PDA

View Full Version : American Muscle.

MagMan5446
09-07-2001, 08:22 PM
Ah...nothing is more American than some good ol' muscle cars. Of course, now there are the 4 cylinder pieces of tin to compete. Let's talk about this.

THIS IS NOT A FLAME.

I don't know much about foriegn cars...but of what Hasty8 (I think it was him) said about a Honda Civic having only 350hp and going 0-60 in 3.4 seconds just doesn't match. Not unless it has naus, which will propel the horsepower up to 800 or even more. Without it though...I don't think that it is possible. Even if they weigh only 1 ton.

If you take, lets say a '63 Nova (which by the way isn't a heavy car at all) and lets put a 548ci engine in this. Tub out the body...strip it down, do a little custom milling if you like...put a blower on it...what do you have? A car with 950+ horsepower. This car will not take a long time to accelerate either.

Let's take these cars and race them say....a 1/4 mile. The civic may take the lead, but halfway the nova catch up and beat the civic. If the civic has naus...it may win. Of course, if it has naus, we would have to go 1/2 mile.

Also, in my opinion, the American car sounds and looks a whole lot cooler.

I'm not saying I know everything about cars, but I know enough.

Lemme hear what you guys think.

By the way, when I called Civics "pieces of tin" I was referring to their weight. And you can switch the civic with an eclipse or any car that you wish, as long as it's foreign.

Maybe there should be a poll for this....

EnW
09-07-2001, 10:24 PM
Personally I am a Mustang FREAK! But I tell ya...you got to respect anyone that can turn a 9 second quarter mile on motor alone! I can't remember who the guy is...I was just thumbing through the 'zines while at the local wal-mart but this dude was in a civic hatch running a v-tec with no turbo no nos just motor and is looking to run 8's this season. That's one mean civic!:mad: ;) :mad: :D :o :cool:

a_malfunction
09-07-2001, 10:29 PM
I dont care about what company made a car.... I like ALL fast cars.... be it a Venom Viper with its Twin Turbo V-10 that puts out 833hp or a Civic with a inline 4 on nitro that puts out 300hp... I just like fast cars regardless of make or model.

zvanut
09-07-2001, 11:00 PM
i agree w/ a_malfunction, though i DO NOT like mustangs,(w/ the exception of the 67' shelbey gt-500, but thats a whole new story) or fords at all.

TamaPlaya
09-08-2001, 05:56 PM
'71 Dodge Challenger.. Dark purple with ghost flames.. All black, leather interior.. Tinted windows.. Front end lowered about 2".. back and lowered about 1".. drop a 440 in it with a blower.. *drool* :D :cool:

bofh
09-08-2001, 08:23 PM
I am a foreign car freak, my life currently just revolves around cars built outside the US.

I'm a british car freak.

I went to Scotland this summer and got to drive a TVR Cerbera 4.5... (www.tvr-eng.co.uk) And it easily is the fastest car I have ever been in, much less driving.

It only has a 4.5 liter engine, (about 270ci), weighs 2300lbs, comes with a FIA approved roll cage (hidden behind leather, of course) and a tube frame. And finished in the best british style of wood and leather. Oh and did I mention it seats four? Really seats four. 0-60? 4.2 seconds.

And that's how it comes from the factory stock, they make race versions... race versions that beat GTO vipers and pretty much everything except those pesky Listers :)

Of course, I think you're talking about drag racing, while I'm talking about road racing. Which I've found American cars really suck at.

I warn you, bring up cars again I'll talk for hours about TVR and how great they are :)

Shaun Nelson
'87 TVR 280i :)
'82 Jaguar XJ6

braaatz
09-08-2001, 09:18 PM
Well I prefer "american muscle" also, more specific v-8
power. I currently own a nitrous'ed small-block pinto
wagon thats a drag car only, and am building a 66 ford
fairlane that will have a 460(making 450-500hp all motor)

BUT I also dig 4-banger cars that screw.

I just like the torquey pull of a healthy v-8 and the
sound also.:cool:

MagMan5446
09-08-2001, 09:28 PM
I have a 468ci coming soon. I'll shave the heads and bore the pistons some more. '64 chevelle on the way too.

