PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand patent language

Aegis
12-24-2003, 09:34 PM
I can't seem to get a grip on the SP patent issue. When I read the patent language, it seems very specific. For example:

# US05967133

15. A method for pneumatically launching a projectile from an electrically controllable launching device having at least first and second interconnected chambers, comprising the following steps:

A. electrically controlling the filling of said first chamber of said launching device with
compressed gas having a selected pressure;
B. electrically controlling the launching of said projectile from said second chamber by
releasing said compressed gas from said first chamber into said second chamber; and
C. electrically controlling the loading of a projectile into said second chamber.

I have read comments that say this encompasses any electro gun, but don't see where it catches the Emag in this net. Item B applies in some form, but A and C do not.

#6474326 (http://haveblue.org/tech/patents/US006474326.pdf) , claim 7 & claim 8, have also been referenced as doom but again it seems very specific as far as the operating sequence:

#7 Basically, a trigger actuated switch AND a circuit that initiates a firing sequence AND is further configured to control the loading operation via a solenoid

#8 A power supply, AND a timing circuit to control launching a paintball, AND a solenoid valve configured to direct compressed gas THROUGH the solenoid valve to a pneumatic piston, wherein the piston is connected to a bolt.

The "AND" is highlighted because in any other form of communication I am familiar with, that means that all of the conditions have to apply. Kind of like a check made out to party one AND party two or party one OR party two - big difference.

THe only thing about the Emag I can see is that it uses a switch, and that switch controls the firing cycle. Can anyone point me to the specific portion of the SP patent that applies to that, or am I taking the patent language too literally?