PDA

View Full Version : Vests: Lets be for real they need work - any suggestions...

cledford
12-30-2003, 10:24 AM
Guys,

I'm ready to get into scenario play big time. I'd like to go as tactical as possible. I want "high speed gear" and want to get into the "role-play" of it all. To that end I purchased a Flurry vest system and have determined 2 things, one it looks cool in pictures, and 2 it looks stupid on a real person (when loaded with real paint) and is uncomfortable as heck! A little background on me - I've been playing since '86 or so and have done everything except hard-core scenario play. I'm real familiar with the evolution of loader packs and ammo carrying. with today's paint requirements coupled with the fact that I hate to walk back to the car to reload I like to carry a lot of paint with me. At least 6 tubes on the back. I also need a way to mount a 114ci nitro system. Put the nitro and only 4 tubes on the back of the flurry and you've got A LOT riding on your collar bones and not being support much anywhere else. The weight pulls the front of the vest up (ooks silly and uncomfortable) and I can't get it tight enough (I'm 5'8" 155lbs) to not flop around when I run. All in all it is very disappointing. I'm used to the elastic belly band/weightbelt-like build of my Dye Core Division tournament paintball pack that keeps the weight of the paint perfectly centered above my hips and does not move at all when I run.

The problem with the Dye (or Redzs) packs is that they may work well, but don't come close to the "look" for scenario play. On the other hand the Flurry (and the Cops911 from what I can see) look great when empty - but really don't carry the weight put into them well at all and look sort of silly loaded down.

Is there a happy middle ground someone can recommend?

Thanks,

-Calvin

Sir_Brass
12-30-2003, 11:18 AM
You have to try the COPS911 vests. Loaded down they're still quite comfortable. I own one, and have loaded her up to get the adjustments right and it's EXTREMELY comfortable. Holds up all the weight quite well, and is very comfortable fully loaded. I barely feel it when wearing it, even with marker and mask clipped on with the mask and marker clips.

I have the reconIV vest, btw.

cledford
12-30-2003, 11:29 AM
Do you know of a place to purchase Velcro and ballistic nylon to fabricate custom pouches?

Thanks,

-Calvin

Sir_Brass
12-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Just call up RObert of cops911. He'll do the custom work to YOUR specifications. That's the great thing about COPS911: if they don't have it yet, then design it yourself and they'll make it for you.

Same goes for markers and PPS, and same with grips and Sam Hartley: Where custom still means something.

judster
12-30-2003, 06:50 PM
ive worked with robert at cops911 many times on building my vest and my wifes vest. im a demo player so when i hit the field i am loaded down with satchel charges, TnT, nerf rounds, LAWS rocket...not to mention my marker, my AGD sydarm, pods of paint, my hydro pack, somke, and any props i might find. so needless to say i am loaded down pretty heavy. at first you have to get used to the vest cause you are going from carrying you load on your hips to your shoulders. but after 2 good games, you get used to it and it is quite confortable. robert also offers shoulder padding for his vest as well....he will also work with you on your size so the vest will fit just to you. robert also offers his velcro system on this vest so you can change out pockets/pods/holsters. email robert and tell him jud sent ya...hes a good guy!!1

Rick927
01-01-2004, 11:25 AM
I use an airsoft vest(Pic)and you can order velcro and heavy 440-1000denier nylon from Adventure Fabrics www.questoutfitters.com but you need a real heavy duty sewing machine to handle this stuff.

p8ntball72
01-01-2004, 11:55 PM
good thing i held on to my Idema Combat Vest.
it holds 4/100 round tubes,radio,and player card.
it snaps down on my belt and stays in place day and night.
the best tac vest i have ever seen and "old school" at that.

Wes Janson
01-02-2004, 01:41 AM
I think all of you are looking at it the wrong way...my dream scenario would be to be able to go out onto the field in decent camoflauge carrying nothing more than an accurate pistol, a few dozen rounds and a gram or two. How do you have fun when attempting to roleplay as a midsized pickup truck? Not to mention that such vests make much more visible targets than absolutely any quality appropriate camo pattern..
Put your car near the insertion point (or otherwise offload paint/gear nearby in a safe location); minimize the amount of unnecessary firing at low-probability targets; and try to keep the amount of paint you carry to a minimum. All the paint in the world won't matter if you get hit as soon as you get out there, and wind up waiting ten minutes for the next insertion. One key in the pocket is worth cases of paint in the car. Looking cool is fine and nice, but remember that in the end it's not the looks that matter, it's the effectiveness-whether it speeds you up and allows you to accomplish your mission, or whether it makes you a giant target and gets you popped in a pod.