There's a guy down the street with a 460 in his pinto. it does the 1/4 in high 8's...damn fast.

Miscue
09-08-2001, 09:37 PM
Restoring a '68 302 4bbl Mustang Coupe...

Flamebo
09-09-2001, 01:09 AM
My friend just totally overhauled is '83 Berlinetta and I think I'm gonna buy it off him. I'll never buy a foreign car.

AGD
09-09-2001, 02:33 AM
Guys,

It's really all about horsepower to weight. Double the horsepower and double the weight you get the same performance in a straight line. An old nova weighs 3000 lbs, I know because I drove my mom's to a truck scale and got it weighed when I was 16.

A small 300 hp car might actually out do a bigger more powerfull car.

In the end I still think muscle cars sound and look way cooler....

AGD

jas142
09-09-2001, 08:03 AM
This thread is a pretty cool coincidence...

I just got my first car less then a week ago! It's a 'mineral gray' Mustang Convertable (V-6). I already got custom pin striping, and I have alot planned :)

One downside though.... I can't take my paintball gear in it, i'm afraid i'll get the car dirty :rolleyes:

MagMan5446
09-09-2001, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by AGD
Guys,

It's really all about horsepower to weight. Double the horsepower and double the weight you get the same performance in a straight line. An old nova weighs 3000 lbs, I know because I drove my mom's to a truck scale and got it weighed when I was 16.

If you tub and strip down the body, it'll weigh a whole lot less.

belligerant1
09-10-2001, 04:27 PM
as far as i'm concerned a fuel injected 4 cyl honda is fast but it doesn't have the low end torque i want. i have an old beat up primered 74 chevy truck w/a 402 w/ new crank,pistons, cam, carb, headers and it makes like 600ft lbs of torque @ 1750 rpm. it's put ya backside in the rear seat faster than any honda can tach up to 7 grand to make 300 horsepower. so as far as i'm concerned i want all honda's to stay in japan.

MagMan5446
09-10-2001, 05:17 PM
Hey, belligerent, you are turning my thread into a flame.

bofh
09-10-2001, 05:56 PM
Aren't there Honda's coming from the factory, with all the trimmings, coming with 240 hp? That cost 10k to 15k less than a corvette? and are just as fast, (it's a lot lighter)

It's the S2000, the latest in a golden history of Honda Sports cars,(S500, S600, S800) and it will put you backside in a seat PDQ.

I wouldn't bash imports so readily.

That being said, all hail TVR. :)

shartley
09-10-2001, 06:27 PM
Well, since I have owned a few vehicles (LOL) I might as well chime in.

I loved my 77 Cordova with its Holly 4 Barrel Carbs and 400 engine. It was decked out with Hercules Street Legal Slicks on the back, full torsion and sway bars, skid plate in the front, limo tinted windows on a dark green paintjob, glass-pack duel exhaust, and more…. Heehee she was one heck of a head turner! It was like driving the USS Enterprise down the street at warp speed. LOL But the gas gauge went almost as fast as the speedometer.

And I owned a Triumph TR-7 for a VERY brief time in the early 80’s… so brief that I can’t remember the year of the car. LOL But that was a VERY small car for me (read further and you will see why). ;)

Then you take my 85 Dodge Charger with the Shelby Turbo setup. Now THAT little car could blow some doors off! But it did not FEEL like my Cordova, nor sound like it. But it also did not DRINK like it either. It was MUCH better on my wallet at the pumps. However, you just did not get the same feeling sitting at a stop light as when in the Cordova.

Then there was my 87 GMC Step-side. THAT was a sweet truck! Although it only had a 305 under the hood, the light weight of the truck more than made up for the lack of a 350 or larger. The overall feel was more in line with my Cordova (you can’t tell I loved that car can you? LOL). The deep sound of the engine, the power and torque, the feel of being IN a vehicle as opposed to putting one ON. Yes, for me that matters, I am 6’4”.

