PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons of macroline vs. ss line

Yoda
12-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Never had to install hose and fittings b4.
Anyone have strong opinions one way or the other for using macroline vs. steel braided on an X-Mag?
Any major dos or don'ts to be aware of?

Again sorry for lame questions, just getting back up to speed here after a few years off.

Y

dyst0pia
12-18-2003, 11:45 PM
I have always used ss line simply because of how strong it is. I have heard too many macroline horror stories...bleh...

SS is a lot harder to install since it isn't as flexible, but it isn't impossible to put on. Just make sure you get the right lengths.

AkumA
12-19-2003, 12:19 AM
^^what he said.

i've seen a lot of mag owners on the field with macro lines. rarely you'll hear a really loud "POP" noise. thats the macro line poping off.

i use ss lines, again bc its strong. buy some quick disconects if you want to disasemble quickly.

a local airsmith can also help you with lines and fittings.

lamby
12-19-2003, 02:48 AM
when I first got my emag I was messing around with my tank pressure and bumped it to 950 psi. The macroline blew up and right where my finger was.. It was not pretty and left a nice welt and cut. I used stainless since then.

My problem now is I have 2 markers and 2 tanks that I have to interchange. Proconnects are REALLY expensive so I went back to macroline because I cant run the disconnects like I like.

So macro is easier and cheaper, but stainless is better.

No Excuse
12-19-2003, 06:34 AM
Macro line is only rated to 300psi. The fact that for safety it can operate at 3 times its operating pressure is the only reason why you can use it on most guns without the fittings blowing.

Here in the UK some of us have upgraded to hose rated at 900psi, the components are much better quality than macro line fittings and you still get the quick disconnect and cut to size benefits.

So far no one with the upgraded hose has had a problem.

Yoda
12-19-2003, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all your help.
Sounds like stainless is safer for the higher pressure mag.
Does anyone know if the higher rated (900 psi) macroline hose is available in the US in case I want to check that out?

rmhawk
12-19-2003, 12:49 PM
I have never had a problem with Macroline. I have it on my emag set at 950 psi. SS can scratch the **** out of your gun. I guess one bad thing about macroline is that if you were to snag it on something, it could pull off and you'll lose your air if you don't have a on/off on your tank. But that's no big deal. I prefer macroline over SS.

AGDlover
12-19-2003, 03:08 PM
i use micro line on my mag i'm running it 850 out-put on my tank and i never had a problem

chris99506
12-21-2003, 03:05 PM
a macro line will work perfectly if you install it right, just make sure you cut the macro hose a little bit longer than you need and make sure you cut it perfectly straight and not at an angle, i used a bandsaw for my first macro line set up and on the second i used a good pair of pruning sheers, the kind that can cut branches like a hot knife through butter, and have had no problems

TheDoveDecends
12-21-2003, 05:13 PM
i prefer macroline, especially if you have it going from an ASA to a gas threw grip.. and if so.. ss going to the valve. such as on my marker(in my sig)

Pbplayer300
12-22-2003, 12:50 AM
I've always used micro line and i've only had one problem. When i used to use co2 i left it behind a tree so it would be in the sun and make the micro line bust. But what i didnt realize is that the sun rotates and my gun ended up in the sun. Then i heard a loud pop and I had blown my micro line into 3 differnt pieces. So i suggest ss hoses.

rmhawk
12-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Pbplayer300
I've always used micro line and i've only had one problem. When i used to use co2 i left it behind a tree so it would be in the sun and make the micro line bust. But what i didnt realize is that the sun rotates and my gun ended up in the sun. Then i heard a loud pop and I had blown my micro line into 3 differnt pieces. So i suggest ss hoses.

Does anyone even make microline anymore? I think they quit making microline because of problems like that. Macroline is thicker and stronger than microline.

Ginjiroku
12-22-2003, 05:22 PM
micro line is supposed to be horrable but macro line should easily withstand 800-850psi it is easyer to work with but steel hose is more reliable.

chris99506
12-22-2003, 06:00 PM
it really just comes down to preference ss will never fail you while macro is not likely to screw up if installed correctly

xen_100
12-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by No Excuse
Macro line is only rated to 300psi. The fact that for safety it can operate at 3 times its operating pressure is the only reason why you can use it on most guns without the fittings blowing.

