PDA

View Full Version : question about windows background

e mag
12-17-2003, 06:33 PM
How do I make it so that behind the text for icons it shows the background picture, and not the color of the background.

FreakBaller12
12-17-2003, 06:45 PM
what do you mean?
but if i get it, simply right click and picture and put set as background and it will change it from the standard sold blue color

Army
12-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Right click on whatever picture; choose "set as background" or "set as wallpaper" and left click on that.

Minimize what you have up so the desktop is showing, and right click, then click "properties". Choose "desktop". Go to bottom right of the window, and click on "position". The drop down will ask "center, tile, stretch"...I use stretch to fully fill the desktop.

Be aware, many pictures don't have enough pixels to look good as a giant pic, and you may need "center".

PyRo
12-17-2003, 07:05 PM
I don't think that is what he is asking. I'm not 100% sure how to do it, I know I did.
Right click on desktop
Properties
Apearance tab
Advanced

Its probably in there somwhere.

e mag
12-17-2003, 07:31 PM
hehe, I know how to set a background pic, but the problem is, say the background is the default blue windows color and I set it a a picture. The picture shows, but behind the text under icons it is still the blue color. I'll try to get a pic.

PyRo
12-17-2003, 07:33 PM
Did you read my post? I'm pretty sure the option is in there somewhere.

e mag
12-17-2003, 07:53 PM
i looked in the effects and advanced options in the appearance tab but didnt see an option for it. heres a pic for to clear up what i mean.
http://www.fallingaway.com/ao_upload/e mag_bg.jpg

Digits
12-17-2003, 08:03 PM
I've read about that.. There was some sort of 'mod' type thingie you could download.. But.. I don't really recall.. You COULD try looking around at threeboy.net in the forums.

MarkM
12-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Ok start>control panel>system when open choose advanced tab and then select the performance settings button and then make sure that in the list you have them all selected the important one to have selected is ..use dropshadows on icon labels on desktop 2nd from the bottom on the list
Mine is set to allow windows choose what is best for my computer and this defaults to selecting everything ;) not often is what windows thinks correct but this time it is.

Army
12-17-2003, 09:03 PM
OOooooh! Behind the icons themselves! lol!

OK, right click on the desktop, then properties. Go to "Appearance". If a window that has "desktop" in a drop down menu shows, look to the right of it. THere should be a color selector.

If the window shows "effects" and "Advanced" in the bottom right corner, click on "advanced" and the desktop window should pop-up. Look for the "desktop" again, then the color select next to it. Choose the color you want.

MarkM
12-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Army, he wants a transparent Icon Link so instead of the blue boxes he gets just the words in white.

Like this

http://www.fallingaway.com/ao_upload/markm_icons.jpg

deathstalker
12-17-2003, 11:22 PM
I suggest you just hide your desktop icons altogether. Why worry about the icky blue background when all the icons do is detract from the pic? I haven't used desktop icons in years. Smart file management and Quick Launch is all I need.

gamarada717
12-17-2003, 11:55 PM
I agree with deathstalker.

Ironmag
12-18-2003, 12:03 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's a Windows XP thing only. I noticed the difference when I went to a PC with Windows 98 to XP.