And now you take my Dodge Grand Caravan! Actually, I have a rather nice one with the 6cyl under the hood and the towing package and all. It can move along quite well when I need it to. But my days of muscle cars have been put aside temporarily... the family comes first. And with a family of 6, none of my other vehicles would have cut it. LOL

So, I guess I can say I like SPEED no matter how it is achieved. But because of my height, I like the larger muscle cars of the late 60’s to early 80’s. I have my eye out for another when my youngest starts school. LOL That is if my wife does not get one first… we both drool when we pass a good muscle car with a For Sale sign on it.

I think that is all I will say on the matter though. It is all about personal preference.

bofh
09-10-2001, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by shartley
And I owned a Triumph TR-7 for a VERY brief time in the early 80’s… so brief that I can’t remember the year of the car. LOL But that was a VERY small car for me (read further and you will see why). ;)

Yes, for me that matters, I am 6’4”.

That's why you need a TVR... after 1983 the guy who bought the company is 6'5" and made sure every car he built would fit him... I've met the guy, and he's a mutant.

It's not good for my wife, (who's 4'11") but fine for me (6'1")

And a TVR 280i with 302 is the very best in the world!

BTW, the TR-7 weren't very good, the TR-8's on the otherhand were stunning.

shartley
09-10-2001, 07:00 PM
My height was not the ONLY reason I got rid of it. LOL As you pointed out. :) But good thing was if I got a flat, I could put the whole car on my back and carry it to the service station. LOL

(Joke people.. LOL but it IS a very small car and you could push it up hill with one hand. LOL)

bofh
09-10-2001, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by shartley
I could put the whole car on my back and carry it to the service station. LOL

(Joke people.. LOL but it IS a very small car and you could push it up hill with one hand. LOL)

There are tiny, My TVR isn't much bigger, and it's a little bit lighter (fiberglass and tube frame) and basicly the same wedgey shape.

For one month, my starter had broken, and every day I'd push start my car to get to work. The car was so light, I could push the car to jogging speed, jump in and pop the clutch... Somedays, I'd park on a hill, to make the afternoon drive easier.

It's the gas stations that convinced me to get it fixed :)

MagMan5446
09-10-2001, 07:42 PM
Beating a stock 'vette isn't too much to brag about....but impressive none the less.

bofh
09-10-2001, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by MagMan5446
Beating a stock 'vette isn't too much to brag about....but impressive none the less.

I'd think it is, for a stock-from-the-factory car for 34k. Not much to compare stock cars too, than other stock cars. Once you start adding do-dads and turbo and NOS all bets are off. Almost any car can have enough stuff added to it be fast, (prime example, a '87 Dodge dakota with a 528 Hemi in the bed...)

I like to compare things with factory warrantys

you can see it coming... Like TVR's :)

As much as I've bashed, (not really) American Cars, I'd love to see real muscle cars being made again. I wanna see MiniVans with V8s, great big engines in station wagons, big fast sedans again. Great wonderfull muscle cars. Not just three models, and with the F-body dead, I doubt I'll seeing a lot more... :(

MagMan5446
09-11-2001, 06:30 PM
That would really suck in my opinion.

Muscle cars are classics, classics that are unable to be remade. The feeling just.......wouldn't be there.

Even if a 'vette costs 34k, that has absolutely no effect on how fast the car will go.

TamaPlaya
09-11-2001, 08:59 PM
I want a funny car... *droooool*

speedballbanks
09-12-2001, 06:50 PM
ok i got a pinto that has nitro a plastic intake four nitrous systems 33 horsepower and a real muffler oh yeah last week i beat a 21 speed beat that. :D :D :D :confused: . lol just kidding i like those little ricers but you got to admit a supercharged copcar with nitrous will kill a ricer oh yeah we have alot of ricerridebyes that means when a ricer flies by and he wants to race and they think they are going to win except when me and my uncle are in his 62 vette and they get blown away and guess what no nitrous and they got beat like a redheaded stepchild :D :D :D

MagMan5446
09-12-2001, 07:11 PM
....for showing us your terrible knowledge in cars, and your lack of grammar skills.

