PDA

View Full Version : Emag charger gets smokin hot!

Carbon
12-19-2003, 08:45 PM
I posted this in the tech forums but got no replys.

Brand new Emag, about 3 days old. Tried to charge my emag bttery, ive shot about 13,000 or shots on it. Im using a Radioshack 12v 500 mAh.

Light blinks green a few secs, then red a few secs, then STAYS green (trickle mode i suppose, according to the instruction sheet). Then i notice the smell of burning electronics. The chrger is very warm to the touch, the batterey is fine. Needless to say i unplugged it, im not doing that again.

Previously, i tried to charge the batterey in my car, blew 2 adapter fuses. I do not want to buy an $80 charger and have the same results.

Ive done a search:

Ive plugged the battery, then the cord, the the wall adapter trick. Still the same results.

Needless to say im kinda dissapointed this had to happen. I just bought an $800 gun im afraid to recharge. Please help me!

Thnx! word.

Carbon
12-19-2003, 09:25 PM
Bump

Cmon guys im loosing faith here!

word.

RRfireblade
12-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Well basically,

Get a multimeter,test the output of the wall adapter.With a load on it would be better if possible.

Plug in the Emag adapter,check the voltage coming out of that.

Hook up the battery and check the voltage going to the battery while connected.You may have to hook up some small test leads first that will hang out after the battery is hooked up.

That should basically tell you where the prob lies.Either somethings not putting out the right voltage or something is shorted or gets shorted during the connectiion.

My guess is the Emag charger may be shorted or damaged in some way creating the same results but that's just a wild guess.And lastly if all that checks out,the battery could be defective.

Good luck,
Jay.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
12-19-2003, 10:27 PM
same thing happend to me. only smoke came out of my charger. just call the agd tech support and tell them. i personally went to the agd building and got replacement parts for FREE!

Carbon
12-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Thnx snyper! yeah smoke kinda went outta mine also, from where the plug goes in.

I guess its safe to say i got a bum charger. When i get the charger replaced do i have to send in my gun with an RA# or can i just send in my charger with RA#?

Thnx for the help yall, keep em comin if yat more tid bits of info.

Word.

BlackVCG
12-19-2003, 11:45 PM
Don't waste your time trying to figure out what is wrong.

It's a brand new charger and it's junk.

Just call AGD Tech Support, tell them what you told us and they'll get a new one out to you. If they're still doing things they way they have at the factory, they'll send one to you that day and take your CC number. If you don't send in the old one, they'll charge you for the new one, otherwise the replacement charger is free under warranty.

Also, just FYI. It's best not to use the cheap RS wall adapters, since they are unregulated. RS sells a larger, regulated power supply that will let you plug your car adapter into and charge your battery that way. This is a much safer way to charge your battery in your house.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
12-20-2003, 12:46 AM
err...agd told me to purchase a rs wall adapter to charge my battery

sps16
12-20-2003, 12:48 AM
that sucks carbon :(

Carbon
12-20-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by sps16
that sucks carbon :(

Geez tell me about, fortunately im not playin any pball this week. Hey how do ya like yet lt3 trigger? Is it really easy to walk as they say it is?

Wynken
12-20-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by BlackVCG
Also, just FYI. It's best not to use the cheap RS wall adapters, since they are unregulated. RS sells a larger, regulated power supply that will let you plug your car adapter into and charge your battery that way. This is a much safer way to charge your battery in your house.

What're you using Steve? Or does yours not count as a "cheap" radio shack charger?

Personally, I don't think it should matter too much, you just need to make sure that the wall charger supplies probably 1000mA @ 12V. Regulated or unregulated shouldn't matter that much because it's regulated internal to the charger.

But, that's just how I understand it.

felony
12-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Just went out yesterday and got the RS 12v 1500mA charger.. seemed to charge fine..

LMK if I should not be using this.. I searched the forums and read that that was the best charger from RS to use..

dan