PDA

View Full Version : Are there any History majors here????

AutomagRT1483
12-15-2003, 10:30 PM
If so, I need your help. I am definately considering History as my major. What I want to know is what are some good job fields out there for History majors?

Thanks,

03vert
12-15-2003, 10:37 PM
i enjoi my history class even tho im flunkin in it. gotta give a speach in it tomarow too. i like it but i dont know if I would choose it to major in. but it is totally up to you man.

AutomagRT1483
12-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Its more of a question of when than if Im going to do it.:p I just want to be sure of what the jobs are before I declare it in the Spring.

Jeffy-CanCon
12-15-2003, 11:22 PM
If you want to work in the field of history, you have to expect to need an MA or Phd. Unless you want to teach it in elementary or high school, in which case you really just want a BEd and a history minor. Museums hire history BAs, I think. They frequently want some conservation/preservation training, along with a degree.

The thing with history as a degree program is that it really teaches you how to think, how to research facts and how to present and argue your ideas. Like so many other disciplines in the humanities and the social sciences. The skills are useful in any number of jobs in the corporate and the government sectors. I expect it would be a good background for a journalist, too.

Myself, I studied history and political science with an eye to joining the foreign service. They were not hiring when I graduated, and my career has taken me to other government departments, instead.

AutomagRT1483
12-16-2003, 12:13 AM
Thanks Jeffy-CanCon. Any others?

-Carnifex-
12-16-2003, 12:14 AM
I'm thinking an English / History double major, or maybe a minor in History.

RoadDawg
12-16-2003, 12:42 AM
I'm seriously thinking of making my major in history and then getting my teaching credentials and teach High School history. Thing with history is you have several different views of it. The class I'm in currently makes you realize the agenda of the books *two different styles* and then he allows you to decide which one to follow. A good history text book is Howard Zinn's "A People's History Of The United States". He has some interesting views and definatly makes you think. It's definatly not a regular text book. Good reading. I suggest it to anyone.

Jeffy-CanCon
12-16-2003, 11:35 AM
I've heard good things about that book, but have not yet read it.

Good luck to you whatever you go on to do, but especially if you end up teaching. I've had some good and some bad teachers and profs. The best were the ones who engaged the students with history as a story. Facts and dates are dull, but personalities and strange turns of events make history interesting.

Methylphenidate
12-16-2003, 11:41 AM
hey this is kinda off the subject but AutomagRT1483
where are you going to school? i was going to ask you this last weekend but i forgot

RoadDawg
12-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Jeffy-CanCon
I've heard good things about that book, but have not yet read it.

Good luck to you whatever you go on to do, but especially if you end up teaching. I've had some good and some bad teachers and profs. The best were the ones who engaged the students with history as a story. Facts and dates are dull, but personalities and strange turns of events make history interesting.
Ya I've had some pretty boring teacher but it's the professor I have now that has inspired me. Memorizing dates is real boring but when you involve the students and make them think outside the box it becomes fun. The Zinn book is very interesting and he usually puts a interesting but obvious twist on historic events. For example one I read recently was talking about the election of Reagan. Sure he got a huge majority but less then half the people that could vote actually voted. Which as Zinn puts it is not everyone was happy with the candidates. It's a real good book. Some chapters get long but most are real interesting.

AutomagRT1483
12-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Methylphenidate
hey this is kinda off the subject but AutomagRT1483
where are you going to school? i was going to ask you this last weekend but i forgot

UW-Parkside.

Methylphenidate
12-16-2003, 05:15 PM
i know you wont but im gonna say it any way.

dude milwaukee is where its at if you transfer you can come chill with law and myself.
not that law and i have ever even seen each other here
but its the principle of the thing if we wanted to we could.

Rooster
12-16-2003, 07:58 PM
"If so, I need your help. I am definately considering History as my major. What I want to know is what are some good job fields out there for History majors? "

Prepare to say "Do you want fries with that?"

I'm sorry, I love studying history, however you can't make a career of it. Study business and then create a business out of your love for history. Try it the other way around and you'll always be sorry.

AutomagRT1483
12-17-2003, 12:04 AM
Business is going to be my minor. Already got that covered.

