PDA

View Full Version : Marker Decision Help

robertjuric
12-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Ok this is for my little bro.
But first some background info:

Ok my little bro is 13(14 the 20th), and he plays at local place out in the woods with some friends. One of the guys dads has a big co2 tank and they all just pitch in on that and play all day. Most of littke kids out there play with tippmans and the like.

So my brother recently found a deal off of a pothead for an A5 and a 20oz for $120. So I told him to jump on it. Now he is thinking of changing markers. He doesnt want to use HPA b/c the guys there all use C02, so that basically rules out any upgrade in guns or even RT mags. He is also lacking some decent necesseities like a decent mask, and other small stuff like that.

Im thinking his options are either keep the A5 or downgrade and get some cash too and buy some necessities. Ive even thought of a classic mag w/ an expansion chamber setup?? What are AO's opnions??

Barfly
12-15-2003, 11:19 PM
automag air valves run into trouble if you get liquid CO2 in them. Also my cousin use to have an air valve with an expansion chamber and when it got cold (cold as in around 35 degrees) out he was never able to play, because he got liquid CO2 in his valve after very little shooting. An anti-siphon might allow you to play in the cold I don't really know for sure. I would just keep the A-5 since your bro is just going to run CO2 on whatever gun he has.

Look on ebay you might be able to get a good deal on a mask and whatever necessities your bro might need.

robertjuric
12-15-2003, 11:41 PM
I thought the classic valves went w/ co2 ok...oh well.

We thought of keeping the A5, but have you ever tried to take one apart??....that was fun :rolleyes:

I think Im gonna tell him to get a spyder or the like, and take the difference and buy a nice mask and some other gear.

Falcon1
12-16-2003, 12:04 PM
Hey I had a automag with co2 worked fine look here. You could get this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3646301994&category=47245 (http://)

Dayspring
12-16-2003, 12:13 PM
People forget that mags ran on CO2 LONG before nitro ever became popular.

By taking precatutions, the mag will work just fine. An anti-siphon tube will be a good start. A reg (Palmer Stabilizer) or expansion chamber will also do well to keep CO2 out of the valve.

Another thought would be using a remote line. You just can't use one with an anti-siphon tube.

frost
12-16-2003, 12:30 PM
i say just buy a spyder xtra FOR 80 BUCKS NEW AT PBGEAR.com remember when they use to be 190! besides a-5 have to many damn parts

so just get a xtra or a tl+ prefect guns running co2!

bunkermaster10
12-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Sell the A5 get a stock impulse. They run great on co2. And when he wants to have a really nice marker just upgrade the impulse and it will be a beast. Tell him to wait for christmas for mask and stuff from your parents or something.

Branchvillian
12-16-2003, 01:30 PM
As much as I hate imps, he will probably want a nicer gun eventually, and if he's running CO2 an impulse may be his best bet. They get ok, with a LOT of upgrades, but they never get amazing. Better than his A-5 though.

robertjuric
12-16-2003, 04:22 PM
He needs something simple, this would be his first REAL gun, and taking apart that A5 is a real pain, so I thinking he should get something simple to maintain.

Branchvillian
12-16-2003, 05:04 PM
If your looking for something simple to work with, get him a mag with the nesisary things so that liquid co2 won't get into his gun.

Methylphenidate
12-16-2003, 05:33 PM
dude dont listen to these guys get the rest of the gear first a good mask is so vital if your all fogged up it dont matter what gun you have you wont hit shiznit.
then listen to these guys what they are saying about the impulse or stock mag i agree with but first the mask.

Falcon1
12-16-2003, 06:24 PM
I would still say get a Automag they work fine not hard to take apart. Automags Are way better than $100-200 spyder, AND later if you or your bro wants to get a 12v hopper Automag will work Great.;)

bunkermaster10
12-17-2003, 01:23 AM
Yea but honestly they kinda suck w/ Co2 and he probably will run into problems. Impulse is really easy to use. You can take the bolt out in no time. Get you dwell setting right and will have no problems ever. Also if you sold the A-5 you might have like 25ish bucks layin around to get for a alright mask.

robertjuric
12-17-2003, 08:01 AM
See the thing is, he doesnt NEED an impulse, he plays out in the woods with friends, they put their markers through hell. If he ever broke it he'd be royally screwed out there.

