PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Mag today in the mail...any tips, oiling, etc.?

MikeCouves
09-07-2001, 02:48 PM
I just recieved my Mag in the mail today. Just wondering where oil is needed and what to replace when. Also, my friend says that aftermarket internals are better than stock internals. NO THEY AREN'T. Can someone back me up here with some technical terms? Also, where is the air going when its in the back half? Does it come through the regulator seat in the front and then back through the one on the side? Let me know...and thanks for your help!

Yama
09-07-2001, 05:35 PM
yes it is a good idea to oil ur gun when it is brand new. (mine was bone dry). i just put like a drop in the oil holes on the valve. or u can put a few drops in the ASA and dry fire it about 20 times. u should be good then.

Load SM5
09-07-2001, 06:36 PM
Did you get your mag used?
If call AGD and register your gun and ask for the instructions and the video. They are free and very helpful. It will explain all about how your mag works.

Also you are right, stock internals are better. I have heard many cases where the aftermaket valve or mod either did nothing and wasted money or messed up the person's gun until they put their stock valve back in. Leave that stuff alone unless you want a retro valve later.

Maybe someone with a big brain will step in and put technical data behind what I've said.

a_malfunction
09-07-2001, 10:14 PM
Last time I said something about aftermarket internals not doing anything I got chewed out..... :)

MikeCouves
09-07-2001, 10:15 PM
I sure hope so =). I have to prove him wrong. Lol, well I heard it's good to put a little on the bolt and bolt spring and stuff where there is constant metal to metal contact. I already registered my Mag before I bought it :). Well I will do the Back Reg oiling thing and some on the ASA next time I have some air in my tank.

Magadeth
09-08-2001, 12:00 AM
Take your barrel off when you do the ASA thing, otherwise you will end up with oil in the barrel, and have to clean it.

BlackVCG
09-08-2001, 11:04 AM
Don't bother putting oil in the holes on the valve. Just put 3-4 drops in the ASA, gas up the gun and dry fire with the barrel off. Also, don't put oil on the bolt surface or the bolt spring. Just a small dab of grease on the bolt latching surface of the sear. There's lots of sliding friction at that point, so a bit of grease will help.

Cha0tic
09-08-2001, 05:25 PM
to answer your question about aftermarket internals, they usually try to lower the internal pressure or increase air flow. this usually causes shootdown for yu. AGD has done expiriments with different size air chambers, and the current one is best. some aftermarket parts actually work in some cases but not all. i believe this is the reactor on/off. it lightens the pull a little but i've heard it can cause problems.

DarkPhoenix
09-08-2001, 06:59 PM
Black: What type of grease do you recommend to use on the bolt spring?

BlackVCG
09-09-2001, 04:34 PM
I'm sorry! I said spring when I meant to say sear. I edited the original post so it says what I intended to say. Any kind of multipurpose grease will work. I personally use Mobil 1 Synthetic grease. Just a small dab will do.

dawump
09-10-2001, 09:43 AM
When I got my used Automag the first thing I did was watch the video.. ( which was pre '92! - don't know if that is the most recent ) and then stripped the gun down and changed o rings. The video is VERY worth getting hold of. After watching it I really felt like I knew the marker and it took all the mystery out of it.

As far as after market stuff goes, mine came with a Phase II venturi bolt and regulator. Having read varying reports about these things I was HAPPY to read that the regulator wasn't an improvement, because the build quality is way inferior to the AGD regulator, so I didn't like having it sitting there on the back of the gun. Fortuntately the seller had included all original parts, so I put back the standard regulator and bolt. It does feel better now, but that could be just my insane mind. Certainly no worse.

I think it says alot for the quality of a product when there is even a possibility that aftermarket parts arn't worth buying, and from what I've read, and experienced it appears to be the case that these aftermarket parts were developed for earier ( pre-level 7 ) mags and at that time they DID solve some problems, which have since been solved by the evolution of the mag.

Keith

Mattyblaze
09-10-2001, 11:11 AM
a good upgrade for any automag is the long nose bolt from AGD it will minamize blow back and allot your gun to shoot better and a warp feed system is another good attachment it allows you to shoot out the left and right with out switching hands. makes your game much tighter.

Juge
09-10-2001, 11:23 AM
I'm having Air system in my Minimag so how do I oil my gun when I don't have ASA anymore? Or do I?

And can you Black just very simple say where do I put some grease? I get confused. And why I can't put oil instead of grease?

Mattyblaze
09-10-2001, 11:36 AM
just simply pull off one of the hoses out of the connector and drop a few drops down in the tube put the hose back on.thake off your barrel and shoot the gun about 30 times until you dont see anymore oil coming out of the end when you shoot.
thats all you need to do . and keep it clean