PDA

View Full Version : best trilogy-vote now

phantomhitman
12-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Well, this came up at work yesterday to much arguing. I am not arguing anything, just vote for your opinion. no descriptions neccesary.

update-the star wars are the original 3, not the 3 new ones.

TraXeR
12-21-2003, 03:02 PM
You do realize that Star Wars is 6 movies, not a trilogy. :rolleyes:

Sir_Brass
12-21-2003, 03:04 PM
We're talking the original trilogy, not the cashcow trillogy (eps 1-3). You know, the only Star Wars trilogy that can compete decently.

Jeremizzle
12-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Star Wars---The Classic

fire1811
12-21-2003, 03:17 PM
well if its the 3 classic star wars then its that hands down.

AFRaven
12-21-2003, 04:03 PM
What about "Die Hard" and "Back to the Future"?

Restola
12-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Or Indiana Jones

illshowumyramrod
12-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by AFRaven
What about "Die Hard" and "Back to the Future"?

i thought the first die hard was good, but i didn't like any of the others. I thought the rest was too different from the first one, but that is my opinion

-=Squid=-
12-21-2003, 04:21 PM
My vote goes to the matrix. I love all three listed trilogies, but the matrix is the only film that is truly unique in every single way. Those films took a lot of ingenuity...

phantomhitman
12-21-2003, 04:37 PM
yes, the first 3 star wars. if it wa the last 3 i wouldnt even bother listing it. i liked die hard, but it is not on the same level as these. back to the future was also great, but not the same. indiana jones would be close though, but i thought there were only 2?

Vash02
12-21-2003, 04:56 PM
without a doubt, starwars. Think about all that they were able to accomplish with those movies and then consider the technology that was available for them to do it with. Simply amazing.

I agree that the indiana jones movies were really good and i liked the back to the future series too.

dansim
12-21-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
My vote goes to the matrix. I love all three listed trilogies, but the matrix is the only film that is truly unique in every single way. Those films took a lot of ingenuity...

are you saying starwars wasnt completely unique?

ASDadam
12-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Star Wars utalizing what they had at the time blows away all the fancy scenes in the Matrix. You can still look at scenes from Star Wars and wonder how the hell did they do that, not so with the Matrix.

BobTheCow
12-21-2003, 07:02 PM
As an overall trilogy (keeping in mind PLOT and all that other good stuff), anybody who picked the Matrix deserves to be shot. Now. Preferably repeatedly.

Toss-up between SW and LOTR... meh I'll go with LOTR, because the books were awesome too. :)

RenagadeOfFunk
12-21-2003, 07:04 PM
I go for the matrix and the lord of the rings...they have the "deepest" story lines which are very interesting...

....is the matrix real....can I dodge paintballs?

....is there one ring to rule them all....is it my school ring?

...see what i mean ;)

Strider
12-21-2003, 09:43 PM
LotR. I never thought I'd outrank Starwars on my favorite movies list... But LotR was a childhood wet dream come true for me.

The first matrix deserves that kind of praise, but the second two failed to keep the awe of the first. (I did love them though, but they don't rank on my top 10 list)

Back to the Future and Indiana Jones are two series which deserved to be on the list.

Oh, and it's not your school ring, it's my wife's ring. :D

phantomhitman
12-21-2003, 10:39 PM
this issue about "how did they do that" came up also. we all know multiple cameras and computer aided devices helped lotr and matrix, but people are more educated about movie magic now also. i have seen some behind the scenes things (not even on the dvds) at school about the making of lotr. it is equal if not better than star wars in terms of working with what they have. there was soooo much stuff made from scratch and new developments in movie magic created from this movie. i love them both, but lotr inches ahead for me.

Southpaw
12-21-2003, 11:01 PM
What no MAD MAX?? That is my vote!

