PDA

View Full Version : When did they start collecting sales tax on the Internet?

1stdeadeye
12-21-2003, 09:53 PM
I just ordered a data cable for my wife's cell phone from Nokia's site. After I paid and printed out my invoice I noticed that the charged me sales tax. I checked the site and apparently they have to collect sales tax for something in the neighborhood of 30 states plus DC.

I thought Congress put a hold on this.

Did I miss something?:confused:

Potatoboy
12-21-2003, 09:59 PM
They have to charge tax if they have a base of operations in that state.

Been that way forever.

It counts as Intrastate commerce then.

1stdeadeye
12-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Potatoboy
They have to charge tax if they have a base of operations in that state.

Been that way forever.

It counts as Intrastate commerce then.

Stupid New Jersey!:mad:

Too many fortune 500 companies are based here!:mad:

;)

Thanks Tato!!!

FactsOfLife
12-21-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye

Stupid New Jersey!:mad:

heh heh I will refrain from comment.....:p

1stdeadeye
12-22-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by FactsOfLife

heh heh I will refrain from comment.....:p

At least Hillary Clinton does not represent my state!:p

pbzmag
12-22-2003, 12:54 AM
Doesn't Amazon charge tax for every state?

Emily
12-22-2003, 01:10 AM
If you don't pay sales tax when you purchase something then you are suppose to pay for it on your income taxes. This generally applies to item you receive through the mail. And yes if you are audited they will get ya for it. Now the chances of you being audited are slim to none if you are just a typical citizen that works a job and don't itemize on your income taxes.

FactsOfLife
12-22-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye

At least Hillary Clinton does not represent my state!:p

crap...:(

Kevmaster
12-22-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Emily
If you don't pay sales tax when you purchase something then you are suppose to pay for it on your income taxes. This generally applies to item you receive through the mail. And yes if you are audited they will get ya for it. Now the chances of you being audited are slim to none if you are just a typical citizen that works a job and don't itemize on your income taxes.

although the great trick is that if you don't have your recipts, then you can "assume" you spent 1% of your income on out of state purchases and pay the 7% sales tax on that amount of money....GREAT (although tihs is true in NC, I dont know about your state)

Emily
12-22-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Kevmaster

although the great trick is that if you don't have your recipts, then you can "assume" you spent 1% of your income on out of state purchases and pay the 7% sales tax on that amount of money....GREAT (although tihs is true in NC, I dont know about your state)

I'm in SC and I don't know about that. I just make sure I pay the taxes so there is no question.

p8ntball1016
12-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by FactsOfLife

crap...:( What is your problem with New Jersey?

1stdeadeye
12-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by p8ntball1016
What is your problem with New Jersey?

He was conceding the point that New York is worse because Hillary is their senator, so he acknowledged that Jersey Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:D

Kevmaster
12-23-2003, 02:50 PM
im happy i don't have to live in either...sheesh...