PDA

View Full Version : Now im pissed with Odyssey

FutureMagOwner
12-29-2003, 06:33 PM
didnt think i could get another one for my crap list but odyssey managed to do it.

my halo was apparently in one of a bad batch of motors supposedly and some of you may remember a guy whos halo caught on fire in a tournament well me and a couple others had the same thing and they were all upgraded from a's at around the same time.

so i sent it in didnt hear anything until i emailed them asking whats up about a month later... what a surprise i finally get a phone call saying along with upgrading to new software and rip drive that there was 6 bucks in parts replacements...

yeah they replaced the "anti jam kit (beaded and spring)" which i already had and was fine now they gave me a spring that is chopped down to a nub instead that was 5 bucks then a dollar for the lid spring (i didnt want one but whatever its only a dollar).

i just opened up a package of aa batteries and plug them in and push the button... nothing... ok what the heck...

i get another pack and do the same thing... nothing... apparently they didnt read my letter beyond that of what gives them money because i told them it needed to be fixed and it still doesnt work.

hey atleast i can load 5 balls at a time with my rip drive wahoo... god ive had better luck with an evolution 2...

FreakBaller12
12-29-2003, 06:43 PM
it seems like it's the HALO works perfect for you, or it's a living hell, what a gamble for an extra, what? 5 bps than the egg, except for the looks.

-=Squid=-
12-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by toyotaboy12
it seems like it's the HALO works perfect for you, or it's a living hell, what a gamble for an extra, what? 5 bps than the egg, except for the looks. Gamble? Its rare when a HALO just craps out....eggs are like, totally suxxor in terms of quality.

FreakBaller12
12-29-2003, 06:55 PM
i've read ALOT of bad stories with HALO'S, but it still a small gamble, the egg's i have heard rarely but about them, except for their looks

FreshmanBob
12-29-2003, 06:56 PM
I've had an egg for a few months now with 0 problems, the battery door is annoying but it hasn't popped open on me. I made the switch from the halo because it was forcing paint past my detente and I like to have more than a pod in my hopper. So far the eggs been great, it feeds enough to keep up with me and has been 100% reliable. They're not the peices of crap that you think they are.

GT
12-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Gamble? Its rare when a HALO just craps out....eggs are like, totally suxxor in terms of quality.

I see halo's bite the dust all the time. My Rico and TSA are just great but then again there are so many internet heros that claim they can shoot greater than 16bps..... ahhh the hype train.....

magking1971
12-29-2003, 07:07 PM
What pissed me off about Odyssey is that when the halo first came out they were all over these boards selling the halo, well it comes out and we never see them again.
I am glad they could use us as one big ad.

Major Ho
12-29-2003, 07:17 PM
Dont know if you happened to read this thread a few weeks back:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112087&highlight=Halo+woes

Same thing happened to me, so sad isnt it. I also had my converted from an A to a B and also had a rip drive installed. At least mine blinked at me, yours didnt seem to do anything.

1stdeadeye
12-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Gamble? Its rare when a HALO just craps out....eggs are like, totally suxxor in terms of quality.

I don't think so. I have had my Egg for a year now and It works like a beast. Hooked up to my warp I have not been able to out shoot it.

Works perfectly.

FutureMagOwner
12-29-2003, 07:49 PM
well i want this stupid halo to work because my previous experiences with viewloader and brass eagle/k2 in general havent been that great. seems like they are the opposites of eachother the halo is a solid design quite possibly the worst internal durability i have seen in a while and the egg i feel like im going to snap in half but the friggen electronics work...

i want a q loader lol warp feed profile, no damned electronics or any of that crap to break...

what happened to the "uber 1337" customer service odyssey used to have? o well im emailing them again... who knows maybe ill get a response (yeah right)

Python14
12-29-2003, 07:49 PM
My biggest beef with the HALO is the on/off. How hard would it have been to just put a simple on/off switch like on the revys and evos. Seriously. What is the purpose of this red-light green-light crap?

FutureMagOwner
12-29-2003, 07:55 PM
ug thats another thing when i got it back it came with a ripped rubber pusher thing so its a pain in the butt to do ANYTHING with it but i know im hitting the button because i can feel the click and hear it.

cphilip
12-29-2003, 08:29 PM
I hope you communicated a little better with the note you put in with it when you sent it in than you did here. I can hardly read and make any sense of it. Maybe it's just me?

You need to review the "turning on" proceedure for the new software. Your not doing it correctly sounds to me. Reading is good! :rolleyes:

Eggs? Problems? Well yea I seen them...The lid... always the lid. Not seen many make it across the field without flying open and spilling paint. Cracked necks...Cracked bodies... Typical problems they all have really. No more than anything else I don't think.

FutureMagOwner
12-29-2003, 08:43 PM
accualy i checked the odyssey website it said the same thing it did in the original halo a's and i dont think i ever saw that change and they didnt include any form of instruction about the new software. im assuming its like the a's with the one second one second thing?

and sorry about my typing i tried to break it into shorter parts and was very um well pissed :) besides ive seen worse :p

but ill try again maybe i just dont have that fairy touch needed to turn it on ;) and what about that 68/45 flatline :D

sneakyhacker420
12-29-2003, 08:50 PM
you have to hold down the on/off button for a couple seconds until the LED turns green, then relase it and it should start spinning...

