PDA

View Full Version : ps2 game suggestions

yeahthatsme
12-22-2003, 09:32 PM
hey everybody, i just got a ps2 for christmas(we had to open presents early cus of traveling) what are some good games?

right now i have:
lord of the rings: return of the king
nba street vol. 2
atv off road fury 2(came with the ps2...)
enter the matrix
harry potter: quiditch world cup

any suggestions?

OfficerGoat
12-22-2003, 09:35 PM
Personaly if I just had the ps2 ... I would proly pick up Deus Ex 2 .... or the first one if you havent played it yet. Awesome game. :)

Ginjiroku
12-22-2003, 09:38 PM
I havent bought a ps2 game in a while but some good games are.

1 Two Towers(you already have ROTK so you don't need it)
2 THPS 4 or underground
3 Gran Turisma 3 A-spec
4 007 Nightfire
5 Monkey Island 4

those are the best games I can think of

illshowumyramrod
12-22-2003, 09:53 PM
i love rpgs, i would get final fantas X-2. I would also get True Crime Streets of L.A. and maybe Rainbow 6 three.

gimp
12-22-2003, 10:36 PM
1. SSX 3
2. SSX tricky
3. Grand theft auto, Vice city
4. Grand theft auto 3
5. Gran Turismo 3

I've got a fair amount of games, and those are the only ones that I play. Occasionally I play the original ssx. If you can't tell, I'm a huge ssx fan. Most of those games are pretty cheap now too I think. I've been to poor to afford new games lately. There are a bunch that I want though.

spazzed
12-22-2003, 10:43 PM
NCAA College Football 2004 :D

illshowumyramrod
12-22-2003, 10:45 PM
i would get a football game, but i then realize. In one year, all i'm going to want to do is get the new edition. Granted, most video games do this, but more so with sport games. I use to get football games, but now i just play them at friends houses.

Python14
12-22-2003, 10:56 PM
Manhunt

AcemanPB
12-23-2003, 12:10 AM
Get the Grand Theft Auto double back. It comes with GTA3 and GTA: Vice City.

Can_Opener
12-23-2003, 01:05 AM
Seriously guys, PS2 doesn't get graphic intense games like Rainbow Six 3 and Deus Ex 2 :p

I'm a bit of an Xbox fanatic myself, but the PS2 games I like (and own) are these: Final Fantasy X, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (mad fun racing game, lot more relaxed than Gran Turismo), Gran Turismo 3, GTA: Double Pack (3 and Vice City), SOCOM is alright if you don't mind the crappy enemy AI, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is supposed to be pretty good too, I haven't played it but its been recommended to me by several people.

Games to stay away from: Almost all the crappy RPG's on PS2, such as the .hack series (a cleverly designed ploy to steal 300 of your dollars, and give you crappy graphics and wack gameplay), Xenosaga, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Suidoken III. I'd also not recommend Summoner or Summoner II, these games only seek to cause you to self combust, and then they will urinate on your ashes.

Python14
12-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Can_Opener
Seriously guys, PS2 doesn't get graphic intense games like Rainbow Six 3 and Deus Ex 2....

...steal 300 of your dollars, and give you crappy graphics...

Graphics aren't everything. As I believe alot of X-box games have proven. X-box does have awsome graphics, but the games really do suck in every other field. All X-box has is HALO really. The list of widely known and enjoyed Ps2 games is huge.

Graphics are about 10% of a games value, 40 % is AI, and 50% is game play.

AcemanPB
12-23-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Python14

Graphics aren't everything. As I believe alot of X-box games have proven. X-box does have awsome graphics, but the games really do suck in every other field. All X-box has is HALO really. The list of widely known and enjoyed Ps2 games is huge.

Graphics are about 10% of a games value, 40 % is AI, and 50% is game play.

Xbox has plenty of great games.

Halo
Splinter Cell
Project Gotham Racing 1&2
Rainbow Six 3
Ghost Recon
Crimson Skies

All of these games are on Xbox and plenty good. Also nothing can even compare to Xbox live. PS2 has crappy online play with only a few titles to chose from. Xbox's Xbox live has an awsome network built for online console gaming.

I own both a PS2 and an Xbox and I play my Xbox alot more that my PS2. Alot of it is Xbox live.

