PDA

View Full Version : Good switchblades? And NJ laws on them?

theraidenproject
12-21-2003, 12:30 AM
I'm looking around ebay for a switchblade, but I don't know what to look for. I have about $40 max for one, and I want to make sure I get a quality one. Are the S&W ones good? What other brands should I look for?
Regarding NJ laws, I found this page:
http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/nj.txt
Would carrying it in preperation to peel an apple be considered an "explainable lawful purpose"? I do eat them quite often. ;) Seriously, how could I explain possesion of one? Also, would me being a minor change anything?
Thanks a lot.

Spleen
12-21-2003, 03:03 AM
Bah, just get one.:D

Just dont start showing it to everyone and waving it around in public.

Around here its illegal to own/posess/carry a balisong, but I have one. Just be mature about it and what are they goona do..

But on the other hand, if it is illegal where you are, then it is illegal...

Fixion
12-21-2003, 03:18 AM
Here in Oregon its not illegal to own a butterfly knife (balisong), but it its illegal to own a switchblade. Althought no one cares if you own one. Cops might confiscate it if they see you with one, but I have never heard of it happening.

p8ntball1016
12-21-2003, 07:07 AM
hey i have a japanese saber so i dont see why a switchblade would be illegal.

Tunaman
12-21-2003, 07:27 AM
switchlades ARE illegal in NJ and I wouldnt want to have to explain it to a trooper

Albinonewt
12-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Tunaman
switchlades ARE illegal in NJ and I wouldnt want to have to explain it to a trooper

Tuna is right. Now, that being said, if you wanted to keep one in your home and NOT carry it on you it is unlikely any harm would come to you. But I would not want to carry it around with you.

God forbid a cop should search you for any reason and find that on you. It's too much of a risk.

1stdeadeye
12-21-2003, 08:31 AM
You can not own any automatic knives in NJ! If you want one to carry, get a swiss army knife! Safe and legal!

RRfireblade
12-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Legally,you can carry one (maybe)if you can show you have limited dexterity in your hands,ostero-arthritis for instance.

As far as quality,$40 isn't much for a "quality" knife.You'd have to go with an S&W or a Knife Tech or the like.A good automatic would be like a Boker or a Benchmark on up to a Microtech or so.'Course there are many brands out there and it's really hard to buy an unknown/unfamiliar brand without seeing it in person.

Jay.

1stdeadeye
12-21-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by RRfireblade
Legally,you can carry one (maybe)if you can show you have limited dexterity in your hands,ostero-arthritis for instance.

Not in New Jersey! Hell we are not even allowed to pump our own gas up here. They sure aren't going to let our knives open themselves up!;)

RRfireblade
12-21-2003, 11:18 AM
:( yeah,that's probably true,that's why I added "maybe".

New York was just as bad even though I owned stuff like that there as well.Looking back,it's not really worth the risk to carry around.

Now I live in Florida,land of the FREE and INSANE.You can buy and carry almost anything.They sell auto knives,crossbows,brass knuckles etc at the flea market.You know when I moved down here I tried to register my guns and they wouldn't even take the serial numbers.

Crazy.

Jay.

Mateo
12-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Just save up some money and get yourself a good tactical knife. A good knife for your money probably comes up out of Columbia River. Search it, good blades and designs.

theraidenproject
12-21-2003, 04:00 PM
Allright, I guess the switchblade is out. I already have this one, so I guess that's all I need for now.
http://www.agrussell.com/var/storage/original/image/phpRS2I3f.jpg
I have the smaller one, but with the serrated edge.

illshowumyramrod
12-21-2003, 04:02 PM
just a question.... what r u really going to use the switchblade for :D ???

theraidenproject
12-21-2003, 04:12 PM
To stick you up!!!!;)

Firedude
12-21-2003, 10:30 PM
If you do end up getting an automatic knife, get a Benchmade. Great quality and price.

Sunshine
12-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Benchmade is my personal fave
check out the T-Light also

theraidenproject
12-21-2003, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, but I'm not picking one up after all.