PDA

View Full Version : Turbo rev

mag59459
12-03-2001, 09:10 PM
I'm writing this product review that anyone using a vl revolution should read. I just got the new Turborev http://www.wickedairsportz.com/products/turborev.htm from wicked air sportz and I have nothing but good things to say about it so far. You can read the info on that site or look at the videos at that site. I did my own test, I used my stock 9v revolution and counted how many balls it would shake out in 10 seconds. Then I did it with my revolution after I upgraded it. Before the upgrade my hopper went as fast as 68 balls in 10 seconds or 6.8 bps, not to good I know. The tubro rev which not only makes a cool sound when it runs, has a sweet multicolor LED light on it and a nice on/off switch went as fast as 14.6 BPS!(pretty fast for a revolution) It would go even faster on a gun due to the recoil. This will help out my e-mag a lot. The 9v upgrade first of all makes your hopper a 12v revolution(including the agitator) and then adds the computer chip of the turbo rev. It should work even better if I ever get a warpfeed. Anyone else get this? How did it work for you long term?

Oregon_pb_
12-03-2001, 11:27 PM
I JUST got mine in today. Ordered 5 for me and my shop, 1 sold with 3 already on hold. The demand is there, now if the product holds up they be raking in the dough.

I did some raw tests and i am pleased at the results, I haven't had time to run it on a gun or count the paint through it, when i do i'll post my results.

I run a emag too, i think this will fix all my problems... Before i broke prolly 1-3 balls a day, now we can possibly get that down to 0.

damageinc54
12-04-2001, 01:21 AM
I have had two turbo revs for 4 months now. One problem is that they eat your batteries like mad! DO NOT leave your batteries in the loader after you play and I would suggest a new set of batteries every time you play if you want it to work at peak performance. If your batteries are low the board will shut itself off. Another thing is I do not agree with wicked air's claim of the BPS feed rate. It shot without missing a beat on my gun at 9 BPS. Turn your gun up to about 12-13 BPS and go full auto or just shoot really fast in semi for a sustained amount of time and you will most likely chop a ball. One of my team mates tested my turbo rev on his angel at 13 BPS full auto and it consistently chopped paint. Other than these issues I do like the board. I would use it over the sunboard or x-board any day. That is until the HALO gets released :p

Muzikman
12-04-2001, 09:06 AM
When you get one that works, they work well. I have had two now that showed up DOA.

rudy
12-04-2001, 09:48 AM
will i dont agree with thier feed claims either i did some controlled test and found it to be slower then my really old revolution it may have been before there was problem with the delay i dont know, it had a tendency to kick the balls away more then the revolution i was pushing feed rates as low as 8 bps out of 100 rounds in a hopper, then i switched to a 6 prong paddle and the thing started getting a more reliable 10.5 bps or so cause it wasnt kicking them away from the feed neck and it came in a about even or maybe slighty better then the revolution. well i was just glad in the end there was not a decrease in performance eventhough it cost me and extra 11$ after shipping for that new paddle. I do like the new on/off switch but i think the product is mostly hype and im not either that or there is something wrong with my setup cause i am not gettign anywhere near 16 bps

WickedAirSportz
12-05-2001, 01:46 AM
In order to obtain the maximum performance, the 4 blade impeller must be bent as flat as possible, so that the blades rub the side (severely). Yes, this does slow down the motor some, and this is normal operation.

If the blades are not bent flat, expect no less than a 1.5 bps reduction in free drop tests, and up to 4 bps reduction in on-gun tests. The magic of HOW the TurboRev really works greatly depends on the blades sitting as flat as possible.

As far as DOA units, we have had only one TurboRev come back actually bad. Others that have been returned have all tested fine. Before the TurboRevs were first shipped we built a testing fixture so that every unit can be "burned in". Each unit is burned in before the customer gets it, and that is how we can offer a lifetime warranty on this product.

manike
12-05-2001, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by WickedAirSportz
The magic of HOW the TurboRev really works greatly depends on the blades sitting as flat as possible.

Magic is a good description of your claims for this loader.

First it was 18bps, then it was 16bps... you're description of how you say it works is pure magic if it will work like that (I'll answer in your post describing how it works). That speed is very very fast, take a look at the videos of the E-mag with Halo at that speed and then post one of a gun achieving that with your loader :)

The best independent review of your loader as on warpig showed that it could achieve a reliable 13bps but not 14bps. When you look at it from an overall point of view, comparing when you have a full hopper and an almost empty hopper then you can see that the Richochet is better.