Tobe2be
12-21-2003, 11:16 PM
i always thought that star wars was 9 movies first 3 where middle recent 3 comming out are the beginning then last 3 are the end. i dont know. i might be wrong. someone please correct me if i am.

einhander619
12-21-2003, 11:29 PM
Star Wars.

The Matrix hung itself by its own plot, and LOTR can piss off, I'm not seeing the 3rd one because I have better things to do with 4 hours out of my day.

phantomhitman
12-21-2003, 11:39 PM
tobe2be-i am pretty sure it is 6. first 3 and the 3 of "episodes"

einhander619-um...ok. it is 3 hours though.

FactsOfLife
12-21-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by phantomhitman
tobe2be-i am pretty sure it is 6. first 3 and the 3 of "episodes"

einhander619-um...ok. it is 3 hours though.

hmm let's see, get to movie 10 minutes early...

crap in the beginning like commercials for candy and pop and coming attractions, 20 minutes...

LOTR ROTK, 3:20...

yeah 4 hours is about right. and that don't include travel time to and from said theatre.

btw, WTF is up with the damned commercials before movies now? Didn't I just PAY to see the movie? If I want commercials I'll frigging stay HOME!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

circus5
12-22-2003, 12:27 AM
are you saying starwars wasnt completely unique?

errr, yes. read Dune by Frank Herbert. Mr Lucas borrowed a lot of material.

TraXeR
12-22-2003, 12:31 AM
Jeez, IMO Lord of the Rings is INFINITLY better than Star Wars and Matrix, I don't see how it's loosing this poll. I wasn't much of a Star Wars fan because I was never to much a fan of space movies at the time and Matrix was never really my cup of tea, but Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece.

pbzmag
12-22-2003, 12:47 AM
Star Wars: IV, V, VI.

I also heard that there's suppose were to be nine episodes. Most just rumors though. I was hoping that they would have focused on Princess Liea. For the ones who doesn't know, she's suppose to be the next Jedi. The hint was given in "The Empire Strikes Back." It was where Luke leave his Jedi training to rescue Leia and Solo. As he leaves, Yoda says to Kenobi "No, there is another."

joez
12-22-2003, 12:56 AM
if star wars is up there despite the fact that there are 6, why isnt the orriginal Alien triolgy up there? the orriginal three would be my vote.

Albinonewt
12-22-2003, 06:58 AM
Jonah Goldberg labels the Lord of the Rings the Greatest Trilogy (http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg200312171313.asp)

I basically agree with Goldberg on this one. The Lord of the Rings is the only trilogy to date that continues to maintain it's quality through all three movies. The Godfather was great until the third movie. Star Wars was the best set of movies ever until Return of the Jedi, which although it didn't suck someone wil have to explain to me why even bother with armor that can't stop and an arrow. The Matrix I enjoyed until the third movie, which just didn't seem complete enough for me. So The Lord of the Rings has my vote.

Although I did really like all three Die Hard movies. And I really liked Aliens 1 and 2. And Lethal Weapons 1 & 2 were pretty good as well.

phantomhitman
12-22-2003, 08:34 AM
ok, i didnt know commercials and travel time were included in the movie?! but i do agree with the commercials, but there IS something yu can do about that. Every company that advertises knows that they are pissing people off, even they admit it. you can write to the companies to show your displeasure, otherwise they do not care at all.

i completely forgot about the alien trilogy. thanks for that, i will try to add it when i get home.

Vendetta
12-22-2003, 10:12 AM
Star Wars= Return of the Jedi, Ewoks nuff said.

Matrix= Whole last movie sucked.

Godfather 3= Sophia Coppola, at least she finally found a profession.

Die Hard 2, sucked, but they did better with 3.

Indiana Jones, ditto. That kid was sooo anoying.

Lord of the Rings was great, greater, greatest.

Mango
12-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Star Wars without a doubt. :p I love star wars.