Python14
12-23-2003, 01:17 PM
yea, but none of those are X-box exclusive as far as I know, other than PGR1/2.

For online gaming, I don't bother with consoles.

gibby
12-23-2003, 01:23 PM
Knights of the Republic is supposed to be an awesome game. I just barely bought it a few days ago but haven't started playing yet. But everyone I know here at work has played it and they love it...besides, an office full of game developers never lie! ;)

I too own all the consoles out there dating as far back as the first Nintendo Game & Watch! The Xbox is a nice piece of hardware...albeit a HUGE one! Hehe!

If you're an Xbox owner and has broadband, I suggest downloading XBConnect( www.xbconnect.com ) which allows you to play Link up games online via computer and broadband connection! No need to sign up for Live! :)

Kai
12-23-2003, 01:44 PM
XIII.

For any system.

Ginjiroku
12-23-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Kai
XIII.

For any system.
YEA! XIII is great but if you get it for the PC I have heard that it doesn't run well on some systems that even surpass the minimum system requirements, you need a fast CPU with a good graphics card.

Daroy99
12-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Xbox connect lags like mad....i didn't enjoy getting killed when i couldn't move.

SatansGun
12-23-2003, 02:32 PM
i like EAs NHL 2004 and do a dynststy(sp) and plat 20 seasons

Remington
12-23-2003, 02:58 PM
SOCOM II, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (and definetly MGS3: Snake Eater when it comes out! :eek: ), Ghost Recon. That's about all I play really, but all three really kick butt! :D

Can_Opener
12-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Wow Python... You can't even say that PS2 doesn't have crappy games, and I bet you more crappy ones than Xbox has (Would you rather release your crappy title to a system that has a market of 15 million, or 5 million, odds are, you're going to be able to trick most of those people to waste their money). I also love how you cut out the part of my sentence that then follows up with WACK GAMEPLAY. Quote the entire thing or don't quote me at all.

Graphics do make the game now, otherwise why would everyone keep buying new graphics cards for their PC's, so they can render better 3d textures? Why do graphic card chipset makers try to squeeze out more textures, smooth jaggies better, if the graphics dont matter.

The "XBOX only has Halo, I r PS2 f4nb0y!" argument only worked last year, and died along with the big controller, now Xbox has Splinter Cell (sure it isnt exclusive, but which version is hailed as the best and the first, and gets downloadable content?), Knights of the Old Republic, Rainbow Six 3, had Dead or Alive 3 for a long time, Ninja Gaiden due out February, Mechassault, Project Gotham 1 and 2, Morrowind (which just came out with a game of the year edition for only $30, quite a steal), Best looking version of Soul Calibur 2 capable of up to 720p on your HDTV and 16:9 widescreen (PS. Heihachi is the worst special character, he doesn't even have weapons...in a WEAPON BASED FIGHTER), Halo(Most anticipated game of 2004)2 is due for release this Spring, as well as Full Spectrum Warrior, the only thing it doesnt have now is the new Grand Theft Auto games (which can't even support dynamic lighting, or individual fingers for the player models with PS2's wimpy hardware), and a bunch of stupid RPG games.

Not even Square's Final Fantasy XI is PS2 exclusive, the PC version has been out for quite some time. Everquest also blows on PS2, Welcome to Norrath, please take this bandage so your eyes stop bleeding. Game looks so bad it could've been a Playstation release. Oh no, EA is PS2 online exclusive, don't worry I'm not gonna lose any sleep over not being able to play their crappy Medal of Honor shooters or Return of the King online. Denial only works for so long, give into the light, Sony is only trying to steal your money, with their memory cards, broadband adapters, multitaps, and hard drive addons.

On an added note, when PS2 came out, PS2 owners raved about how great of graphics it had. When Xbox and GameCube came out, PS2 owners cried about how graphics don't make the games.

Btw, I did I mention I like Final Fantasy X and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 right? Regardless of this argument I'm gonna pick up Final Fantasy X-2 this christmas, since Square are the only people that take their work seriously over on the Playstation. I own both a PS2 and an Xbox, the Xbox sees more play simply because the games are better. I didn't buy any of the wack upgrades for my PS2 either, just a memory card so I can play. I will stop the hijack now, keep giving the man good suggestions.

