PDA

View Full Version : Level 10 Quandry

Redfern27
12-26-2003, 06:24 AM
I have a simple question about barrell diameters. I have run into a problem with my Boomstick when using my Mag(now upgraded to lvl 10). I have an Excel barrell that works perfectly with my Mag, using a classic feed body and an X-Valve. When I insert my Boomstick into the frame and charge up the marker, I get bolt stick. As far as I can tell, the internal diameter of the Boomstick is too narrow for the superbolt to fit into and out of. Has anyone else come across this problem? What should I do to get my Boomstick to work? File or send it to a milling shop? I would love some input....

danheneise
12-26-2003, 11:30 AM
hmm, that's interesting, i'll have to try when i get home as i just got a new L10, and have a boomstick, they should be .688 or .689 (can't remember) but mabye the breech is a tad bit smaller?

YopuTheClown
12-26-2003, 12:46 PM
What size spring are you using in your level 10? I would try using a larger spring and turning up your velocity a bit to compensate for the added spring tension. If that doesn't work, try taking out the shims just to see if it still sticks. Then add them back in one at a time. I wouldn't imagine the barrels ID having an effect on bolt stick, but its probably how the spring seats against the barrel.

Dayspring
12-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately, this is WAY wrong. The spring doesn't rest up against the barrel at all.

The best way to tell if it's the barrel- take the bolt out and insert it into the breech end of the barrel. If it doesn't glide in smoothly, you found your problem.

And you can polish your bolt a bit until it will fit. You shouldn't have any problems unless the barrel's a REAL small ID.

Originally posted by YopuTheClown
What size spring are you using in your level 10? I would try using a larger spring and turning up your velocity a bit to compensate for the added spring tension. If that doesn't work, try taking out the shims just to see if it still sticks. Then add them back in one at a time. I wouldn't imagine the barrels ID having an effect on bolt stick, but its probably how the spring seats against the barrel.

BlackVCG
12-26-2003, 02:35 PM
The problem is that the tip of the bolt expands out a bit (.005" to be exact).

This starts to cause issues with smaller diameter bore barrels, but it can also cause issues if the barrel is drilled off-center. Believe it or not, there are a lot of barrels out there that aren't concentric. Since it's off-center, one side of the bolt will drag on the barrel and it will seem like you're getting bolt stick.

So, even if the bolt slides in the barrel when the barrel is out of the gun, your problem might be the barrel not being concentric with the mainbody and bolt. In which case, find a new barrel and sell that one to someone that has Level 7.