PDA

View Full Version : RIT dying

Mag Master 04
12-29-2003, 09:28 PM
just picked up a clear evo cuz i cant find a smoke for the life of me...so how do i RIT dye this bad boy? any help would be great

magmonkey
12-29-2003, 09:44 PM
I had dyed some warpfeeds before agd started selling colored ones , let me see if i can dig up the post

here it is
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16480&highlight=rit+dye+goodness

make sure you don't heat it too much or it will not re assemble correctly do to deformation

Mag Master 04
12-29-2003, 10:09 PM
should the water be boiling and how much dye should i use... and should i do both at the same tims so i get them both looking the same color?

tye92
12-30-2003, 01:10 AM
Yea it needs to be (simmering) barely boiling. Get it good and hot (the water) you really don't have to hurry it won't start taking the dye until it gets hot enough. You'll want the water extremely black. I used liquid dye but the powder works well too i'd use the whole box if you use powder and about half to 3/4 of the bottle if liquid.
Good luck. ;)
Oh yea and you don't have to try to match the shells because they will stop taking dye at a certain point, so as long as you use the same water with same amount of dye they will turn out to be the same shade, if not let them soak longer or less depending on how dark you want them.

robdamanii
12-30-2003, 01:21 AM
When I read the title I thought it mean Rochester Institute of Technology was folding or something.

I think I need some sleep...

felony
12-30-2003, 02:41 AM
speaking of dying..

would it be possible to dye the little LED cover on the emag. Not the part that is actually on the grip, but the plastic piece that fits in the panel?

What colors could be used to bring out a new color when mixed w/ the LED red?

Dan

NGp8ball
12-30-2003, 09:26 AM
i believe the the evo shells are lexan (polycarbonate) so you could go to your local hobby shop and pick up some rc body paint and paint the evo from the inside and it will never scratch

sneakyhacker420
12-30-2003, 09:52 AM
and RIT dye will never scratch either...

Hexis
12-30-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by felony

What colors could be used to bring out a new color when mixed w/ the LED red?

You could do Red, or Red, perhaps Red too.

A LED (except white ones) outputs (nearly) single wavelength of light. The Display in the EMag puts out 626nm, for a nice bright Red.

You could do a nice dark red, and see nothing excpet the lit LEDs. However, changing the color isn't going to do anything other than make it darker, and perhaps un readable.

If you do want a different color, Have Blue offers a couple drop-in replacement displays in Green and Yellow. I have a green one and love it. The other colors are the same display chip/unit, just a different color (there is a lot to the display other than the LEDs).

Links:

AO Thread about the displays (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93514)

Air Soldier Products page (http://airsoldier.com/otheraccessories/index.shtml)

sneakyhacker420
12-30-2003, 03:07 PM
i have a green one too hexis :D

TheDuelist
12-30-2003, 07:51 PM
The green is really nice and helps set your marker apart from all the others. It is, after all, the details that make the difference.