FutureMagOwner
12-29-2003, 08:55 PM
just tried that didnt work :(

EDIT: and cphil im not an idiot so please dont treat me like one and if you want to get technical, reading doesnt help when the reading isn't even correct or atleast it still isnt working. if you would like a copy of the letter i mailed to them ill gladly copy and paste it for you.

"The button is a tactile switch. Do not use your fingernail or any sharp object to press it, your finger will work, even with gloves on. Try practicing without gloves at first to get a feel for the sequence. To turn the loader on press and hold the button for 1 second let off then press and hold for one second again. To turn the loader off, just press and hold the button down until the LED comes on red, then let off. The reason we went with this type of switch is because so many people complained about other loaders getting accidentally turned on in their gear bags and running the batteries down. To check and see if your loader is on, you can press and then release the button once and the green LED to should come on indicating that the loader is powered up."

thats from their faq

then you goto the image from their manual on the website http://www.odysseypaintball.com/images/HALO%20manual.gif it says the same thing.

i did that proceedure in the past so i know how to do it i did that i held the button ive done every random combo of holding releasing whatever and nothing.

pito189
12-29-2003, 09:43 PM
I got one for Christmas. It works GREAT!!!

:)

sneakyhacker420
12-29-2003, 09:50 PM
pop open the HALO and check to make sure that the two wiring harneses are connected to the board

and are you sure that you're clicking the on/off button?

magmonkey
12-29-2003, 09:54 PM
you said the rubber cover is ripped? could it be that the little plunger in the back of it is not linded up with the switch anymore? try re centering the rubber switch cover

cphilip
12-29-2003, 10:16 PM
Oh I didn't mean to imply you was stupid or nuttin. Its just kinda tricky is all. And its changed once or twice. The green LCD light only flashes once and goes out if I recall. That write up does not mention that. Fooled me once or twice on that. And early B's had a hold down one that has since been replaced.

Ok your not seeing a flash of green at all? If you are then now look at your eye and see if something has gotten in there thats blocking it. If your are NOT seeing a flash of green then re-evaluate your battery intall and make sure they in the right polarity and you have not pinched a wire with the cover or something. And the ends are properly seated in the clips. Do not do this with 9V's use AA's and good ones at that. Never underestimate the possibility that batteries are good out of a pack. Sometimes they not.

See what happens when you check that eye and those wire connections and all. And just look for a flash momentary green indicator.

G-Rock
12-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by pito189
I got one for Christmas. It works GREAT!!!

:)

How would you know if it works great, it has been atmy house since friday, and you said you aint even put batteries in it yet!!

OWNED!!

Chris

pito189
12-29-2003, 10:40 PM
I did too, put batteries in it so shut up. ;)

The A I had before worked great too. The dude I traded it to, still uses, and hasnt even made it a B yet.

JEDI
12-29-2003, 11:51 PM
Just to clarify, the push button for the Halo B does not require a "few seconds" push. It couldn't be more easy. You push the button for a fraction of a second. If you feel a slight click, and the green light goes on for a bit, you're good. There's really no way to mess it up.

Some of you people still haven't grasped the concept that nothing is perfect. No matter how much you payed for it. One person's account of a peice of gear is in no way testimony to how everyone of them will work.

Halos, Eggs, Revys... what ever. They're all crap just waiting to break. Some go sooner than others. Be happy with your crap while its not broken.

cphilip
12-30-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by JEDI
Just to clarify, the push button for the Halo B does not require a "few seconds" push. It couldn't be more easy. You push the button for a fraction of a second. If you feel a slight click, and the green light goes on for a bit, you're good. There's really no way to mess it up.

Some of you people still haven't grasped the concept that nothing is perfect. No matter how much you payed for it. One person's account of a peice of gear is in no way testimony to how everyone of them will work.

Halos, Eggs, Revys... what ever. They're all crap just waiting to break. Some go sooner than others. Be happy with your crap while its not broken.

This may actually be the most brilliant accurate thing I ever read here...

REALLY!

:D

BlackVCG
12-30-2003, 12:14 AM
Eggs have some issues, but I got one just to try it out and I'm pretty happy with it. The first thing I did was remove the lid springs. They just build up stress concentrations on the corners of the lid and cause cracks over time.

Also, I take a file to the battery door so it doesn't put as much pressure on the batteries and you don't have to force it on. This keeps the battery door hold down points from cracking off.

I have a HALO, it came with the old "white top" motor which eventually melted after one year of use. It's always had an issue of the motor pulsing when it's full of paint and turned on. Shooting a couple shots will stop it and then it will start doing it again at random times. My teammate got a brand new HALO with TE software. It had a surface contact chip fall off the board, the cone spring tab broke off, the on/off button broke with the new style backplate and the shells are cracking. And he's a guy that just uses his stuff and doesn't mess around with it.

