PDA

View Full Version : History of Paintball

Emily
12-24-2003, 11:19 PM
What is the true History of Paintball?

Where did paintball begin?

What year?

What was the first marker made and by who?

Who was the first to make a paintball and what's the history behind that?

In general what's the history?

I wonder how many paintballers know the history?

I sure don't even though I'm new to paintball but I'd like to know all of this.

In reading the threads about the show that was on last night that some others want to know or have a show on tv about the history.

cphilip
12-24-2003, 11:27 PM
I will let some of the others fill you in but while I am at it let me introduce Emily at little bit here. She was at SE AO and is kinda new to playing paintball but she has been around it some because her boyfriend works up at a field in North Carolina. So she is kind of being drawn into it little by little. She is a hoot though. Wild little thing but you wouldn't know it at first! ;)

So lets all welcome her to AO and fill her in on some history. Someone will of course tell her to do a search! :D

Emily
12-24-2003, 11:35 PM
HEHEHE I'm all innoncent, trust me (takes a drink)...hahah it's mt dew.

I've been around paintball for year now. I have learned a lot but want to know more.

Some of the paintball talk about the markers confuss me to no end but at the moment I don't have a marker to take apart and I usually learn by doing.

My first game was at SE AO and it was a blast. Tho I did get my first hit on the side lines one day while watching Wesley play.

I hope to one day be able to spout out all kinda of info about the markers and all. I am learning slowly but surley.

Please don't tell me to do searches. As far as time, I don't have any between working, kids and a boy friend out of state all my times is taken up. and yes I know if I really want to know I'd find the time. But what I'm really looking for is "common" persons history not some write up in a magazine or newspaper.

I've read on other threads that some tv show or what not had something wrong and I have no clue what they got wrong or what they were talking about.

Army
12-24-2003, 11:37 PM
OK, no searching, but you DO have to click on THIS LINK! (http://www.peps.ku.ru/views/dd_faq.html)

Welcome to AO...FINALLY:D

Emily
12-24-2003, 11:43 PM
Thanks Army.

I'll read it.

Big_Chops
12-25-2003, 12:41 AM
welcome to ao and paintball:D

Emily
12-25-2003, 09:55 AM
Thank you Big Chops

Come on people. I know you know some history. Lets here some.

DiRTyBuNNy
12-25-2003, 01:04 PM
History..hmm...my paintball history can be summed up with..well...i traded this gun for that gun..then I sold that one...then I bought one but someone else liked it so I traded it for a...and got another....but sold that for a...

but really, a good book to pickup is called "The Complete Guide to Paintball"...you can usually order it from Borders or Barnes and Noble.

Emily
12-27-2003, 10:18 AM
up

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
12-27-2003, 05:20 PM
...didnt cphillip get you drunk?

p8ntball1016
12-27-2003, 06:05 PM
welcome to ao emily. dont let suicidal sniper near you. he got his finger stuck in a barrel.

Meph
12-27-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Emily
Do you mean the first game that would be considered the start of paintball? Or the initial equipment that would spawn the game?

What year?
First game was in the summer of 1981

First made for paintball? Or again, first produced equipment that started the idea?

Who was the first to make a paintball and what's the history behind that?
Nelson's Forestry division, since the 707's were of course originally made for tree marking.

I'd like to post, but honestly right now I'm lazy and working on my own website with SRM. So I'm not even sure why I'm posting this, guess I just like to put stuff off. I'm a what you call..... pro.. ummmm. Pro....tractor. Errrr, close enough.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
12-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by p8ntball1016
welcome to ao emily. dont let suicidal sniper near you. he got his finger stuck in a barrel.

Aren't i so special :)

Josh2Xtremes
12-27-2003, 08:06 PM
If you attended a Ronn Stern Celebrity Paintball Camp, you could attend my "History of Paintball Seminar" where you could learn the answers to all those questions and more. But since you haven't yet I'll just knock that out for you here real quick...