It is an improvement over a standard rev, and I will not nock that, but it does not stand up to your claims and is not a very noticeable improvement over the X board loader or the Richochet. I do believe you design helps but I believe this to be mainly due to the fact that it simply slows the paddles down once it has started feeding and thus is less likely to ping pong the balls around inside of the hopper. I put all three hoppers through a serious practical test at the World Cup (with about 2 cases of paint), with a lot of people watching, The Turbo Rev was better than a standard Rev, but most people watching also felt the Richochet performed better.

manike

WickedAirSportz
12-05-2001, 11:46 AM
The test that showed 18 bps was conducted by APG, not us. We see skipping at this speed, so we rate it at 16 bps.

The Warpig review did only 10 round bursts. The TurboRev software requires no less than 16 balls (and no more than 32) in order to syncronize the paddle to the bolt cycling.

Other independant tests, some by amatuer teams (world cup/pan-am) show consistant 14-15 bps with Angels, which have a ROF display. Recent tests over a Mark IV chrono show this also to be the case.

The issue of the TurboRev not feeding as fast as with 15 or fewer balls in the hopper is being addressed, although we were not too concerned about this few of balls having to be dumped in a second or less... if you are down to 15 balls left, you better be thinking about a flag pull. :-)

manike
12-05-2001, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by WickedAirSportz
The TurboRev software requires no less than 16 balls (and no more than 32) in order to syncronize the paddle to the bolt cycling.

So if every time I was to shoot my gun I would have to shoot a burst of at least 16 balls to get it to work as you claim? If I don't shoot a burst of AT LEAST 16 Balls then it wouldn't 'synchronise' and give me any advantage (not that I believe it can syhnchronise I'm just asking out of interest).

manike

p.s. The ROF display on an Angel is known to 'overcount' ;) try checking it with an oscilloscope sometime...

WickedAirSportz
12-05-2001, 12:20 PM
So if every time I was to shoot my gun I would have to shoot a burst of at least 16 balls to get it to work as you claim? If I don't shoot a burst of AT LEAST 16 Balls then it wouldn't 'synchronise' and give me any advantage (not that I believe it can syhnchronise I'm just asking out of interest).

You need a stream of at least 16 balls in order for it to reach its maximum potential. While reaching the maximum potential, the feeding may initially get worse for the first few balls, before getting better. It may take 4-8 balls before the feeding gets better, but it eventually makes it faster as long as the stream is constant... this is where the time between balls falling is between 60ms and 100ms, anything out side of this gap will not allow syncronizing. In this case, the motor speed becomes fixed to a value that was determined to work well with the 4 blade impeller. During a free fall test, you always get a ball that does meet the time requirement and throws the whole routine off.

The routine is flexible, allowing the rate of fire to vary up and down by a margin and adjusting the motor speed to accomodate the changes. Again, this is not an exact science, it is an approximation algorithm.

Russ
12-05-2001, 12:23 PM
I've been using one for a few months. I agree that it's a battery hog, but to only 1 of the batteries. Best to check 'em with a voltmeter so you don't replace 1 for nothing. The unit will shut down when the battery voltage gets too low. Not cool :(

In actual playing, there really isn't a noticable difference in performance. I'm reading about all theses feed tests being performed, 16 shot strings so the software can adapt, syncronized bolt cycling, etc., but I find it doesn't help my game. I don't stand still and fire an entire hopper full of paint, at a steady ROF, so any benefits to the TurboRev are negligable.

Too often in this sport we spend big bucks for no performance gains whatsoever. It's your $40, spend it wisely ;)

WickedAirSportz
12-05-2001, 12:32 PM
Yes, the battery issue is a pain. :-\

Only one of the two batteries powers the computer, and the voltage regulators seem to vary substantially in their quiesent current requirements.

If you don't shoot a ton of paint in big bursts, the TurboRev won't give you the maximum performance. The back players love the TurboRev for the performance, and the front players love the ability to turn the hopper on its side and still fire without skipping (another benefit of the 'timing').

Also, shutting off the hopper motor when you are low/out of paint has saved a lot of players from getting bunkered. :-)

Scorch
12-05-2001, 02:33 PM
Unplugging the batteries is not such a big deal and I have not noticed a shorter life that with the stock board.

After "Hyping" the performance at my local shop, I brought it by and loaned it to one of the fastest shooters I know. He then WAILED thru hopper after hopper on his brand new Dark Angel.

His ROF was consistent and fast. With 1-2 skips during 4 hoppers... shooting half hopper length strings, we called it good. The Angel read 14 or 15 bps each time we checked it. It was amazing.

Scorch