Kai
12-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Can_Opener
Wow Python... You can't even say that PS2 doesn't have crappy games, and I bet you more crappy ones than Xbox has (Would you rather release your crappy title to a system that has a market of 15 million, or 5 million, odds are, you're going to be able to trick most of those people to waste their money). I also love how you cut out the part of my sentence that then follows up with WACK GAMEPLAY. Quote the entire thing or don't quote me at all.

Graphics do make the game now, otherwise why would everyone keep buying new graphics cards for their PC's, so they can render better 3d textures? Why do graphic card chipset makers try to squeeze out more textures, smooth jaggies better, if the graphics dont matter.

The "XBOX only has Halo, I r PS2 f4nb0y!" argument only worked last year, and died along with the big controller, now Xbox has Splinter Cell (sure it isnt exclusive, but which version is hailed as the best and the first, and gets downloadable content?), Knights of the Old Republic, Rainbow Six 3, had Dead or Alive 3 for a long time, Ninja Gaiden due out February, Mechassault, Project Gotham 1 and 2, Morrowind (which just came out with a game of the year edition for only $30, quite a steal), Best looking version of Soul Calibur 2 capable of up to 720p on your HDTV and 16:9 widescreen (PS. Heihachi is the worst special character, he doesn't even have weapons...in a WEAPON BASED FIGHTER), Halo(Most anticipated game of 2004)2 is due for release this Spring, as well as Full Spectrum Warrior, the only thing it doesnt have now is the new Grand Theft Auto games (which can't even support dynamic lighting, or individual fingers for the player models with PS2's wimpy hardware), and a bunch of stupid RPG games.

Not even Square's Final Fantasy XI is PS2 exclusive, the PC version has been out for quite some time. Everquest also blows on PS2, Welcome to Norrath, please take this bandage so your eyes stop bleeding. Game looks so bad it could've been a Playstation release. Oh no, EA is PS2 online exclusive, don't worry I'm not gonna lose any sleep over not being able to play their crappy Medal of Honor shooters or Return of the King online. Denial only works for so long, give into the light, Sony is only trying to steal your money, with their memory cards, broadband adapters, multitaps, and hard drive addons.

On an added note, when PS2 came out, PS2 owners raved about how great of graphics it had. When Xbox and GameCube came out, PS2 owners cried about how graphics don't make the games.

Btw, I did I mention I like Final Fantasy X and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 right? Regardless of this argument I'm gonna pick up Final Fantasy X-2 this christmas, since Square are the only people that take their work seriously over on the Playstation. I own both a PS2 and an Xbox, the Xbox sees more play simply because the games are better. I didn't buy any of the wack upgrades for my PS2 either, just a memory card so I can play. I will stop the hijack now, keep giving the man good suggestions.

Dork.

(I kid, I kid.)

gibby
12-23-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Daroy99
Xbox connect lags like mad....i didn't enjoy getting killed when i couldn't move.
Hrm...guess it all depends on your connection cause I ran Halo and Unreal just fine at home...pretty much played without lag. You really need to be mindful as to what server you're logging into so that could have been your problem. Like if I'm out here in the west coast, I'm not going to try to play and FPS game on a UK server.

Ginjiroku
12-23-2003, 05:36 PM
Lets not turn this into a thread about xbox vs. ps2. I hated xbox when i first came out, all the first releases sucked except halo but now xbox is awsome. Anyway GTA vice city is a must have ps2 game, so I think we can all agree that you need to get that. Just look around for games that look good and read some game reviews.

Sooky
12-23-2003, 05:43 PM
Xenosaga!

If you like RPG's, this game is awesome.
It's my favourite game for the PS2. But beware, if your looking for gameplay, look elsewhere! Its more of an interactive movie than a game - at times you will be sitting for half an hour just watching the story unfold. But what a story! Very refreshing, very intelligent, and an all around immersive experience. I highly recomend it. Xenosaga II is in the works right now and looks very promising.

Don't bother with Final Fantasy X-2. The battle system is good, but other than that IMO it is the worst FF to date. Too corny, too girly, and no game should involve incest. I feel my intelligence is insulted less from soap-operas than this game.