I like the guys at HALO, but their QC and service support has been lacking lately...

Python14
12-30-2003, 07:15 AM
But with gloves on, and in the heat of a game, it's hard to tell if you have pressed the button. For me, it's hard to tell if it is even on because I'm colorblind so the green and red look no different to me. I just don't see what was wrong with using a regular on/off switch so if you forget to turn on your hopper or something, you aren't fiddling with it playing red-light green-light, or in my case, red-ish green light red-ish green light. I just want to flick a switch and have my hopper ready to go, which is why I prefer Eggys over HALOs any day of the week.

Sir_Brass
12-30-2003, 08:09 AM
Heck, I'm not even interested in EITHER an egg2 or a halo. I use an x-boarded revvy2 with upgraded impellers and have had ZERO problems (well, lid cracked a little, but I know what caused it and it's my fault for slamming on the breaks at 50 mph) with it. It's solid, VERY solid. I'm rough on the field. I run straight into my bunkers (even if they're solid. My arms take the impact ;)), I slide hard, my gun runs into branches, etc. My Revvy still has yet to show signs of wear from any of this. Added to that, I'm STILL on my first set of batteries, and I got this thing in April and have been using it exclusively since then. I always care 2 spare 9v's just in case, but so far I've yet to use them, and am periodically making sure that these spare batteries are still holding a charge, they've just been sitting in my gear bag that long.

Then again, my max shooting speed even with an electro is about 8 bps. I'm a woods player, after all. Still, the revvy does excellent for me and is very durable and reliable. Zero problems yet. And I don't expect any major, if any problems in the near to foreseeable future.

RRfireblade
12-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Sir_Brass
I use an x-boarded revvy2 with upgraded impellers and have had ZERO problems (well, lid cracked a little, but I know what caused it and it's my fault for slamming on the breaks at 50 mph) with it. It's solid, VERY solid. I'm rough on the field. I run straight into my bunkers (even if they're solid. My arms take the impact ;)), I slide hard, my gun runs into branches, etc. My Revvy still has yet to show signs of wear from any of this. Added to that, I'm STILL on my first set of batteries, and I got this thing in April and have been using it exclusively since then.

The same is true for my Z'd Egg2,unfortunately my luck was not the same with my Halo (cracked shell,burnt motor,software glitch)which is why I've been debating on whether or not to get another.

The best thing that can be said about the Egg or the Rev for that matter is everthing is pretty easily fixed for $10 or less and parts are available everywhere.Shells and lids are $10 or less and software trouble? Yeah right.I kinda like that.

Jay.

JEDI
12-30-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by cphilip

This may actually be the most brilliant accurate thing I ever read here...

REALLY!

:D
Haha, thanks. Thats because you're one of the more brilliant people on this forum. :)

For me, it's hard to tell if it is even on because I'm colorblind so the green and red look no different to me.
Well..... I think its safe to say that if you're seeing any light, that it is on. :p

NGp8ball
12-30-2003, 09:38 AM
i havn't had any problems with my egg. even my friend who had it before me had no problems except a cracked lid and viewloader sent a new one to him for free.

FutureMagOwner
12-30-2003, 10:23 AM
ok cphil it just kinda came off that way with the reading is fun :rolleyes: thing lol :)

anyway the connections are good, the plunger is alligned, ive tried multiple sets of batteries (duracells mind you), and they are in the properly inserted into the holder thingy.

ive tried every form of a pressing a button imaginable and no form of a green light and the eyes i checked do seem to be alligned and in there correctly (and odyssey covered it in electrical tape to keep them that way)

not sure what else to do hopefully they email me back sometime this year (i never got a response from my emails before so excuse my inability to hold my breath for them ;) )

edit: forgot a critical smile doohicky!

Phil
12-30-2003, 06:17 PM
I bought a Halo B and it was DOA new in the box. I returned it and bought an Egg2 and it has been going strong for 6 months.

Evil1
12-31-2003, 01:31 AM
Since I got my EMag the only hopper I've used on it is a evo 2 and I've not had any problems except for me running to a bunker, tripping on the way there, and my batteries falling out, but I think I didn't close the compartment good enough.

Pand0ra
12-31-2003, 04:54 AM
We got 6 Eggs in our team. After a season of play (almost every week), 4 of them are now destroyed (which means anywhere from a lid broken to a piece of crap just good for the trash). The 2 last one only works because we took parts from the others.

My Halo B is close to the same fate too, as I need to replace the cracked shelfs, and the antijam beads (I wonder how I broke those ones).

The only hopper which keeps going is the old Revo, with an upgraded board. Just have a look at Dynasty, it's funny to see they still play with their old hoppers.

@++ Happy New Year!

Evil1
12-31-2003, 02:39 PM
Revvies are good but I tried my old revvy w/ xboard and set my gun on 16sps and even in short bursts the gun outran the revy. The revy also had fully charged batteries. Every 5 shots you would hear the LX bounce off of a misfeed.