PDA

View Full Version : hahahaa interesting computer ?problem?

impostal22
01-02-2004, 11:43 PM
i never have problems with my comps that i can't figure out..usually.

lately, my programs' icons have been changing on me..which is odd as hell. whyyyyyyyyy is this happening? like..today..my adaware shortcut icon changed to the mafia icon..lol..wtf?

edit- another intersting problem of recent...when i go to the windows update page...it errors out after i click scan for updates...WTF?!

.tMan
01-03-2004, 12:15 AM
can you say... Virus?

Jet-Xino
01-03-2004, 12:34 AM
can you say... Virus?

That or spyware. Doesn't sound good.

.tMan
01-03-2004, 01:05 AM
spyware, yes that could be!

try "spybot search and destroy"
and "ad aware"
look for those both on http://www.download.com

pb[pyro]10261
01-03-2004, 01:13 AM
some annoying virus or spyware is messing with you head. try running as-aware and spybot and an antivirus if you have one. if you scan with all three you should find the problem.

impostal22
01-03-2004, 01:59 PM
i've done all three...found nothing..that's why i'm like WTF?

pbzmag
01-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Try this site (http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads.php?cat=sp#det). Download CWShredder or HiJack This.

impostal22
01-03-2004, 02:25 PM
i'm really starting to get concerned about this windows update thing...and i've done adaware, spybot, and virus scan...killed all spyware...and found no viruses...:(

and when i try to update spybot, it stops responding..sigh

tobz
01-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Click to find more information about the windows update error. it will have a code, like 004e9995 or something like that. Then just click on the help link and match your code to the error code on the site. They have a description for almost all errors, and usually a way to fix them.

If you can't figure it out, let me know what the error # is and I'll tell you how to fix it.

T.J.

personman
01-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Thats happened to me before too, I just ignore it. I think its a glitch in windows or something.

impostal22
01-03-2004, 02:32 PM
0x800A138F is my error number..

another problem i'm having is nothing on www.ifilm.com works for me..i think it might be my firewall, but i'm not sure. none of the java commands open when i try. java works on other sites though..so i guess it's probably my firewall..

FalconGuy016
01-03-2004, 02:35 PM
How new is your firewall?

devildog
01-03-2004, 02:35 PM
format c: /q ;)

Sparq
01-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Mine does that too on occasion. I too have used anti spyware utilities, virus scanners, etc...bah.

Ah well...soon I build a new system.

tobz
01-03-2004, 02:48 PM
**Taken right from the windows update page**

Problem Description:
This problem occurs when you are trying to scan for updates. When you scan the machine for updates, and then click on one of the active links in the left pane, the installation process does not complete.

Resolutions:
This behavior indicates that the scan process encountered an error it could not recover from. You may be able to determine the specific error by looking in the Windows Update.log file, located in the Windows folder on Windows XP, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition. The folder is located in the Winnt folder on Windows 2000.

Temporarily disabling antivirus and firewall programs while you use Windows Update may solve this problem. Be sure to enable them again when you complete the update process.

You might also be able to resolve this issue by deleting all of the content in Program Files\Windowsupdate and Program Files\Windowsupdate\V4 except for the iuhist.xml file located in Program Files\Windowsupdate\V4.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue Applies To:
Windows 2000
Windows XP

impostal22
01-03-2004, 04:52 PM
falconguy- it's norton 2003 and i keep it always up-to-date

devildog- NO

sparq- this IS a new system...very new...maybe it's a weird XP glitch..?

tobz- "When you scan the machine for updates, and then click on one of the active links in the left pane, the installation process does not complete" doesn't describe my problem exactly. my problem is more that the scan itself doesn't work, not the install. i tried the firewall thing though, and it didn't work. i'm gonna try the other solutions next...if you can find a more accurate solution that'd be great..i appreciate your help!

impostal22
01-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by tobz
**Taken right from the windows update page**

by looking in the Windows Update.log file, located in the Windows folder on Windows XP, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition.

You might also be able to resolve this issue by deleting all of the content in Program Files\Windowsupdate and Program Files\Windowsupdate\V4 except for the iuhist.xml file located in Program Files\Windowsupdate\V4.

neither the file "windows update.log" (or just "update.log") nor the folder "windowsupdate" exist...:-/

Emily
01-03-2004, 05:03 PM
when you can't figure out what the prob is, you then save everything you want to keep, the computer and reload windows. that will take care of it all.

dump the computer = reformatting the hard drive

impostal22
01-03-2004, 05:06 PM
HMMMM i seemed to have fixed the windows update problem...by going to the languages option in internet options...and adding english to it...(the list was originally empty). i have NO idea why that fixed it...but it did....

anyone have any ideas about the ifilm.com problem?

thanks to everyone who helped btw :).

edit- all that work, and the only update was for my networking card..lol...........but i'm glad it works now!