I just thing an impulse might be too much for him.

bunkermaster10
12-17-2003, 09:24 AM
I say keep the A-5 then. They're freakin tanks.;)

Falcon1
12-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Go With a mag you can drop them hit trees and they still work and it takes one just one Screw to get the bolt out and clean it so easy. Oh ya and if anything gose bad call ADG and there the best!:D

bunkermaster10
12-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Who is ADG?:confused:

:p

Just keep the a5, he doesn't need anythin real nice since he is balling w/ some friends in a forest. Get him a anti-fog mask for sure though.

robertjuric
12-17-2003, 04:38 PM
What kind of setup would he need to get a mag up and running on Co2?? Just an expansion chamber to start of with, and then an antisiphon tank if possible??

I think Im going to try to fix him up with the mag b/c its so much simpler, and then if he ever does decide to graduate from the woods, he's got a good base to start with. It'd also be easy for him to disassemble and clean.

You think we would be able to get him a mag set up for co2 and maybe enough cash for a decent mask($40 or so) for the A5?? Im not really to sure about their value, so I want to make sure he gets a good deal.

Falcon1
12-17-2003, 05:19 PM
Well all you need for a Automag is a expansion chamber
and thats it Look at this gun on ebay Comes with ok mask if X-ray is what you are looking for but its set to go on co2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3646301994&category=47245 (http://) looks good.

Load SM5
12-17-2003, 05:27 PM
I'd get another mag and run remote CO2. He'd probably love it with a gas through stock. Of course that means I'd have to fix it.;)

He could probably find a used mask for pretty cheap. I'll sell him my old Morph for $40 if he wants it.

No idea what the resale on an A5 is.

Falcon1
12-17-2003, 06:20 PM
Well If the A-5 has some good stuff on it i would say get it. But all and all I still think any mag would be better than a tippmann.;)

robertjuric
12-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Jeff, wanna sell me the Morph for $40?? I was thinking of getting one anyways. They have those easy change lenses dont they?? Im bout fed up with my proflex. I was just thinking of getting my lil bro the Armor or Shield.

And you mean fix it?? Or did you mean kill the reg piston and have the wrong parts to fix it?? :p hehe Im jus playin, you've dont a lot for my mag, I really owe you.

Load SM5
12-18-2003, 12:12 AM
I killed nothing...it was already broken. Keep it up and you don't get that new one. ;)

Morph's yours if you want to buy it.

robertjuric
12-18-2003, 07:21 AM
:D PM'd ya

TheDoveDecends
12-18-2003, 08:32 AM
Classics work fine with C02 as long as the tank is always vertical.. Say in a harness with a remote line. I run my mag on c02 (until i get some money anyway) with a remote.. and everything works great.

Hasty8
12-18-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by robertjuric
I thought the classic valves went w/ co2 ok...oh well.

We thought of keeping the A5, but have you ever tried to take one apart??....that was fun :rolleyes:

I think Im gonna tell him to get a spyder or the like, and take the difference and buy a nice mask and some other gear.

I would say keep the A-5. Let him save up some money and buy the Egrip. I have the Egrip and flatline barrel on mine and it rocks.

And what was wrong with taking the A-5 apart? 3 pins and the grip come off. One more and the back cap come off, allowing the bolt and most of the other internals to come out. Once you are in that state, just run some warm water through it to clean out any broken paint, let it all dry, lub and put it all back together.

I only wish the other markers I have disassembled so easily!

skife
12-18-2003, 03:22 PM
what do you need to "maintain" on an A-5 anyways?
You shoot the hell out of it during the day, come home at night put a few drops of lube in the asa, dry fire it a couple times and your good to go

Besides an e-grip tippy r0x0rs j00r b0x0rs

Ov3rmind
12-18-2003, 05:47 PM
GET A BLAZER

They are made to run on C02, but function like a Cocker (only with less tinkering required for maximum performance). It's also small and light, and Palmer's stuff is always high quality. It'll also cost a little more, but a little saving/earning never hurt anyone.