PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating Questions

Chojin Man
12-23-2003, 03:46 AM
I was thinking about getting my mainbody and rail powder coated. My main body is Stainless Steel. I just had a few questions about powder coating.

What does powder coating look like? From pics that I have seen it kind of looks like spraypaint.

What is the process like with powder coating? What makes it different from regular paint?

Is it possible to powder coat OR re-anno a blank annoed piece of aluminum? For example my drop foward and front grip are both aluminum with a black anno. Would it be possible to change the color?

thanks

2000Sabre
12-23-2003, 04:56 PM
I'm don't do powdercoating myself but have had my Rt Pro completely done. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

Powdercoating looks a lot like annodizing does depending on the type of powder you use. If you use translucent powders the pieces have to be polished first and then coated but it has very smooth shiny finish. You can also do matte colored finihses as well.

Powdercoating using magnetically charged particlas to make the powder adhere to the metal, it is then baked in an over which gives it a very hard finish. It's actually a harder finish than regular annodizing.

You can powdercoat existing piece that already have an annodized finish. They have to be stripped first and then can be powdercoated any color you want. There is usually an extra chagre for doing this.

Look for K&P Customs and Red Rider on this forum as both do really nice powdercoat work

Chojin Man
12-25-2003, 08:08 AM
thanks for the info saber! it was very informative.