We are now all stupider. (sorry I just watched Billy Madison :þ)

speedballbanks
09-12-2001, 08:29 PM
it was a joke bro

Xzion
09-13-2001, 06:24 PM
I'd love to get my grubby mitts on the beautiful Aston Martin V12 Vanquish... stock with its superchager lol... would seem all my favourite cars are British... the second being Lotus *drools* :D

TamaPlaya
09-13-2001, 09:55 PM
hell yeah, Lotus... *drools* :cool: :D

Major Ho
09-14-2001, 11:05 AM
So far this thread has been pretty appealing to me... I cant help but snicker every time a rice burner flies by thinking hes king of the road when his car sounds like a leafblower on crack. Or better yet...an oversized bumblebee maybe, nawh that sound isnt close enough but you get the point. I love the roar and rumble of good ol american muscle cars. Them annoying lil rice burners out there are just plain obnoxious. Tee Hee, I hope to have me a SVT mustang in the near future... Stopped at a redlight the other day and this Saleen darn near made me wet my pants...

oh boy...:( bring on the flames :D

MagMan5446
09-15-2001, 07:20 AM
But now you're saying that ALL foreign cars are slow...which is not only not true, but it will turn my thread, which you like so dearly, into a flame.

FaSSt
09-15-2001, 08:51 AM
OK, I just HAVE to comment on this thread. My "credentials"? Years of dragracing at the track and, allegedly, on the street (SAFE circumstances only). My nick on AO is derived form the Camaro SS that I drive.

Some observations:

1. Yes, there are some FAST Hondas or other similar imports, but

2. There are VERY few of them.

3. It does not have to be an import to be "Rice". A Neon or even a V-6 Camaro with a wing and ground effects and a noisy exhaust IS rice.

4. The proper way to spell the short term for Nitrous Oxide is NOS. But even this addition will not make MOST ricers fast.

5. Front wheel drive cars have a disadvantage when launching, because of the weight-transer away from the drive-wheels. Slicks and a stiff suspension can negate this to some extent, but slicks are a horrible bad idea on the street.

6. The fast imports you are likely to encounter are modded Supras, some Eclipses, and a few Civics. But they comprise about .1 % or less of all imports out there.

7. All else being equal, it's very hard to beat a modern domestic V8, especially bang for the buck. I'm not talking about crappy 70s smog motors or 4500 pound heavyweights here.

8. Very few things on the road will beat my car, for instance, but there have been a few modded Supras that have whopped it badly.

9. Most Vettes will not race you, as they are driven by some midlife-crisis casualty. Even when they do, convertibles are way slower than my car. (Still a rocketship compared to most ricers, however.)

10. Vipers are plain sick, and 911 Turbos are the fastest stock cars on the street due to their ability to actually plant their 400 horsepower.

11. Numbers lie. Look at torque, not peak horsepower. My car has 320 HP, but also 435 pound feet of torque. A 300 HP import, unless on nitrous, will have a LOT less torque.

12. ANY car with an annoying exhaust is, well, annoying. So please, resist the urge to put on that POS $250 polished ricer fart-can.

Have fun, be safe, and go to a track to be safe.

InfinatyBPS
09-15-2001, 10:38 PM
LoL. I thought you were saying Anus for a while lol.

TamaPlaya
09-16-2001, 06:03 PM
Ahahahaha... "Leafblower on crack" thats good... *whipes the tear from his eye* hehheh:D :p :rolleyes:

Ityl
09-18-2001, 09:46 PM
Why is fast only in a straight line? Like a viper will run fast 1/4 times, but on a track a z06 is way faster, and half the cost. Then you get the japanese cars, cheap, fast, light good handling, but are so cheesy, they still don't have the quality. Yes some if the inexpensive american cars are the same way, but most american cars still have better quality, look and see what cars look and run nice after 10 years, I see a lot of beater japanese cars. And american cars have way more style, can't tell them japanese ones apart. Monte Carlo SS, Impala, Mustang, Viper, Vette, Avenger, all these cars have some really nice style. I will prolly never buy a non american company car. Think of the difference of Kingman and AGD.

