PDA

View Full Version : Starting to get worried about mag purchase.

Mindflux
01-02-2004, 01:24 AM
I'm getting ready to purchase an RT Pro Custom.. and I keep hearing things about level X needing to be fine tuned.. "it's leaking down the barrel, it's venting out the back" etc. I'm guessing people are *HEARING* these leaks.. which is my problem. I'm deaf in one ear.. and nearly deaf in the other (I wear a hearing aid now). I also have to hear OVER the constant tinnitus (ringing of the ear) in the one ear I CAN still hear out of..

I'm worried, that if I do develop a leak.. I won't notice it other than perhaps the gun not firing properly.

Do any of you have any suggestions or thoughts on this issue? I'd love to hear them. I hate thinking my hearing problem puts me at a disadvantage.. but I guess it does. Sometimes I can't understand what people are saying to me from 3 feet away.. argh.

:(

68magOwner
01-02-2004, 01:27 AM
umm, basically, if its ventong out the back, you will know it, because you will be shooting way hot. if its leaking down the barrel, then someone may tell you, but if they dont i THINK the marker should still function properly, just not be gas effiecnt.

Nick O time
01-02-2004, 01:51 AM
you could always take it to your local pro shop, or maybe call up AGD. maybe if you explain your situation to one of the people you are ordering from they may be able to get someone to fine tune the LvL 10 or sumtin. if not it is probably worth the money to take it to a shop to get it installed properly.

FooTemps
01-02-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Nick O time
you could always take it to your local pro shop, or maybe call up AGD. maybe if you explain your situation to one of the people you are ordering from they may be able to get someone to fine tune the LvL 10 or sumtin. if not it is probably worth the money to take it to a shop to get it installed properly.

A couple shops around me don't even know what lvl 10 is. I think you'd have more luck just asking agd to tune it for you. There might be a chance that the shope has no clue what their doing and then charge you for work on it.

magman007
01-02-2004, 01:56 AM
well, if it is venting out the back, you will be able to feel it. Im assuming since the loss of your hearing, your other sences have sharpened. if its leaking down the barrel, you should be able to feel it with your hand of your barrel isnt overly ported.

if you are working on the gun, and tuning lx, then you will be able to feel the bolt leaking, without a barrel on. im sure you will be able to figure it out.

Im sorry for your hearing loss, but if you wouldnt mind sharing, what was it that caused you to loose it?

Beemer
01-02-2004, 03:20 AM
Hey mindflux
Joined on Christmas Day...Welcome to AO

You didnt put down a location,but heres a thought. Use the AO network,its a beautiful thing. Theres a good chance an AO-er is near or at the field,find out and ask for help that is what the AO family is all about.

or maybe call up AGD. maybe if you explain your situation to one of the people you are ordering from they may be able to get someone to fine tune the LvL 10 or sumtin.

Good idea to. Ask if they will do a little extra break in for ya so it will be tuned good and you should be fine

Enjoy your mag you will love it

personman
01-02-2004, 03:23 AM
You could always stick it in a bath tub and look for bubbles :cool:
Mags are cool that way :cool:

fire1811
01-02-2004, 07:14 AM
chances are your gun will come tuned but after a couple cases of paint you will probably need to drop down a half a carrier, since your oring has become broken in. just use the same oring as before and the smaller carrier. and since the new guns come the the higher pressure reg piston you "shouldnt" have to worry about venting out the back. thats mostly with the old lower pressure reg pistons.

it thats what all your worried about i wouldnt there is plenty of people here that are willing to help you out

good luck

tonybhall
01-02-2004, 07:15 AM
Hey Mindflux,

If you purchase the Custom ULE RT, it will be factory installed and tuned by AGD. So, it should work fine when you get it. I just got mine about two days ago and have not had any problems with it except for some really old crappy paint that I tried to run through it.

Mine is set up very nicely. I got the ULE trigger kit and it is very reactive. It looks great and shoots great.

