PDA

View Full Version : History Channel tonight!

.tMan
12-23-2003, 09:06 AM
yes, the history is finally showing some paintball. It's something about war games. It said 9:00/8:00c. I just saw the 5 second clip and I got so excited.

Ultimator
12-23-2003, 10:06 AM
yay! more negative press! im so excited!

:confused:

Sir_Brass
12-23-2003, 10:09 AM
not really. I don't care how you define it, paintball originated as a war game, and MANY of us still play it as such and enjoy it as such. It's not negative press at all.

No matter what language we use (except for ignorrant gangsta speech) or how we try and portray paintball, our supporters will always support us and our enemies will always try and make our sport illegal. Calling paintball a war game (which it is, basically, to those of us who play scenario and woodsball) is not going to change anything.

I look forward to seeing this thing on the history channel. THC has always been a fairly conservative channel, so I don't think they'll give negative press to paintball beyond what is fact.

Pacifist_Farmer
12-23-2003, 12:41 PM
I just saw the commercial your reffering too

Is it just me or are they implying that it was invented by the military and now its being used by "weekend warriors"

I hate people who dont do research on a subject and then claim to know the facts

Sir_Brass
12-23-2003, 12:54 PM
you're basing all of this on a teaser ad? Ever heard "Don't count your chickens till they hatch"? Just wait and see it tonight and THEN see if they did their research or not.

Athius
12-23-2003, 01:52 PM
Every team based sport is a war game. Like football for example or hockey.

Ginjiroku
12-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Did anyone see it cuz I missed it.

68magOwner
12-23-2003, 02:41 PM
gin, u didnt miss it, its on tonighy....doh!

Sir_Brass
12-23-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Athius
Every team based sport is a war game. Like football for example or hockey.

very good point. I guess it can be said that that is so. After all, in nature, we see animals engaging in 'war games' of their own. When lion cubs wrestle, they're learning how to hunt and take down prey. Same thing with bear cubs.

Cypres0099
12-23-2003, 05:45 PM
I couldn't find it in my program guide. Anyone else with dishnetwork able to see it?

Also, what's the title?

cphilip
12-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Herm.... I thought Paintball originated from Tree Marking and then the guys that did that decided to play a game of tag and elimination with these Tree Marking devices....

Baseball, Soccer and Basketball are "War Games"? I think not. I not sure your theory can hold up very long.

Not sure I would say that Paintball "Originated" from a War game if I was you. Might have "evolved" into one, in some cases, like War theme Scenarios and such but not "Originated" from them.

gibby
12-23-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Herm.... I thought Paintball originated from Tree Marking and then the guys that did that decided to play a game of tag and elimination with these Tree Marking devices....

Baseball, Soccer and Basketball are "War Games"? I think not. I not sure your theory can hold up very long.

Not sure I would say that Paintball "Originated" from a War game if I was you. Might have "evolved" into one, in some cases, like War theme Scenarios and such but not "Originated" from them.
It'd be interesting if they showed that "historic" part of how paintball first came to light.

cphilip
12-23-2003, 06:14 PM
Dam sure would be! Someone ought to round at least a few of those guys up and interview them and get thier description of the whole thing on tape for the future. Josh? Adam?

Ginjiroku
12-23-2003, 06:20 PM
oh I didn't see the post date. I was sure that I saw this thread yestarday.

Sir_Brass
12-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

hmmm, point taken. It was an off-the-cuff hypothesis anyway :D.

gibby
12-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Speaking of some sports that originated from war games...soccer for instance...although not made to simulate a war or war type game...it did involve some violence.

Wasn't the first "soccer" type game originate from Mexico where the Aztecs had a similar game of getting a ball through a hole? The losing team usually got their heads chopped off?

I could be getting my hispanic history messed up so don't listen to me if I am...LOL! :D

RenagadeOfFunk
12-23-2003, 06:44 PM
...wow this thread turned from an announcement of pb on the history channel to the philosphy on Wargames...

...:rolleyes: :confused: :mad: ....

Big_Chops
12-23-2003, 07:10 PM
finally another station with somthing on paintball. i will be so mad if i fall asleep :(

Athius
12-23-2003, 07:12 PM
The show is called From Tactical to Practical. Is gonna be in 9pm, 8pm central and for me 10pm. Channel 192 in Direct TV.