FaSSt
09-18-2001, 10:07 PM
You right about the different measures of "fast" - it's just that the initial topic was straight-line acceleration.

But I would disagree with your statement about imports having "less quality". I love my Camaro, and it IS fast, but the inside is nothing compared to some Japanese cars that are $10,000 cheaper.

In terms of handling, unless you are looking at a very smooth TRACK surface, you want an independent suspension for best results and optimum streetability. It's VERY hard to beat an Integra GSR, for instance, in the twisties. My Camaro may well loose a race on a winding road to a well prepared Integra, despite me having an enormous (over 100 HP) advantage.

One thing people forget is that this is kind of like the Mag vs. Cocker debate. Out "adversaries" are not each other, domestic vs. import. The common "enemy" is the unskilled, uncaring, unattentive, cell-phone blathering idiot in a 3 ton SUV, or any other dumb driver. Performance enthusiasts, friendly ribbing aside, must unite or loose a lot of our rights.

TamaPlaya
09-18-2001, 10:39 PM
How 'bout a F-22 Raptor? Fast enough for ya? A F-22 would make a dragster look like a paralized turtle!

udtseal
09-23-2001, 12:39 PM
I like cars...Im happy with my 1.8T Jetta Wolfsburg, 150hp, 162 ft. lbs. of tourqe. No rocket but its fun to drive. People get so bent out of shape, don't sweat the small stuff. Someone, somewhere, will always have a faster car. :D

MikeCouves
09-25-2001, 02:09 PM
Man. Some guy in British Columbia that is rollin the the cash that was obsessed woith boats. He pulled up in the coolest looking truck and the biggest boat and boat trailer I have ever seen at the boat launch. The truck was the front of a freightliner semi, and the back of a dodge ram. Anyways, who cares about the truck :p.

The boat had a 1200 HP engine, couldn't get a chance to get up close but I was close enough to see the nice insides. Now I don't know much about engines and cars...but this beast was so loud I think people left cuz their ears hurt! Man, I love that deep sound of american muscle cars, and this...man I was almost crying. Duuuuuuuuuuuun, dddddddddun, duuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnn. Everyone was so impressed.

Then we went out in the water and starting showing off. He wanted to test out how his completely custom boat worked. He made the boat completely himself so it was pretty cool. He could do like 120 mph at half throttle. You could hear him from the other side of the lake and this was a BIG lake. It sounded like the boat was right in front of you, yet when it was like 2 miles away.

It had to be the nicest sound I have ever heard...and it sure bet our boat, having like 350 or something, lol.

He sure got to the fireworks first that night :).

DRAGONSLAYER
09-26-2001, 12:03 PM
I love American cars, but will respect anyone who builds 'em
fast! I'm in the process of restoring a '86 Monte Carlo SS.

:D

bornl33t
09-27-2001, 04:09 AM
Well, being just another joe shmoe on the road I respect any car that can lay down some serious rubber, but one thing alot of ppl still need to learn it to NOT put down other ppl's cars. I own a Mustang, my dad had a 71 mach 1 with a 429 cobra jet and I'm on my best way there. Other then the pre 93 mustangs I have a hard time liking the rest. If I ever get the money together I will buy a chevy truck. I like the "american truck look" they truly show. I thing japaness cars have the sport look though through and though and if I'm ever rich, a BMW, Porsch or Mercedes would be my choice.

That said, to all of you that have a problem with domesic cars: No matter what kinda 4 banger you roll up in you will NEVER be able to out perform a v-8. Displacement will shut anything down. Not to mension that domestic motors are cheap and the aftermarket is huge.

TO all those to have a problem with Ford, that's fine so do I. But, how is it possible that something so hated is holding the current drag/speed record in the 1/4 mile?

Oh and a F-22 isn't that fast in the 1/4 mile. But the towl heads may find it's certain trouble once it leave the 1/4 mile :)

And ummm, fart cans as soooooo anoing.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
09-27-2001, 06:41 AM
I'm 14 and LOVE Chevy's. My dad has a 71 Nova, factory air, original miles,
Bad stuf
crapy piant-job, seats tearing(we wanna put bucket seats in it), and every summer different parts break and we replace them (I think we almost have the whole thing replaced but not fancy just regular parts):D.

Any way I wanna get a Chevelle, Z/28, or '57' Vette.
My to favorite cars are 1968 Z/28 with all the good stuff( duel exhaust, 407, naus, ect.)
Or a 1957 Vette with all the good stuff ;)
I don't know why I'm telling you this forgive me if I got off topic:rolleyes: :confused:

bornl33t
09-27-2001, 10:54 AM
ps.... fast and the furious is 99% made up. If you talk to anyone that knows cars you will be made fun of if you bring up anything from the movie.

Neus I presume is NOS. in the movie they call is neus but that's the movie... in real life it's called nitrous. short for nitrous oxide, O2. Just had to teach my cousin this last night.

Flamebo
09-27-2001, 01:35 PM
GM just announced that it's going to stop making the Camaro and Firebird. They're both watered down versions of the real muscle cars, but it's still a shame.

Flamebo
09-27-2001, 01:41 PM
I despise when I hear people say "naus" or "nos" or however they spell it, and most of the time it's because of that crap movie which I refuse to watch. Nitrous Oxide is NO2, and "NOS" means Nitrous Oxide System. There's no gas called "naus" so take your F&F rice movie terms elsewhere.

Micromag5371
09-30-2001, 03:20 PM
ok, i might catch some slack here, but i dont mind. Let me start by saying new cars suck. almost every new car is dumb, with exceptions for pontiac trans am muscle car, which puts out 320 HP, and all new porsche's which i have a great deal of respect for. i am only 15, but i think about this kinda stuff alot. Somebody told me that a Saab would beat a porsche in a 1/4 mile....i told him otherwise, because saab's are stupid and i really dont think they can match the performance of a porsche. Now, with that said, i dont see any reason to like other new cars. I can not tell the diference between a Crown Victoria (unless its a cop car) and a concord sitting besides it. Alot of new cars look the same. the companies are cloning other companies designs, which is only beneficial to a marketing point of view, not to the public appeal. Back in the 60's and 70's you could tell which car was which, by the looks or the sound. they sounded different, they looked different, and they ran different. American muscle cars cannot be beat by anything if you ask me. i would rather sink $2,000 + another $10,000 into restoration for an old car than spend $12,000 on a new car. its not worth it to look like everybody elses car. and when you spent the same amount on a muscle car as you did on a new car, you have a better, nicer looking, and better running car than the new one. proper maintenance will prevent any problems so dont give me any crap about reliability.
My dream car would have to be a 63' chevy nova with a 402 under the hood with some NOS, a blower, 2 quad carbs, and some 5 point restraints becasue you would need them, along with a roll cage. now, i am 15 like i stated, and i wont have that type of car for a long time, but i will have a nice car someday, and it wont be new. Chevrolet laguna's are the best!

Major Ho
10-01-2001, 07:06 AM
Ive heard it at least twice recently, someone would be tuning or messing around with a car, i know for sure one time it was a mustang, that when they would revv the engine and get real high the engine or something would kinda sputter and sometimes make a slight pop sound...Doesnt sound very healthy to me and I was just wondering what was up? the initial rumble and roar is still quite impressive.

Someone said long line of Honda sport cars in an earlier post...OMGorsh I couldnt help but laugh at that...I do admit the S2000 is pretty slick though, almost kept up with her older sis, NSX in some road tests.

Zumina
10-01-2001, 04:34 PM
I can't really say which is better. I've seen some Civics that really move, but they're only about as fast as a bone stock 305 camaro. Some have had some success racing against higher end cars (ie. camaros), but, most people do not know how to efectively race. Camaros will sit and spin their tires while the civic launches and takes off. Ever wonder why you never see civics in rubber competitions? So, as it is said in the great game of paintball, it's not the car, but the driver. I assure you of this. I could probably put together a civic that would wipe out all of the "fast" cars that are parked in my schools parking lot. Simply because, a good majority of them don't know what they're doing when it comes to racing. All they understand is putting the pedal to the floor and expecting to win. Much like TWiBs; lay on the trigger and expect to win. Who would win in a race, a high school kid in a SS Camaro, or Jeff Gordon in a nicely equiped Civic?