Patron God of Pirates
12-22-2003, 10:42 AM
Once again, Carnasuar gets totally disrespected.... :rolleyes:

logamus
12-22-2003, 05:18 PM
well well well, i had a very difficult time with this vote. well not difficult difficult, but i had to think about it. i voted star wars because the first three movies are so revolutionary and ground breaking they pave the way for other sci fi movies. the way i see it all other sci fi movies will forever be held up to the standard that star wars set.

i cannot ever rank lotr as a good trillogy because of the waste of time the first movie is. i know its hard for most of you to believe, but there is someone in this world that views that first movie as cruel and unusual punishment. while i thought the second movie was a vast improvement and i have not seen the thrid, the first ranks pretty high on my personal all time worst movie list. so i cannot vote for that.

despite sophia coppola, the third godfather was not horrible. she might deserve an oscar for her role as someone pretending to be an actress but the rest of the movie is very strong. at least now when she is behind the camera she has first hand knowlage of what a horrible acting job is and can try to stop it. i would rank the godfather trilogy as a very close second. i think the ewoks are just slightly less bad than sophia.

the indiana jones movies are also a very strong contender. "short round" i could have done without, but he is no jar jar.

Ginjiroku
12-22-2003, 05:34 PM
the LOTR Books, the movies were cool though.
it never says movie trilogy.
and logamus I think you'll like the 3rd one. I saw it twice. the first about a week before it was out and the second a couple of days ago with a friend. I didn't think the first one was that bad untill I saw it a second time, and realized it sucked.

mxrider250
12-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Indiana Jones all the way :)

Vendetta
12-22-2003, 05:38 PM
I think the amount of hate for the ewoks is in direct proportion on how old you were when the movie came out.

I was 7 when Star Wars came out. Nothing was ever so cool! Empire Strikes Back was even cooler. Now by the time Return comes out I was a teenager. To a teen, anything that smacks of "childhood" is revolting. That is why it was such a huge disapointment.

phantomhitman
12-30-2003, 10:24 PM
rises from the ashes :D

atm743
12-30-2003, 10:31 PM
i like star wars but the i dont lke the new ones i like the old one's but out of this poll i'll have to pick matrix. i will jest leave it as i like matrix and star wars!!

.tMan
12-31-2003, 12:28 AM
Come On People!
The Godfather!

phantomhitman
12-31-2003, 01:04 AM
Here it is December 31st, 2003. the vote is tied between star wars and lord of the rings for 33 each (%40.24). The Matrix and the Godfather are tied also with 8 votes each (%9.76)
I think this is a great comparison. i am pretty sure there are 2 sides to this vote-younger and older crowd. Now just go rent them all, kick back, and.....well fall asleep because that is a lot of hours of movies!!!

illshowumyramrod
12-31-2003, 01:08 AM
There is no comparison. Star Wars. Matrix... long and boring... godfather... not as much sci-fy stuff. I think they should have had some of the characters dodging bullets. Now that would have been cool. Lotr, very good ending, but the first movie was kind of bad, and the second was worse. Indian Jones, I haven't seen (i need to do that soon.

SpecialBlend2786
12-31-2003, 02:30 AM
Back To The Future

My friends dad was Biff :p

ks064
12-31-2003, 03:55 AM
My vote would have to go to the LOTR even though it is not a trilogy.

FragTek
12-31-2003, 07:40 AM
I have to stay true to my Star Wars roots.

Star Wars earns my vote!

Woogie12
12-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by ks064
My vote would have to go to the LOTR even though it is not a trilogy.
How do you figure it's not a trilogy? If you're talking about the hobbit, that's a prequel, and the Silmarillion and other works aren't part of the trilogy. Anyway, the LOTR books are the greatest trilogy ever. The movies were good, but nowhere near as good as the books. My vote goes to LOTR.

Strider
01-02-2004, 11:44 AM
I think he meant he feels that LOTR is one story, with one start and ending, while most other trilogies are usually three stories.

ks064
01-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Actually the movies were made directly from the book (with a few minor variations) and if you read the book, at the begining if you read the Note On The Text it will read:

"The Lord of the Rings is often erroneously called a trilogy, when it is in fact a single novel, consisting of six books plus appendices, sometimes published in three volumes."

