PDA

View Full Version : how old do u have to be to run a shop?

dyeforever
12-18-2003, 03:25 PM
i'm sixteen and wondering if i could open a small shop in my town. what paper would i need to sign and would i need a adult to help me run it.

Jeffy-CanCon
12-18-2003, 03:45 PM
That would all depend on your state & local laws, and on the willingness of suppliers to deal with someone your age. In theory, there is nothing wrong with it at any age, though you might need an adult to sign the contracts and such. In Canada sixteen would be old enough, I think.

Xyxyll
12-18-2003, 04:34 PM
You wouldn't own the shop. Your parents would. They would have to get the loan, pay the fees, and buy the inventory (good luck paying for everything in cash w/o your parents cc).

p8ntball1016
12-18-2003, 04:37 PM
i dont know about an actual shop, but an internet business sure. the field a-hole has a business licence and runs a site.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
12-18-2003, 04:39 PM
minors can't sign legal binding contracts, so NO.

cphilip
12-18-2003, 05:23 PM
You gotta be 18 to sign a legal document in the USofA. So you gotta be 18 to apply for a business license and such as that. Sign a lease. Set up a credit account with a supplier. All that stuff.

bryceeden
12-18-2003, 06:28 PM
I started my own compleatly legal paintball shop at 17, but you have to have a cosigner for any loans or such.

TZummer
12-18-2003, 06:29 PM
If he could get emancipated couldn't he be allowed to perform all those actions. Though I wouldn't by any means get emancipated just to own a paintball shop.

dyeforever
12-19-2003, 02:42 AM
i guess i gotta wait two years then.:( i got two year to make alot of money:rolleyes: better start now then never

bryceeden
12-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Thats probably a good idea. Wile it is possable to start befor you turn 18 very few people will take you seriously, and you have to work twice as hard to make things work out.

cphilip
12-19-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by bryceeden
I started my own compleatly legal paintball shop at 17, but you have to have a cosigner for any loans or such.

Umm... the cosigner is the legal responsible party if your under 18. So saying you started it is not entirely correct. You could not have without someone being legaly responsible for you. Better to say "WE" started it.

Oddball
12-19-2003, 09:36 AM
Well if he started it and had say his mom & dad cosign but didn't do anything else, I would say he did all the work and it was his business. My parents cosigned for my morgage (sp?) for my house but I make the payments each month and payed the down-payment, I say I bought the house, not we bought it.

bryceeden
12-19-2003, 02:04 PM
I look at it like oddball said. I do the work and pay the bills, so I consider it mine.

cphilip
12-19-2003, 03:42 PM
You can consider it all you want. You can work it all you want... Fact is it not so legaly.

SlartyBartFast
12-19-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by dyeforever
i got two year to make alot of money:rolleyes:

Then you can lose it all running a paintball shop. :D

bryceeden
12-20-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by cphilip
You can consider it all you want. You can work it all you want... Fact is it not so legaly.
OK, well the second I turned 18 we went and took their names off everything we could.

Ok back to the threads topic, yes you could open a store now(with cosigners), but I wouldn't recomend it, and with Tippmann and Worr setting minnimum advertised prices on thier stuff in two years maybe more companies will follow suit and there could be some actual money to be made.

Kevmaster
12-20-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by SlartyBartFast
Then you can lose it all running a paintball shop. :D

how true....

I've been there first hand, don't bother wasting money in a paintball shop....thees no money there