I have seen it before whenever they talk about anything they give out allot of good information.

Big_Chops
12-23-2003, 07:17 PM
sweet i can't wait! hopefully it will be really good. and hopefully they have stuff about speedball:D

The Deacon
12-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Um, on Dish Network, when I get info on it, it says it's about tear gas and non lethal junk, I thought it was "War Games". Did I miss it or is Dish Network just not too bright?

tdogreb
12-23-2003, 07:34 PM
I would"nt look for speedball on the history channel guys. Probably be military training scenarios.

The Deacon
12-23-2003, 07:36 PM
On the preview last night, I saw a guy in a jersey w/ a ricochet, didn't look very military to me. ;)

Besides it's tactical (military) to PRACTICAL (SPEEDBALL!). The whole point of the show discounts that theory. :D

RenagadeOfFunk
12-23-2003, 09:57 PM
What was that...He took his mask off in the middle of a shoot out...
BUT THERE were some mags..woohoo...

....and old angel :rolleyes:

they showed a very short "game"...the last 5 minutes of the show...

...the olny "hi=tech" gun i saw was an eclipe impulse with a halo b...

FutureMagOwner
12-23-2003, 09:58 PM
NITROUS GAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH who the heck is that guy anyway they say hes a world champ but i doubt that if he thinks its nitrous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 1111111111111111111111111oneoneoneonoeneoneeonee

68magOwner
12-23-2003, 09:59 PM
he didnt take his mask off during a shootout, him getting gogged was obviously staged, but yes i saw the mag(s) too, and may i add the guy with the mag (classic valve) was faster than most others on there :D

rehme
12-23-2003, 09:59 PM
man i hope that guy did not smoke 'cause he had nitrous on his gun! lol i think he ment nitrogen

RenagadeOfFunk
12-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by FutureMagOwner
NITROUS GAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH who the heck is that guy anyway they say hes a world champ but i doubt that if he thinks its nitrous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 1111111111111111111111111oneoneoneonoeneoneeonee

yeah...we can take him...

...he was like "yeah look at this cool green 2001 lcd angel ooooooH....and it has some funky wierd nitro tank on it was a slow force feed riochet...ohhhh..."...

...what a noobie ;)

wheres the x-mags?

barberjohn
just saw it! not bad, but the guy took his freaking goggles off after he got smacked in the face!:mad: btw, i really dont think that team that they were playing against was trying too hard:rolleyes: . and wtf is up with that angel he was using, the freaking tank was instead of dropped and down, it was up and back. i didnt know that a 2k cnc angel was "the best gun on the market". oh well, they did better than i expected, and it was pretty neat seeing our sport actually represented pretty well.

Athius
God it sucked. :( They focused more in the stupid airplanes than anythin else in the show.

Everyone email history channel to make a show about the history of paintball right now!!!

Sir_Brass
12-23-2003, 10:01 PM
he didn't take the mask off in the middle of a firefight, that was a staged shot. still, I didn't like it too much that he took the mask off.

At least the guy who lent him the angel (noted the double bottom tubes on the gun) told him about the mask. Of course he didn't go over protection much, since the focus of it was the 'civilian' side to pball.

The game was small woods capture the flag: old school speedball.

Saw a cocker, an angel, an impy (I think) at AT LEAST a mag classic and what I THINK was an RT pro. Couldn't tell.

Overall, good presentation of pball from the time they spent on it.

rehme
12-23-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Athius
God it sucked. :( They focused more in the stupid airplanes than anythin else in the show.

Everyone email history channel to make a show about the history of paintball right now!!!

well it was not really based on paintball it was based on how the miltary uses our money :D

tony3
12-23-2003, 10:04 PM
lol "powered by nitrus or co2"

The Deacon
12-23-2003, 10:05 PM
I loved that whole top of the line spiel. Old angel with "nitrous", a dorky drop and a rico AK? Top of the line 2 years ago maybe...

I liked watching the airsoft nerds more. :D

"The LZ is hot!" What a dork.

And I don't see how airsoft is more realistic when your gun sounds like an RC car...