Rick927
01-02-2004, 07:47 AM
Tac vest are cool too, they are great for pods and stuff like that. I don't do the camo thing, but then again none of the feilds I play are wide open, all are in heavy woods so black works just fine. I know a guy who just uses a pump pistol, hides until someone walks by then he pops them in the back. That's ok for him, but I like the bring the fight to the other team. For me there is nothing better than charging bunkers and agressive advances.

ShooterJM
01-06-2004, 01:42 PM
I've never used em, but talk to Bsolomon here. I think he is/was sponsored by COPS911. He should have some good info for ya.

doc_Zox
01-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Barry and the whole DBD team have a vest sponsorship from Robert at COPS 911

Heck, we designed the puppies

;)

http://www.privatedata.com/dbd/cop-911.jpg
http://www.cops911.com/product.asp?id=10276

http://www.dead-by-dawn.org/

ShooterJM
01-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Yeah that's what I though, just haven't played with or talked to barry in awhile so I didn't want to speak out of turn. :p

bsolomon
01-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Calvin,

Everything they've told you about the COPS911 vests is true. I play for Dead by Dawn and Robert approached us about designing this vest specifcally for scenario players. I also have a Flurry vest that no longer leaves the closet. I can honestly say Cops911 Vest is the best piece of scenario equipment I have. You will not believe your ability to haul absolutely everything, and more importantly, to be able to find it again easily and access it quickly when needed.

As the others have told you Robert at Cops is them man. The reason the vest is so comfortable and can carry so much load is that the base vest is designed specifically to your dimensions (with lateral adjustments that allow you to add or subtract under layers of clothing and still keep it cinched up tight. Definitely get the belt option - it's the key to the whole system and it keeps the vest from riding up and pods from bouncing around when you move.

And the best part is that Robert will make everything custom to your specs. If you like the DBD pouch design and removable velcro mount Pod holders - fine. Want a different pouch arrangement and sewn on pod holders - that's fine too. And if you have a unique piece of gear you can send it to him for a custom pouch or mounting as well. I think he made a custom vest for NightRocker from RTD that was designed to hold 5 pistols in various holster configurations. Tom Kaye was given a commander version of the vest by Robert for D-Day last year, and this year every MXS commander will be given one of these vests. Trust me on this - if you can articulate to Robert what you want, he can make it and you will not be disappointed!

fallout11
01-09-2004, 11:43 AM
I'll let you in on "my little secret":
Another, less known option is the Russian-made M22 tactical vest, manufactured by "Splav" for the russian military.
I own both it and the DBD Cops911.com vest, and I prefer the M22.

http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/m22khaki.jpg
http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/m22khaki-beck.jpg

Why?

It's MUCH more comfortable. Unlike the stiff, fairly bulky Cops vest, which is made of multiple layers of cordura, the M22 is made of very soft, flexible nylon. It's open in the back and around the kidneys, to breath. It does not restrict your arm movement as much, as it's "cut back" more around the arm.
And it weights 1/2 of what the cops vest does, and is more comfortable when fully loaded.

The main ammo pouches hold 100 round tubes (140's too, but only barely close). Plus lots of other small pouches and attachments (for radio, swab, remote line when not in use, candy, ID card, you name it). Even hooks in the grenade pockets to secure your chrono card. There are inside pockets for maps, papers, and carkeys/wallet. And You can attach other gear via alice clips to the back or upper front. For instance, I use a Splav gas mask pouch (also russian) on the lower back, to hold my remote tank.

Finally, it comes in OD green (shown here), black, or "Les", a russian 4 color woodland scheme. The russians have other vests in the same series, if this setup does not suit you.

Granted, the cops vest will hold more stuff, can be custom ordered to suit, and can be obtained with a water bladder pouch. But it's hot, heavy, stiff, and a bit too cumbersome for my liking.

Garrum
01-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Another option for vests, is M.O.L.L.E.. Bare vests that you put what ever kind of pockets you want on. Examples:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/opsgear/mometacveod.html
http://www.lightfighter.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=66194%7C1273362&PRID=976213

I use the Tactical Tailor MAV for paintball and hunting, and it's a very good vest. The TT AK mag pouches hold 100 round pods very well, and the TT Large utility pouch holds two 140 round pods like it was made for them. The vest itself cinches down on the sides quite nicely, and stays in place without shifting, even when carrying a good bit of weight only on the front. And it's made of mesh, so it breathes pretty well.(Good lord, I sound like a salesman)

But, MOLLE has a downside: Price. I've got $200 or a little more in my vest and pouches, and there are more pouches that I want. I justify the price a little more because I use it for two different activities, but that is still a fair bit of coin.

Either way, if you are one of us who likes the idea of a Tac vest in paintball, check out some of the various MOLLE type products around. They might be closer to what you are looking for.