Paintball was first played officially by Bob Gurnsey, Charles Gaines and Hayes Noel (and others) in New Hampshire

The first game was officially played in 1981

The first marker ever made was the Nel Spot 007, initially made to mark cattle for slaughter and trees for logging, and the first mass-produced Paintball-specific paintball gun was the Splatmaster

The Nelson Paint Company made oil-based paintballs for the purposes listed above for quite some time

Another way to learn this information was to read the fascinating series of "History of Paintball" articles in the last several issues of Paintball 2Xtremes Magazine. However, since I'm here, it's all taken care of.
Josh

Emily
12-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
...didnt cphillip get you drunk?

Yes, he and Jon got me drunk. Tho I could have told GQ (the bartender--I think his real name was Jonathan, but Jon was calling him GQ and he was hot :eek: ) no when he asked me several time if I wanted a refill. Finally Wesley stepped in and told him no more drinks for me. I paid dearly the next day and since then when Wesley and I go out to eat I have to promise him I won't drink. Wonder why?

Emily
12-27-2003, 08:54 PM

Never fear, I will not be getting anything stuck in the barrel of a marker.

p8ntball1016
12-27-2003, 08:57 PM

Never fear, I will not be getting anything stuck in the barrel of a marker. thats more than some of us can say. i almost got my finger stuck in my teardrop today.

Emily
12-27-2003, 08:59 PM
Do you mean the first game that would be considered the start of paintball? Or the initial equipment that would spawn the game? both

First made for paintball? Or again, first produced equipment that started the idea? both

I'd like to post, but honestly right now I'm lazy and working on my own website with SRM. So I'm not even sure why I'm posting this, guess I just like to put stuff off. I'm a what you call..... pro.. ummmm. Pro....tractor. Errrr, close enough. You go ahead and take your time, i'm not going anywhere...lol

Thanks for all the info you've given me so far

Emily
12-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Josh2Xtremes
If you attended a Ronn Stern Celebrity Paintball Camp, you could attend my "History of Paintball Seminar" where you could learn the answers to all those questions and more.

Josh I've considered attending that camp and I'm still thinking about it

The first marker ever made was the Nel Spot 007, initially made to mark cattle for slaughter and trees for logging, and the first mass-produced Paintball-specific paintball gun was the Splatmaster

Was this a pump gun? and didn't Tom produce the first ever semi auto?

The Nelson Paint Company made oil-based paintballs for the purposes listed above for quite some time

These ball were made for actually marking trees? Who made the first one for the game?

Another way to learn this information was to read the fascinating series of "History of Paintball" articles in the last several issues of Paintball 2Xtremes Magazine. However, since I'm here, it's all taken care of.

I'll lookup these articles and great job on your article for AOSE 2

Thanks Josh for all your help

Emily
12-27-2003, 09:18 PM
thats more than some of us can say. i almost got my finger stuck in my teardrop today.

Wesley will be doing any work that needs to be done on my gun so I'm safe...lol

Meph
12-27-2003, 09:37 PM

Tho I could have told GQ no when he asked me several time if I wanted a refill.

Hey at least you have that privilage! I got cut off last night at the bowling ally. Apparently at there being roudy jerks singing horrible kereoke and stumbling around is means to shut off the beer supply? I just don't get it. I thought we were having fun at least.

Meph
12-27-2003, 09:42 PM
Was this a pump gun? and didn't Tom produce the first ever semi auto?

The 707 (before 007) was bolt action. And the 007 was actually both pump and bolt action. Pump arm sold seperately.
Tom did not produce the first semi. Because if I recall, it was 89 that the Puma came out, right? That and along with the automag, coming out either same time or shortly after. Well any ways, it was after Tippmann. Tippmann Pneumatics made first blowback, first semi, first full-automatic, etc. Though of course credit seems to usually go to Palmer with Camille... but that's only first Direct Feed semi by jimini!

p8ntball1016
12-27-2003, 09:58 PM
tom just perfected the semi auto.