When you order it, there is a section where you can leave a comment. You may want to explain your situation to them and maybe they will spend a little extra time on yours to make sure it is tuned perfectly. Also, you could call the main office and speak to Marcia. Let her know your thoughts and she will do what ever she can to help. She is really nice.

Good Luck,
Bryan

Lee
01-02-2004, 09:19 AM
ask the guy standing next to you if he hears a leak.

Tunaman
01-02-2004, 09:24 AM
I also could build you one, tune it, then break it in real good. You shouldnt have any other problems for years to come. Mags are great like that. Let me know. :D ;)

Mindflux
01-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by magman007

Im sorry for your hearing loss, but if you wouldnt mind sharing, what was it that caused you to loose it?

Nobody knows for certain. After many CT scans,tests and steroid injections directly into my ear drum.. Nobody knows.

There's not even a way to get the ringing out of my ear... which would be a godsend, considering I hear it from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep.

Mindflux
01-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Beemer
Hey mindflux
Joined on Christmas Day...Welcome to AO

You didnt put down a location,but heres a thought. Use the AO network,its a beautiful thing. Theres a good chance an AO-er is near or at the field,find out and ask for help that is what the AO family is all about.

Good idea to. Ask if they will do a little extra break in for ya so it will be tuned good and you should be fine

Enjoy your mag you will love it

I'm in Austin, TX. :)

coolcatpete
01-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Mindflux

I'm in Austin, TX. :)

Welcome to AO find someone that is a member on AO in TX and ask if they would mind doing this.
Pete

Muzikman
01-02-2004, 12:57 PM
If you are in Austin, you are in luck, talk to Havoc_online.

lord1234
01-02-2004, 01:11 PM
buy a mag and bring it to TEXBALL in february....there will probably be about 80-100 of us AT least there who will gladly tune ur mag for you...

cphilip
01-02-2004, 01:35 PM
Let me point out to you that ANY PAINTBALL marker has a tendency to leak somewhere, somehow. You are always needing to check and discover leaks and such in them. They are ALL pneumatic systems with various joints and places that may stick and things leak. So your no worse off with detecting leak issues in a Mag than you are with any other Marker. Your at a disadvantage if you cannot detect them no matter what Marker you are using. A point to consider there. Your going to need some help from your buddies either way.

Mindflux
01-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Let me point out to you that ANY PAINTBALL marker has a tendency to leak somewhere, somehow. You are always needing to check and discover leaks and such in them. They are ALL pneumatic systems with various joints and places that may stick and things leak. So your no worse off with detecting leak issues in a Mag than you are with any other Marker. Your at a disadvantage if you cannot detect them no matter what Marker you are using. A point to consider there. Your going to need some help from your buddies either way.

No, no I fully understand that. I own a spyder at the moment. It just *seems* (from reading a board for mags) that a lot of people have leak issues with their LX, or atleast when they're tuning them.

I'm just concerned, that with the tuning required on a mag.. that I won't be able to do it properly myself.

WARPED1
01-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Tuning the LX is easy really, and a nescasary thing, once tuned, you'll rarely ever need to retune it.

cphilip
01-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Mindflux

No, no I fully understand that. I own a spyder at the moment. It just *seems* (from reading a board for mags) that a lot of people have leak issues with their LX, or atleast when they're tuning them.

I'm just concerned, that with the tuning required on a mag.. that I won't be able to do it properly myself.

Well it probably just seems that way. Its about the only thing that detects a set up issue is leaks and not resetting. And so you see people come here for help in getting it right the first time. After you have done a few you can almost do them without even messing around with them. The last three or four I have done where right dead on the first time I put air to them. You sort of get a feel for how tight the carrier needs to be and all after a few times doing them. The people you see coming here are doing them for the first time. So disproportional to the real world. People don't come for help when they get em right the first try. More often than not thats the case. Its a matter of experience. Almost anyone that has successfully done one can do the next one in a heart beat.