Methylphenidate
12-17-2003, 01:04 AM
hey milwaukee has a great business school...
sorry dude, im done now, had to sneak one more in there

AutomagRT1483
12-17-2003, 11:48 PM
I dont think Im going to transfer now, Im already committed with almost 50 credits here. Besides, I dont have the cash to go there. Parkside is cheap enough, otherwise known as in my price range.

Anyone else have some helpful tips????

aaron_mag
12-18-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by AutomagRT1483
If so, I need your help. I am definately considering History as my major. What I want to know is what are some good job fields out there for History majors?

Thanks,

My first degree was in history and economics. My second degree was in computer engineering. Does that answer your question? (note that I have a second degree....why did I do that.....)

cooldawg69
12-18-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm going to double major in Secondary Education History/Social studies and History. Hopefulyl I'll be a history teacher and hopefully a good one. I also had one of those inspirational history teachers. He was my AP American History teacher. Awesome guy, I passed the AP exam too!! WHOOP WHOOP! Anywayz, now I gotta choose college. I want to go to Alabama(alreadt accepted) but out of state is like $16K a year w/ room board etc. I might go to a local college South Carolina-Aiken campus (already accepted) for a few years. Its $4000 a year and I can get enough scholarships to pay for all that. Geez, choices choices. I'm goin to Bama before I graduate, it's just if I'll go freshmen year or transfer later. who knows LOL. Anywayz, got a lil off topic, sorry.

-Casey

Hasty8
12-18-2003, 03:54 PM
If you want to work in the field of history, you have to expect to need an MA or Phd. Unless you want to teach it in elementary or high school, in which case you really just want a BEd and a history minor. Museums hire history BAs, I think. They frequently want some conservation/preservation training, along with a degree.

The thing with history as a degree program is that it really teaches you how to think, how to research facts and how to present and argue your ideas. Like so many other disciplines in the humanities and the social sciences. The skills are useful in any number of jobs in the corporate and the government sectors. I expect it would be a good background for a journalist, too.

Myself, I studied history and political science with an eye to joining the foreign service. They were not hiring when I graduated, and my career has taken me to other government departments, instead.

Any dgree program teach you these skills. My marketing degree has taught me how to evaluate buying patterns by various demographic groups, analyze why those groups purchased that way and create advertising campaigns that will enforce furture purchase along same lines.

These skills can be brought to bear on just about any topic that requires debate. It's just the process of adsorbing the arguement, breaking it down into it's core compenents, analyzing and deconstructing them then creating a defense against them. Just abuot any degree program taeches you these skills.

As for a history degree, your options are limited. My neighbor has a phd in european history and is limited pretty much to a job as a teacher.

Jeffy-CanCon
12-18-2003, 05:24 PM
I didn't mean to imply that degrees outside the arts and humanities don't teach people how to reseach, write and debate. I'm sorry if I did. Those skills are the most broadly marketable part of an arts degree, but are also essential parts of more commercially or technically specialized programs.

Hasty8
12-18-2003, 05:32 PM
I didn't mean to imply that degrees outside the arts and humanities don't teach people how to reseach, write and debate. I'm sorry if I did. Those skills are the most broadly marketable part of an arts degree, but are also essential parts of more commercially or technically specialized programs.

Np. Sorry if my post seemed a tad....snooty. I'm stuck temping today and tomorrow for the most boring company in existance. Phone has rang twice all day.

Collegeboy
12-19-2003, 01:04 AM
I am a History, Russian, and Economic major.

The history major is rather weird. It is for those who love history that want to make it their career (as in teaching or museum work) or want to use it as a spring for other careers. I plan on entering the Foreign Service or go into an International Law program. I might become a professor in the end, but not for a while.

As for careers you can pursue with a history degree. Law schools love history majors, international studies (as in law, diplomacy, etc.......), business (with a business double), etc.... A lot of people put down the history major, but IMO it is a rather useful degree. Especially if combined with another degree. I would also at least minor in a foreign language.

Trigger_Happy
12-19-2003, 01:29 AM
This may have been said. I have to pee too badly to read through it all. If you major in history or english, goo dluck finding a job without 3-7 more years of school. Major in history or english EDUCATION and you're in demand. (although, 'demand' in this case doesn't translate into a large salary) It depends if you want to teach. I know lots of kids who are double majoring in english and ----. One for the love of it, and one for the job. That's another route to go.

AutomagRT1483
12-20-2003, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the assisstance and constructive criticisms guys.