GreasyPigeon
01-03-2004, 02:58 PM
what about the man with no name trilogy... Fist Full of Dollars, A Few dollars more..and The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly....and what about the Evil Dead trilogy?...Star Wars...all the way..i hate The Matrix And LOTR

ahyeaut
02-02-2004, 09:37 AM
Lord of the rings? o my god. Easy now. Godfather is simply the better trilogy than the others listed. I would also like to know where die hard, jurassic park,( tho not the quality of the other films,MAJOR LEAGUE, BAck to the future, and american pie went) Come on if your goin to hav a poll, at least list all possible opinions. YEA IM A MOVIE BUFF

-tak'r easy,
if she aint easy, take her again

phantomhitman
02-02-2004, 10:30 AM
the only ones i think would even be close are indiana jones and back to the future. besides, i cannot edit the poll!!! sorry mr movie buff man. :D

Zygote
02-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Star Wars was originally supposed to have 9 episodes but I think they decided not to bother since they already have a series of books that deal with what happens after the movies. If they made more movies, there would almost certainly be continuity problems between them and the books.

PyRo
02-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Star wars was unique, as in it was the first...
And its the best :)

I agree the new ones arn't that great, but its funny to see yoda kick some butt :)

Zumina
02-02-2004, 02:18 PM
What, no Indiana Jones???

phantomhitman
02-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by phantomhitman
the only ones i think would even be close are indiana jones and back to the future. besides, i cannot edit the poll!!
um i said that ;)

Hexis
02-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by pbzmag
Star Wars: IV, V, VI.

I also heard that there's suppose were to be nine episodes. Most just rumors though. I was hoping that they would have focused on Princess Liea. For the ones who doesn't know, she's suppose to be the next Jedi. The hint was given in "The Empire Strikes Back." It was where Luke leave his Jedi training to rescue Leia and Solo. As he leaves, Yoda says to Kenobi "No, there is another."

You should really read the Expanded Universe Star Wars books. There is a lot of material covering something along the lines of the 30 years following the battle at Endor.

Dryden
02-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Hmm... I would have to vote for Raiders of the Lost Ark/Indiana Jones personally, and second would have probably been the Leathal Weapon films on the merits of the first two alone. The Leathal Weapon franchise was downgraded with the third film, and destroyed by the fourth, which never even should have been made - I have erased all memory of having ever seen Lethal Weapon 4 and refer to it only as a trilogy.

I grew up on Star Wars like most poeple, and have The Empire Strikes Back on my short list of all time favorite films, but to this day I can't get past how horribly bad most of the costumes and acting were for those films. The series is great, but it's just too rediculously cheesy - even for the 70's. I wonder if I'd have the same affection for it today if I could watch it new, and not have those memories of seeing it as a kid when I became attached to the pictures (and the toys). I'm not certain if I'd even like the movies today if viewed with fresh eyes, and I would probably hate C3P0 as much as I hate Jar-Jar.

Would anyone honestly like the Star Wars trilogy if Harrison Ford had not been cast as Hans Solo? His acting really made the movies watchable, at least for me.

LotR is out, because if I'm going to lose 4 hours of my life, it's going to be from a Stanley Kubrick or David Lean film, not watching an adaptation of a book I've already read, no matter how faithful the film is.

Matrix had potential to be there, but ran out of steam. Really, I don't think any filmmaker could have lived up to the expectations the Wachowski's had put on their shoulders after the first Matrix film, or even their previous movie, Bound (which is fantastic).

Another film trilogy to consider are the original three Clancy (Jack Ryan) films: Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger.

Most people forget it's a trilogy since Baldwin appeared in the first rather than Ford. I still get a kick out of October no matter how many times I've seen it on the strength of Sean Connery's performance alone.