Beyond Good and Evil is a nice game too, though not exclusive. Its pretty and in widescreen. Not awesome, but nice nonetheless.

gibby
12-23-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Ginjiroku
Lets not turn this into a thread about xbox vs. ps2. I hated xbox when i first came out, all the first releases sucked except halo but now xbox is awsome. Anyway GTA vice city is a must have ps2 game, so I think we can all agree that you need to get that. Just look around for games that look good and read some game reviews.
Hehe...you know...I still play with my Dreamcast from time to time. That's still one of my favorite consoles. Most of the games that came out for it were pretty good. A wide variety of different gameplay on it. Too bad it had a short life. :(

illshowumyramrod
12-23-2003, 06:02 PM
I LOVE POWERSTONE. THat was so sweet

Cheeseball24
12-23-2003, 10:01 PM
SOCOM 2
MGS 2
Final Fantasy X-2

UltimatePaintballer
12-23-2003, 10:30 PM
first, why the hell are people suggesting things and saying xbox is better. did he get it? no, so i don't think he has a choice on any xbox things:rolleyes:

but if you like sports, i have the lowdown...

Madden 2004: the best gets better. Madden is a football game that you need to play often to master and is fun if you love football. otherwise if you just like to play it sometimes and love the hard hits, get Blitz pro

NCAA FOOTBALL 2004: same as madden but as college, awesome game.

Tiger Woods 2004: Even if you don't like golf, this is a awesome game. you can make your own golfer and just golf for fun or start a season. you can also travel around the world and play pro golfers. As you earn money you can buy items for your golfer and stats. also getting sponsors is very fun.

Ghost Recon: 6 troops trying to take down the russian military. Go throw about 20 i think levels playing it in 3 different themes and difficulty. also can play 1 on 1. very good.

GTA3 and Vice City: great games. going around do millions of missions and shooting people up. is there anything funner?

Simpsons Road Rage: like crazy taxi for dreamcast. go around pick people up and drop them off at their destinations in the alotted time. pretty fun, but gets boring after a while. also long loading times make it boring.

Simpsons Hit and Run: kind of like gta 3 but no shooting. you go around doing missions and gaining money by hitting things to buy outfits and cars, also collecting comic books. better then road rage but might get a little boring after hours of play.

Grand Turismo Aspec 3: fun for the people that love racing and cars. also its fun to collect the money, buy cars and customize them. if you want it you can buy mine(me no car/racing guy so i don't like it).

NBA Live 2004: i think that the baskebtall games are poorly made and i wouldnt bother w/ them. but if you like basketball go with the 2003 version.

NHL live 2004: Fun, players don't go as fast as i would like them too but its always a hoot to play with. really fun with 2 players;)

i have played so many games on ps2 so ask me if you want a review.

Python14
12-23-2003, 10:33 PM
WoW Can_opener....just WoW.:rolleyes:

Someone needs to go play outdoors for a bit.

WickeDKlowN
12-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Quick 5 off the top of my head:
GTA: III
GTA: VC
GT: 3
Manhunt
Backyard Wrestling

Leroy717
12-23-2003, 11:08 PM
ncaa football 2004
madden 2004

GhillieGuy
12-23-2003, 11:25 PM
Now we all know that the Grand Theft Auto series rules all:) but if you like war games might i suggest the new Medal of Honor, or Socom 2..

p8ntballsnowman
12-27-2003, 12:37 AM
Timesplitters 2. I don't know why many people haven't heard of or played this game. It's such a great game. It's from the makers of Goldeneye which was also awesome. The game speed is just crazy. You can't really go back to playing Bond after it, its just sooo slow.

The gameplay is awesome too. Pretty good weapons. AI is good. Levels are awesome, and you can also create your own maps which is really easy, and really awesome. It's FPS by the way. You really should get this game, it rocks.

canemaster
12-27-2003, 12:58 AM
Madden 04
Midnight Club 2
GTA vice city

laxkid
12-27-2003, 12:58 AM
AcemanPB you forgot the newest game Kill Switch I just got it it is amazing how you shoot around and over things it is crazy and it is really fast pace and the controls are easy but you can never tell how much is left in your magazine but it is a great game would recomend that for any body that likes halo or ghost recon but doesnt have the squad based action

GhillieGuy
12-29-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Kai
XIII.

For any system.
LOL i hate those games along with all Japonese games. True Crimes.. is a great game, verry easy to beat tho (3 days).