RenagadeOfFunk
12-23-2003, 10:06 PM
"hey look it broke on co2"...Host
"Well i never said it would run for long"...Stupid guy who thinks he is cool

rehme
12-23-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by The Deacon
I don't see how airsoft is more realistic when your gun sounds like an RC car...

and the bbs on go like 30 yards

TheDuelist
12-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Watch a few war movies relating to recent history and you'll hear "Hot LZ" more tan a few times. Th airsoft guys were simulating "real" combat scenarios which includes using the proper lingo. That doesn't make them dorks.

magman007
12-23-2003, 10:09 PM
ok well, the lcd is still a top o the line gun, so dont be hating too much on it. Its just as good as the eclipse impy....

any ways, did it have an endo drop from jam enterprises? or a FMB drop?

Sir_Brass
12-23-2003, 10:10 PM
actually, airsoft bb's fly at over 300 fps usually. airsoft sniper rifles go even farther and some go between 400 and 600 fps. They hurt like a pball hurts. AND they DO have increased range due to the fact that a 6mm .25gram bb is going to have an easier time flying through the air than a .68 caliber 3g paintball.

The Deacon
12-23-2003, 10:15 PM
They're not any more accurate though. I played a CQB game this last weekend to try it out, and the darned guns they gave me wouldn't shoot straight. Either that, or they don't sting enough to get people to take the hit...

They don't hurt near as bad as a paintball. I barely felt 'em. Then you get these guys that suit up like real swat officers that don't feel the hits unless you point blank 'em... It's just miserable.

And ok, if the lingo doesn't make you a dork, acting like you're in a war movie while flinging plastic at other 40 year olds sure does... ;) :p

Sir_Brass
12-23-2003, 10:37 PM
you must've been given a crummy condition gun, then. I know some milsim pballers that also play airsoft and had a blast.

your gun that was given to you probably had weak springs or something.

The Deacon
12-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Well the EBB pistol I used earlier I knew only chronoed at 175, so I know those weren't doing crap, but another guy's pump shotgun (which we chronoed at 300 fps) still wasn't getting most people to take the hits.

It felt a lot more unsafe than paintball, too. Whenever they'd call game over, everyone just threw off their goggles instead of wearing them until they were off the field. The fact that no one used barrel plugs made me even more nervous. The rule of the day was no full auto, but I knew of at least 3 teams that were using it anyway.

I dunno, if this was outlaw airsoft I wouldn't be so concerned. This was an event regulated by an airsoft company, however.

frost
12-23-2003, 11:00 PM
can i please have back the hour i spent watching that :rolleyes: that was not worth my time and my time is pretty damn cheap!

over it was an better than nor of how we see pb on tv it was still gay....

LoveMyMagMoreThanYou
12-24-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by frost
can i please have back the hour i spent watching that :rolleyes: that was not worth my time and my time is pretty damn cheap!

over it was an better than nor of how we see pb on tv it was still gay....

I was lucky, I jumped in just before the paintball segment started. I was screaming when he took his mask off though. Even if it was staged, he shouldn't have given viewers the idea that it was ok to do.

Ultimator
12-24-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by The Deacon
And ok, if the lingo doesn't make you a dork, acting like you're in a war movie while flinging plastic at other 40 year olds sure does... ;) :p Hey, if you replace plastic with paint it applies to the world of scenario game paintball! Imagine that!

1stdeadeye
12-24-2003, 01:36 AM
It wasn't all that bad.

The speedball game was staged and very cheesy though!:rolleyes:

What kind of guns were the soldiers using in their training excercise? They looked like real m-16s!:cool:

The Deacon
12-24-2003, 01:37 AM
Looked to me like they were M-16s, just using simunitions. I could be wrong though.

Gitaroo Man
12-24-2003, 03:37 AM
omg thats my home field they showed/played at!!!

actually its just one of the ones near me...but that guy "magic carpet bob" is the biggest stoner and he owns the place....that place is horrible.

MrWallen
12-24-2003, 04:56 AM
Yuck, they shot it at The Jungle?

Nothing but bad times there. :(

And as for all sports being war games, the most extreme "war-game" would most definately have to be Cricket...

Don't Panic.

(cmon, somone PLEASE pick up on the reference!)

Slimm Jimm
12-29-2003, 01:38 PM
Sincei i'm considering some sort of field in motion pictures (TV, Movies, etc.), you have to realize that when this was shot the new gear probably wasn't widely available. I'd say that it wasn't any longer than this last summer. And if this field is as bad as you say it is, the production crew probably shopped around for a field that would let them set up the staged shot. Mind everyone that this is my opinion.

:cool: