PDA

View Full Version : New Barrel Question for everyone:

DiRTyBuNNy
12-23-2003, 02:55 AM
I've asked a few other barrel questions before so I'll go ahead and ask another one...if you had a choice of only one barrel bore that you had to use for a tournament what size would you use that would allow you to shoot all the paint that you had for the entire tournament?

RRfireblade
12-23-2003, 03:07 AM
Sorry, but I wouldn't enter a tourny with only one barrel bore.You'd like a good fit,but you couldn't guarantee that the weather or some other unexpected situation would't blow your whole weekend.

I'd say gotta have 2 (Med and Lg)at least.

Jay.

magman007
12-23-2003, 03:19 AM
ok, did he ask for that? obviously he is buying a barrel, or in some sorta situation like that, and he wants to know what bore size he will be safe with.

I would say 691, cant have any breaks

or 68 because its a tweener, it will handle smaller paint, as well as something a lil bigger, but not by much

bunkermaster10
12-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Ill take any DYE barrel bore size of .688, .689, .691 they'll all do me fine.

shartley
12-23-2003, 11:31 AM
I would choose .690 (the size Tuna verrified is the stock AGD Barrel for RTPros), but if it was not that one, I would go with .691.

RRfireblade
12-23-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by magman007
ok, did he ask for that?

Yes and the answer is there really is no 1 barrel for all situations if your serious about tourny play.

The only obvious answer is a bore larger than any possible paint size.Often not the best choice.

He never stated what gun it's for,what would you say if it was a closed bolt gun? How would you like to have 1 large bore barrel for a cocker?

As I said I'd have at least 2.Find out what size the stock barrel is (usually med-large)and buy smaller bore.There,2 sizes.

Jay.

GT
12-23-2003, 12:02 PM
I would go with 2 as well, a med and larger.

87 and a 91. Just make sure they dont wiggle or kick in to F/A

DiRTyBuNNy
12-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade

Yes and the answer is there really is no 1 barrel for all situations if your serious about tourny play.

The only obvious answer is a bore larger than any possible paint size.Often not the best choice.

He never stated what gun it's for,what would you say if it was a closed bolt gun? How would you like to have 1 large bore barrel for a cocker?

As I said I'd have at least 2.Find out what size the stock barrel is (usually med-large)and buy smaller bore.There,2 sizes.

Jay.

Actually after talking to a lot of Tourney players myself at Vegas and LA you wouldn't believe how many shot both tournaments with one bore size...most of them were shooting big wide open .692 or 693's...who cares about efficiency when you've got free air and your paint is paid for by sponsors...they just don't want that odd-sized ball giving them a barrel break..

RRfireblade
12-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Then I guess you already have your answer.;)

Now try that with an autocker.:)

What are you shooting now anyway,sell the X yet?

Saw you looking for a Speed or something I think.

Jay.

hitech
12-23-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by shartley
I would choose .690 (the size Tuna verrified is the stock AGD Barrel for RTPros), but if it was not that one, I would go with .691.
YES, I agree.

Blennidae
12-23-2003, 01:01 PM
I'd be curious to know what the "average" bore size was for barrels considered "good" before the days of multi bore kits etc.

I remember buying barrels based on how well they were finished inside.

bunkermaster10
12-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by DiRTyBuNNy

Actually after talking to a lot of Tourney players myself at Vegas and LA you wouldn't believe how many shot both tournaments with one bore size...most of them were shooting big wide open .692 or 693's...who cares about efficiency when you've got free air and your paint is paid for by sponsors...they just don't want that odd-sized ball giving them a barrel break..

Yea when I was talking to a few good tourny teams they were sayin that all they use is just one big bore size, because they never wanna break paint.

Steelrat
12-23-2003, 01:48 PM
The only ones that theory doesnt work well with is the closed-bolt guns. Nothing worse than lining up a shot, firing, then realizing that the ball dropped out of the barrel while you were running around.

fire1811
12-23-2003, 02:50 PM
.690 or .691

magman007
12-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Jay, sorry for Jumping down your throat man, i didnt mean for it to come off like that. i wrote that late at night, and il admit it wasnt worded the best i should have been man. Sorry bout that! No bad blood man, i dont want to come off like an ***.

RRfireblade
12-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Come on man,we're all family here......mostly.

I'm pretty thick skinned.......and medicated.;)

Seriously,no big deal. :)

Jay

cphilip
12-23-2003, 03:45 PM
If I could only have one it would be a .692 or .693. I would prefer not to but I would rather have too large a bore than too small. I can shoot with too large a barrel bore and compensate enough by turning up my velocity. But there is nothing I can do with too small a barrel. I will get breaks with that situation. I would rather shoot more air than deal with breaks. I would rather even not be able to achieve 290 FPS than deal with breaks. If I can get the paint to shoot over 260 or better then I can deal with the too large a bore. But you already noted that was the case. I do not think I would need any larger than .693 to do that.

Josh2Xtremes
12-23-2003, 05:27 PM
I shoot a .688 Powerlyte. I do actually own a Powerlyte Scepter kit, but I've found my .688 will shoot anything laser-straight, from the smallest Inferno and Hellfire to Blaze and Rec-Sport. In fact, I'm not entirely sure I know where the rest of my Scepter inserts are...::looks around:: they're bound to be around here somewhere. As long as it was something in about a .688 or .689 Powerlyte, J&J, Hammerhead, Empire or WGP Kaner I'd shoot all day and have no problems.

cphilip
12-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Well You guys are lucky. A while back I ran into some proball that was so HUGE it would bust all to hell in a .689. Luckly I had a Freak at the time and was finaly able to shoot the crap with the biggest insert! That was a .695 I think? Anyway lately all the paint has been a bit smaller. And most times a .689 or 690 will do ya. But every once in a while... well.... you get crapy old humid balls... :D

Josh2Xtremes
12-23-2003, 05:50 PM
I hate when that happens...

cphilip
12-23-2003, 05:53 PM
heh... Um.... yea... its uncomfortable... to say the least! :D

Josh2Xtremes
12-23-2003, 05:59 PM
why I'm always wearing shorts!

cphilip
12-23-2003, 06:11 PM
...a little Talcum Powder is good ... ;)