Here in the UK some of us have upgraded to hose rated at 900psi, the components are much better quality than macro line fittings and you still get the quick disconnect and cut to size benefits.

So far no one with the upgraded hose has had a problem.

not true in the least.......I use parker parflex marco lien and it is rated for 800PSI working pressure and 3000PSI burst. if you can blow that up, I invite you to try.

I have use macroline on everygun I own. I have the same 3 year old piece of it on my spyder that has been there forever. it is easier to cut and mount and if you dont try to take it off your gun when it is aired up (like some people do) then it will last forever.

rmhawk
12-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by xen_100

I have use macroline on everygun I own. I have the same 3 year old piece of it on my spyder that has been there forever. it is easier to cut and mount and if you dont try to take it off your gun when it is aired up (like some people do) then it will last forever.

:D

No Excuse
12-23-2003, 12:05 PM

not true in the least.......I use parker parflex marco lien and it is rated for 800PSI working pressure and 3000PSI burst. if you can blow that up, I invite you to try.
forever.

The hose itself would stand it, but the fittings would not. I dont need to do the test as it has already been performed, the fittings failed.

The hose itself is rated quite highly. However as we all know it is the fittings that fail, this is especially dangerous because the inner part of the push fitting can be propelled at high speeds.

The fittings are only rated at 300psi, the fact that they usually withstand up to 1000psi is a testement to the testing criteria in place. However if you are putting more than 300psi through your fittings then you are running outside the intended operating parameters.

One poor fellow who's macro line burst at Tolouse this year was struck in the eye by part of the elbow fitting and it detached his retina. He was laid up in a French hospital for weeks unable to see or communicate in French.

He is in legal proceedings now due to the fact that macroline (fittings) is sold to be used with pressures upwards of 800psi when it is only rated for 300.

If I were you I wouldnt advise anyone to use macroline, because I woulnt be able to cope if someone sustained an injury because of an inadequate peice of hardware I advised them to get.

Many people over here in the UK have purchased uprated fittings which are visibly much more susbtantial than the normal macro line ones, they are one level above the macroline fittings in terms of operating pressure.
Samples of these have been tested to destruction at >3000 psi.

rmhawk
12-23-2003, 12:25 PM
WOW!

No Excuse - Where does one buy these uprated fittings? What are they called?

xen_100
12-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by No Excuse

The hose itself would stand it, but the fittings would not. I dont need to do the test as it has already been performed, the fittings failed.

The hose itself is rated quite highly. However as we all know it is the fittings that fail, ............

ok I will buy that.....you did say the hose is what was rated to 300 PSI. that was my only point :)

No Excuse
12-23-2003, 01:44 PM
http://muchos.co.uk/members/toma/fittings%202.jpg

Here are the fittings I use. As you can see they are somewhat larger than standard macroline fittings, and the inner collar is a solid tube design. The head swivels in relation to the nut to reduce stress when pressured up.

They are not available from any paintball sources as far as I am aware.
Someone in the UK is supplying these as he has contacts in the engineering industry.

I feel very safe with these fittings, and try to stay away from anyone with a high pressure gun such as an Angel or mag who is still using the old fittings.

I would suggest if you cant find these fittings that you use braided hose.

No Excuse
12-23-2003, 01:50 PM

ok I will buy that.....you did say the hose is what was rated to 300 PSI. that was my only point :)

My apologies.

xen_100
12-23-2003, 02:19 PM
if you find out what manufacturer makes these fittings lets us know. I am in no way against more safty (when it only costs a few bucks extra to do it.)

Yoda
12-24-2003, 01:21 AM
Thank you for all the opinions and information.

If anyone ever tracks down the heavier duty fittings, please post.
Sounds like a promising option.

This is a very informed group and your knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated.

Y

68magOwner
12-24-2003, 02:13 AM
i would go with ss because- ive had macro explode on me....4 times :( ive also had macro fittings explode and cut open my chin (test firing in back yard, no mask, luckly chinm not eye) and ive had no problems with SS other than it scratching anything it touches, be shure to wrap it with heat shrink tubing, or electrical tpe befor allowing it near your marker. (sorry if these points were previously posted, dint read all posts)

toma
01-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Hi guys, i am the person marketing the high pressure fittings. These fittings have a guaranteed working pressure of 900psi. i have had them professionally tested, and at 4300psi the hose failed but the fittings were as good as new. These fittings also connect and dissconnect far easier than the existing ones, as they have a dual seal system which holds the hose straight in the fitting. The hose i sell with the fittings has a guaranteed working pressure of 1500psi and is similar to the hose supplied by WDP for their Angels.

I am regularly on the P8Talk forum in Britain, under my name Tom Allen, and my e-mail address is i2i@ntlworld.com.

I have no problems with supplying anyone in America, as i already export these fittings to several countries.

No Excuse
01-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Toma is indeed the guy who I bought my uprated macroline fittings from.

These are as safe as SS line with all the advantages of macroline.

SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

toma
01-06-2004, 12:04 PM
No Excuse, thanks for the plug. I shall be putting up a new thread in the dealers forum, describing the fittings and all the safety aspects relating to them tonight. This will include prices.

Yoda
01-06-2004, 12:49 PM
It looks like we may have found a nice solution to the higher pressure macroline issues. Great forum.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention toma and No Excuse. I can't wait to get mine and try it out.

GT
01-06-2004, 12:56 PM
neither.... I use grease whips

Yoda
01-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Just got the high pressure fittings and hose from Toma.
Thanks T. for great, fast service even from across the pond.

These are quality parts and I feel very confident using these on guns with higher operating pressure over the current macroline stuff out there. I know there are those that HAVE had issues with other hose/fitting options AND those that HAVEN'T, so your opinions of whether the upgrade is neccessary will vary.

And since I am now an airsmith expert (NOT) ...
I have one last question. What color loctite (or other) thread lock do you recommend for the air fittings?

Thanks again for all the info.
Y

toma
01-20-2004, 04:48 PM
For my fittings, you don't need any other means of sealing other than the o-ring installed on them, as long as they are going into my adaptors or a flat face. I have played a full day with the fittings only hand tight, without a sign of a leak.
For the adaptors i still swear by ptfe tape, and as long as you keep the tape off the open end you will have no adverse results with it. For those who like loctite use the green threadlock 270.
Yoda, glad to see you're happy, put the hose in and see how easy they are to release, but make sure you pass the 2 seals.

Yoda
01-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Yoda laughing (quietly to himself) LQTH?

First thing I did was try the hose in the fitting. The double clamping is what convinced me about the quality of the design. That, and the (perceived) strength of the hose. This stuff looks and feels stronger. It is hard to imagine the hose popping out of the fitting or bursting. Thanks for the peace of mind.

Y

toma
01-20-2004, 05:07 PM
If you need to bend the hose, boil a kettle and hold the hose over the steam. Then over bend the hose until you get the required radius. Immediately cool the hose under cold water and the hose will remain bent and retain its full pressure capability.

rdb123
01-20-2004, 09:15 PM
toma, are you able to accept credit card orders?

toma
01-21-2004, 05:45 AM
I'm afraid not, but the turn around is fairly quick, as i will send off the goods to you as soon as the cheque arrives.

the larch
01-21-2004, 08:13 PM
post to follow thread. Building a mag and want to watch this thread thanks.

Smitty2k1
01-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Ok, so for my dumb question...

How come every time macroline has burst on me (which has been quite a few times) it has happened on the hose, at least a half inch or so from the macro fittings?

By the way, I use SS hosing on my mag, not because it makes me feel safer, but because macro bursting is just annoying...

toma
01-22-2004, 06:35 AM
Probably the highest stress is at that point, do you try and heat the tube to get a bend in it first. If you heat it over the steam of a kettle to preform the bend, then it handles pressure better than just bending cold.