braaatz
10-04-2001, 03:00 AM
Torque is what USALLY wins on the street, because thats
what gets you moving. V-8s have more torque at lower
rpm's vs. a 4 or 6 cyl.
If torque is available quicker the car will move quicker
of the line and start producing horsepower sooner.
In DRAG RACING, cars are usally set up to launch at peak torque, regardless of engine size. Available torque
is used, making it MORE of a power to weight issue.
This is general speak, a 83 Crown Vic with a v8 wont
beat an Integra type-R(on the street). But a 93 mustang with similar HP would be the favorite against the type-R, in my book.

bornl33t
10-04-2001, 04:45 AM
Just outta curiosity.... how many of you have, had or worked on a car built for racing or performance?

I've had 3 mustangs and will be buying yet another soon.
When you race there are 2 types of racing.
drag and autocross. NO car can be builtt for both, period.

This is why import vs domestic is pointless. Domestics were made with v-8 up until just the last few years. Generally they where made for going straight.
Imports are generally made to turn and go on.

This is like comparing a horse to a turtle. Can a horse dive? Can a turle run?

the ONE thing they have in common is what causes them to go fast! weight vs torque vs tracktion
I think we can all agree that the lighter a car is, the more torque a car has, the better it can hook up the FASTER it will move.

This is why have had 3 and going on 4 FOX3 mustangs. @ 2300-3300 lbs they are faily light. The Ford 302 roller short block is an AWESOME engine. Not to big as to add tons of weight and not to small to lack the displacement. I have heard of ppl squeezing no less then 700 ponies outta this block before they blew it up. The fox3 chassie is light. the coupe weights in around 2300lbs the hatch around 2800lbs and the vert around 3300 lbs. If you can find a car capable of hitting 700HP with the factory block @ 2300. You have a car with some real potencial.

by the way awd or rwd is no biggie. slap a set of micky tompson et's ( dragslicks ) on a rwd car and you've more then made up the tracktion. not to mension awd is heavy. And a mustang has great weight transfer.

Anyone care to agree/disagree?

Gunga
10-04-2001, 12:48 PM
Here's an old 'muscle car' of German origins. :) That's me driving it...unfortunately, it's not my car! DOH!

braaatz
10-04-2001, 01:49 PM
GUNGA I do have a 75 pinto wagon with a nitroused
302, that is used only for drag racing(the car is
nowhere near street legal). I also am building a 66
ford fairlane with a 460.
I agree with your opinion on the 4cyl. vs. 8cyl. debate,
and also about straight line and cars built for handling.
Two friends of mine race SCCA, they both have 4cyl. turbo
AWD cars(subaru RS w/turbo kit and a celica all-trac turbo).
Understandably they get really frustrated when people
ask them how fast it is in a 1/4 mile or if there going to drag it. Some people just dont get it, but it has become
a general standard on how fast a car is.

Zumina
10-04-2001, 02:18 PM
My friends and I all race our cars almost every other weekend. We're anything special, just a group of guys with predominately stock cars trying to see who is the fastest over a windy road. Here we are:
95' 5.0 Mustang GT
96' Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T (turbo)
93' Nissan 240 SX
92' Lumina Z34 (that's me)
The eclipse is the only thing that can compete with me, truth. Dunno about Mustangs that you guys own, but the 5.SLOW has earned it's namesake time and time again in our group. Sorry, I'd never buy one.

MikeCouves
10-04-2001, 05:57 PM
Hey Gunga is that a Goldwing or whatever? Man they are really expensive...where were you in that beast?

Gunga
10-04-2001, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by MikeCouves
Hey Gunga is that a Goldwing or whatever? Man they are really expensive...where were you in that beast?

Uh...a Goldwing is a Honda motorcycle. :P The car is a Mercedes-Benz 300SL 'Gullwing'. It's from the '50's. Not sure what year exactly. That pic was taken in Indiana. Couldn't afford a $250,000+ car while I was in college (when those pics were taken). And I still can't afford a $250k+ car. DOH!

bofh
10-04-2001, 07:21 PM
It's not a Goldwing, it's a Gullwing, I'm sure the goldwing was just a typo, but it seems so people don't understand what greatness this car is. The 300sl is one of the greatest cars ever made.

