PDA

View Full Version : Do you think you have a soul?

rifleman
09-08-2001, 08:41 AM
I've been having this on-going argument with one of my friends on whether we actually have soul, or it's just a bunch of brain chemicals that defines us as an indivusual.

I've taken the side that believes in the soul, although he does bring up some interesting arguments. If our soul is our spirtual self without our actaully body, then what are drugs? In theory, drugs alter your soul, meaning it makes you "act" different which is really what your soul is in my sense; how you act. So what about the people that have to take medication like ridlein in order to act normal? Thats a chemical misbalance in someone's head, so what happens in the afterlife when there is no ridlen?

Another little theory we came up for christians is that in a sense that we are, meaning our personality, is nothing but a bunch of chemicals. So in logic, the lord already knows whats going to happen, how we're going to act, who's going to sin, etc... and we have no control over it, b/c it's nothing but brain chemicals anyway--almost like a computer program in a sense.

It's kinda funny how far this has gone, we've actually started quite a little conflict within our school about this subject. Teachers, students have all argued about it, what do you think?

(Mods- If this is viloating the no-religion policy, feel free to edit, delete, etc... to my post. I'm not really sure if it deals with religion or not, but it's still a worthy topic of friendly corner)

Army
09-08-2001, 11:54 AM
First tiny little hint that flames are on the way, this will be gone.

:cool:

PyRo
09-08-2001, 01:20 PM
Hmm, right now i want a gif of a fire to post here :)

MajorDamage
09-08-2001, 05:35 PM
The soul is just the mind, and all that stuff. I think everyone can agree people have a mind.(or at least most people) If you are talking about the Spirit, that is diffrent than a soul. And yes we have both.

Army! Now you have one of those pics too? MAN! Im outta the loop! hehe.

ENDO!

MagMan5446
09-08-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by MajorDamage
And yes we have both.

You can't say that. You believe it might be true. It might be true, but you don't know for sure.

From now on people, just say "And yes, I believe we have both".

Xzion
09-08-2001, 07:56 PM
I know a way to settle this, just use the simpsons method, go somewhere with automatic doors, if they open for you, you have a 'soul' if not, you find out how hard the door is hehe.... for myself, Im not really concerned one way or teh other, if people do have a soul, good for them, if not, ah well, was a good idea anyway.... *shrugs*:rolleyes:

tsc
09-08-2001, 08:51 PM
Yes.

In fact, I have two.

One on my left foot, and one on my right foot.

Major Ho
09-08-2001, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Sarah
Yes.
In fact, I have two.
One on my left foot, and one on my right foot.
LOL sarah... Me too, But I think the one on my left foot is falling apart. Other than that smart alec remark I dont want to say anything else for fear of speaking more nonsense and future flamings...
I plead the 5th

MajorDamage
09-08-2001, 09:36 PM
Well I do KNOW that i have both. So I don't NEED to say I beleive I have both. Do you say you BELEIVE you play paintball???

ENDO!

Magadeth
09-08-2001, 09:40 PM
I have several. If anyone here does not have a soul, let me know and I might be able to sell you a used one at a good price. If you would like to sell me yours, I'll give you the going rate of $19.99 U.S. although if you can convince me that you posess an exeptional soul the price is negotiable.:p

pbtaz
09-08-2001, 10:17 PM
Rifleman,
Your statement about chemicals making up our personality is only half correct. While it is true that our genetic build does predisposition us to react in certain ways to particular stimulis, our environment plays an equally important role in our development. And as to having no control over our impulses, I would have to disagree with this statement as well. One of the main things which set us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom is our ability to reason. In order to actually do this we would have to be able to control our impulses.
As for the actual question, you only have to wait for 1 lifetime to find out the answer.

beam
09-10-2001, 10:51 AM
When it comes to paintball, we say, "Don't speak unless you know what you are talking about." We also know a LOT of myths exist when it comes to paintball. Barrel legnth, accuracy, automag internals, etc.

How do we know the truth about these myths? We learned from someone who knows. Not maybe thinks.....actually knows. A lot of the answers come from people like Tom who actually do research and find out what is really going on. That is how the paintball myths are quashed.

What does this have to do with this thread? EVERYTHING! Everyone wants to put their two cents in and say what they THINK is really happening. I suggest we look to someone who has acutally done the research. *takes deep breath* Jesus.

You know...people (not just those who believed) did see him alive after the resurrection. He did die and come back three days later. Do you think that makes him qualified to give input into this matter?

cphilip
09-10-2001, 10:57 AM
I got soul... but I got no rhythm...

rifleman
09-10-2001, 03:48 PM
This is true pbtaz...We do have have the power to overcome those impules, but still; Wouldn't you say it is harder for some to control these impulse than for others?

Now apply this logic to the christianity Beam. It's a fact that to an extent, people are defined by the chemistry in their head (the other portion is due to their social pychology)--so where am I getting at? God "programmed" us to act a certain way, meaning he created the brain chemistry in head.--This also means that he would know how we are going to act, who's going to sin, steal, murder, love, etc...

Now to contradict this little argument, it says in the Bible that even though the Lord knows who we are and what we are to become, we still have our own free will--but what is free will when it's misguided by our own impulses that God gave us?

Chew on that for while ;)
Adam

-Jôker-
09-10-2001, 05:00 PM
im a Christian and i believe in souls im leaving it at that

MagMan5446
09-10-2001, 05:14 PM
Please leave religion out of it. Unless you want the thread closed.

shartley
09-10-2001, 05:25 PM
Actually I would like to point out that NO ONE is wrong with any answer they give. Why?

Because the original question was as follows:

Do you think you have a soul?

And as you can see it did NOT ask IF you have a soul, but if you THINK you have one. And that being the case, no one can be wrong! LOL

It is like asking someone what they thought 2 plus 2 equaled. If they said 9, they would NOT be wrong since you did not ask them what two plus two actually equaled, just what they THOUGHT it did. It is about paying attention to detail and actually asking the questions you want answered.

How about THAT for a discussion point!?! LOL :D

Ni cD
09-10-2001, 05:31 PM
I believe I have a soul. Go me. :)

beam
09-12-2001, 10:29 AM
rifleman....i tried to send this to you privately:

hey rifleman...this is beam

i decided to continue this discussion in private so we don't get that thread closed.

anyways...the points you bring up are good points, but we need to remember that God didn't "program" us to do his will. he gave us the choice. and since Adam and Eve sinned in the garden of eden, evil and sin has been a part of every human being ever....except one...Jesus the Christ.

that is one reason why he is a valid Savior...he never sinned.

don't get caught up in a Calvinistic mindset....where God knows what is going to happen...who is going to Heaven and who is going to Hell, so it doesn't matter what we do.

this isn't true. we were made to worship God, and until we do by receiving his gift of forgiveness through Jesus, we will not TRULY be happy.

god didn't give us the impulse to sin....just as he didn't create Lucifer (he used to be an angel who, because of pride, was kicked out of heaven) to be prideful and evil.

We turned and continue to turn from God on our own.

cphilip
09-12-2001, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by beam
this isn't true...

Well that does it. Pitting one against the other was the bench mark. Closing now.