PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Kits and Bore Sizing

jewie27
12-20-2003, 05:49 AM
I know that the kits are made to match the paintball sizes, but heres one thing I was wondering....

Since the inserts or backs of these kits only fit the ball in the back section of the barrel, what about the front part of the barrel. Once the ball leaves the back part of the barrel, doesn't it bounce around the bigger front section and leave the barrel like a normal barrel without inserts? It somewhat makes sense to match your paint and barrel, but it only fits the back section of the barrel.

I hope you understand the question.

deathstalker
12-20-2003, 08:28 AM
Tom's answer:
http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/02_boresize.shtml

However, he states at the end they haven't tested two-piece barrels.

rikkter
12-20-2003, 09:14 AM
hm it'd be interesting to see Tom run that test again but with two piece barrel kits.
i noticed the ends are always bigger to and such, and now makes me more interested in how there flight patterns change, if it does anyways

RRfireblade
12-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Bore sizing is done primarily to give a more consistant acceleration of the ball up to the desired velocity.Having a snug fit between the ball and the barrel helps to even out much of the inconsistancy between ball size and shape and helps to maintain a more repeatable breach pressure.Consistancy is where your accuracy comes from.

Unfortunately,we are limited primariy by the "inconsistancy" in PBall size,shape and often weight.No matter how "perfect" your marker performs,accuracy as a whole will always be limited by that.

A side note to bore sizing is if your shooting a closed bolt marker,it keeps your balls off the floor.;) (don't roll out of the barrel)

Jay.

jewie27
12-20-2003, 04:16 PM
I said the ajustable bore barrels only ajust the BACK section of the barrel. What about the front part of the barrel. So first the ball fits perfectly and then travels down the barrel; does it still fit the same? I don't think so.

RRfireblade
12-20-2003, 04:31 PM
The balls all ready on it way,the tip does nothing after that,you could remove the tip and it would still shoot the same except for the sound.

Jay.

theraidenproject
12-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade
The balls all ready on it way,the tip does nothing after that,you could remove the tip and it would still shoot the same except for the sound.

Jay.
Not with the Scepter. "Oh crap! My insert fell out!"
He's right though, two of my friends routinely play with only the back half of two-piece barrels and it works fine.

Ginjiroku
12-20-2003, 10:26 PM
the tips are all ported so if you read this (http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/01_barrel_eff.shtml) you will see that the ported sections of barrels do nothing except improve accuracy slightly by keeping the ball going straight for a little longer. and I don't really know about the ball bouncing in the front of the barrel but the ball isn't speeding up when it reaches the end anyway so it probably slows down a little.