The 300sl Coupe, called the Gullwing is one of the most historic cars of the 50's and one of the most recognisble.

The car was derived from the Formula One championship winning W194 driven Juan Manuel Fangio.

The car's sister, the roadster, finished 1st and 2nd at LeMans, in 1952.

The coupe won the Milla Migla, American Sports Car Championship and the International Sports Car Championship in 1955.

The 300sl was one of the first cars with working disk brakes and fuel injection. It had a 3 liter inline 6, making 240 hp. 0-60 in 7.4 sec. Top speed 162 mph. All very respectable numbers for a 1950's car.

Simply, if given the option, I would glady give a lung and a kidney for this car.

Micromag5371
10-04-2001, 07:46 PM
Ok, I just want to clear something up. As somebody mentioned above, "Porsche Turbo's are some of the fastest stock production cars for their ability to plant their 400+ HP." Now dont Criticize me, but the last time i checked some porsches wwere all wheel drive. this would make it ideal to race on bendy courses, which they were in the 70's and 80's, and some still are, and i bet they can compete in a drag race.

i might be wrong, just sharing what i know.

bornl33t
10-04-2001, 09:51 PM
what did I say about making fun of other ppls cars? 5.slow is like a slomaro? I've heard them all and stomped em into the ground.
The driver can make a world of differance. If you think a stang is slower then a lumina then I'm forced to assume that there was a serious problem with either the car or driver. That or the suspension on a mustang just made speed seem a whole lot easier to handle and so in you're mind it was slow.

I shure hope you find me on the street sometime. I'll take you're doors off going by you... in a stock 5.slow.

Shaft
10-05-2001, 10:26 AM
I'm currently building an 81 Trans Am. The 74 400 I built is ready to be dropped in. Just waiting to get my TH350 from the shop. Didn't want to do a 4speed conversion this time. The next project will have it.

This car is to satisfy my need for torque. Something my 94 Integra lacks.

By the way, Hondas are a lot like Mags. Good all around cars, but once you start messing with the internals, problems arise. Any failure I've had on my Acura over the past 108k mi was due to some bolt on that I stuck on it.
Don't get me wrong, the bolt ons were fine for the short term, but this is a daily.
Now if I only had saved my stock exhaust....

r

Temo Vryce
10-05-2001, 10:57 AM
NT

shartley
10-05-2001, 02:23 PM
Well, I must say people bring up some VERY good points in this thread!

But how about this…

I have seen many races won and lost due to the DRIVER and not the car. Good is good, and slight performance differences can matter little in real world situations. And when I see people argue about Import VS Domestic, I find that most times it ends up being a style and preference thing… and NOT a real Performance issue.

And if you look at what is being done to Imports VS Domestics, you see that style plays a big part of the equation. FAST is FAST. And a home is a home.. right? Then why don’t we all live in the same types of houses? HMMMMM

As with everything, I say to take pride in whatever you have. Make it the BEST it can be.

What do I like? Well.. I like the classic Muscle Cars. But I appreciate the Imports, and can be impressed with their style and speed as well. I like watching Rally Races. I also like watching full off-road races with ALL classes of trucks. I prefer to drive a Truck because lb for lb they offer the highest levels of testosterone of any vehicle on the street. LOL But my all time favorite Exotic Car is the F1… SWEET!

So as you can see, I like only the best. And guess what… there is a best in everything. In wines, in Import Luxury Cars, Domestic compact cars, pool cues, TV’s, and even WOMEN! And I demand only the best (heehee, just in case my Wife reads this….. see, never pass up a chance to schmooze.) in whatever I do.

I love seeing pride. And I love seeing loyalty. Both are great traits to have. And I am glad that most people on AO can distinguish between these qualities and the detriment of Close Mindedness and Pig Headedness that can prevent true enjoyment of ANY discussion and interest.

Thanks.