PDA

View Full Version : Gun-Kata in paintball.

Athius
12-21-2003, 09:38 PM
Hey i thought about this about using gun kata in paintball after i saw the movie Equilibrium (one of the best sci-fi movies i have ever seen The Matrix Trilogy sucks compared with Equilibrium).

Accordin to the movie this techniqe is about using martial arts stuff while using fire-arms. I was told this existed with a diferent name.

Im gonna do a search on this if it does exist ill gonna study it and train it with my paintball marker. And see if it really does work.

I RECOMEND EVERYONE TO SEE THIS MOVIE.
THIS MOVIE IS 10 MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN THE WHOLE MATRIX TRILOGY.

Neo sucks Cleric rules!! :D

$tevo
12-21-2003, 09:45 PM
i guess ill rent it after someone pays my trillion dollar late fees, damn blockbuster 2 day rentals

Duhck
12-21-2003, 09:53 PM
i too am in love with this movie... watched it 100 times over... its a sweet idea and amazing cinematics. its a must see

Athius
12-21-2003, 09:59 PM
Imagine about having 2 side-arms and do what Cleric Preston did in the first action scene while getting a push by 3 people hmmmm.

Carbon
12-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Yeah its a pretty cool movie, its definitely a sleeper. It was unfortunate it was relatively low budget and came in the wake of the Matrix. The plot, story and allegories in that movie is a great example of good sci-fi.

As far as gun-kata, i think the closest "form" to it would be CQB pistol techniques for point shooting. There are stances, hand/finger positions and such.

word.

dyst0pia
12-21-2003, 10:58 PM
Equilibrium is amazing. If you could manage to do a similar fighting style with a paintball gun...you would be god...no joke.

Tyger
12-22-2003, 02:35 AM
IIRC, there is a gun-kata technique. But it's meant to be used to "stab" your victim to "point blank" shoot someone. In a fight, being able to weave a gun into your opponent's body and pull the trigger.

That's what I remember. Guns don't really lend themselves to "Kata" as much as just "Form"

-Tyger

lopxtc
12-22-2003, 10:04 AM
Well after taking the advice of some people on here and others I work with ... I rented this movie ...

All I can say is I want my money and my time back ...

The movie was nothing but a combination of 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 with fancy footwork and some guns. There wasnt a single original idea in the whole movie ... Jeez they even burned all the books/art-work/etc exactly like they did in F 451 ...

Aaron

Vendetta
12-22-2003, 10:18 AM
I got about 45min to an hour into it and gave up. It was just to cliche for me to waste my time with.

I think the Corrolla they were driving around in is what really spoiled it for me. Couldn't they have found a much more futurist car?

oldsoldier
12-22-2003, 10:21 AM
The movie was awesome. However, no, you cannot feasibly "learn" where most shots go in a gunfight. Most pistol fights take place within 7' of one another. Now, you CAN learn to shoot like that (with LOTS of practice), but, as far as figuring out where most bullets go? Think about it...random chance alone puts you in the path of at least one of them. It is called science FICTION for a reason, you know ;)

dyst0pia
12-22-2003, 10:23 AM
I don't think that is a corolla, I think it is a cadillac.

Athius
12-23-2003, 01:13 AM
Yes i know is fiction but in the movie show you somethin pretty real if a person doesnt have any feelings he could be a very efficient killin machine.

Carbon
12-23-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by lopxtc
Well after taking the advice of some people on here and others I work with ... I rented this movie ...

All I can say is I want my money and my time back ...

The movie was nothing but a combination of 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 with fancy footwork and some guns. There wasnt a single original idea in the whole movie ... Jeez they even burned all the books/art-work/etc exactly like they did in F 451 ...

Aaron

Youre right! the director even admitted it, in the commentaries he admitted to rippin off all those movies and more. But as far as 451, i think that book will always an archaetype of many good sci-fi.

brianlojeck
12-23-2003, 01:58 PM
most close combat systems in modern military use include some form of technique for handling a firearm in hand-to-hand combat, although it's use in paintball would basically be bunkering the opponent.

Many of the martial arts in the South-East Asia countries (Phillipines, thailand, etc...) have at some point included a firearm in addition to the typical sticks/swords/knives. These arts are typified by a high level of versatility in weaponry, artists could drop their sword, pick up a stick, and use very much the same moves. however, again, this is mainly using the art to shoot the guy while in boxing range.

There's a Russian art who's name escapes me, but it's pretty much the same thing.

Honestly, for what your most likely thinking of, just watch a lot of John Woo/Yun Fat Chow movies... ;-)