PDA

View Full Version : New technology making sport better or worse??

Supatravis
01-04-2004, 09:51 PM
now with all the new technology black draguns and spyders etc. shoot as fast as the $1000 markers. I liked it when the expensive guns where the fastest and best because you knew the kid with that gun played awhile and worked his way up to that nice of a gun. Now the rich kid newbies go buy black draguns and the shooting like bats out of hell with no assintives of actually playing the sport. I liked the sport more when there was role play in it.

(not dogging on kind of guns) Just wondering on what other people think about the technology of this sport making it more fun or dulling the fun??

Mindflux
01-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Funny, I remember kids with ultra high end markers before hand.. and they had no clue what they were doing.

What's changed? Nothing, except the price of 'high end performing markers'.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
01-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Mindflux
Funny, I remember kids with ultra high end markers before hand.. and they had no clue what they were doing.

What's changed? Nothing, except the price of 'high end performing markers'.

And that its not the player that wins the game its entirely the gun :rolleyes:

Wierd-Guy
01-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Its REALLY good.

Cheap paint prices, noobs can now throw a good deal of paint and won't feel so out gunned, and personally, as long as the game doesn't somehow turn into a camper/paint trading style of game, its helping players play better with good, dense cover fire.

That being said, the cheap Dragons with Eyes don't do nearly what $1000+ guns do. They are hard pressed to shoot above 13 and kick like horses. Trix's, Timmies, AKA's, and the such are worth what you pay for them as long as you have the money to do so.

-=Squid=-
01-04-2004, 10:22 PM
wait...I think you have it backwards. The rich kids have the cheap guns? Isnt it the other way around?

Mindflux
01-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata

And that its not the player that wins the game its entirely the gun :rolleyes:

I never stated it was the marker, I said that rich kids had high performing guns and some (many) of them had them because they were bought for them regardless of their talent for the game. That doesn't mean there AREN'T rich kids who do have high performing guns and don't do well.

:rolleyes:

coolcatpete
01-04-2004, 10:47 PM
Hey it doesn't matter who has what guns as long as they are joining the sport and they help it grow. It sounds good to me.
Pete

Ginjiroku
01-05-2004, 12:00 AM
I hate it when people buy a $1000+ gun and have no idea how the gun works or how to play. You can be a noob with an angel but at least learn something about your marker or the sport before you play.

Lorquas
01-05-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
wait...I think you have it backwards. The rich kids have the cheap guns? Isnt it the other way around?

yea! cheap guns own rich kids! or something... :confused: ;)

Its not really a good or bad thing.... just annoying. Everybody hates it when the n00b trash talks cuz he can afford more, or even the n00b using 1.5 cases per 3 man game wile aiming at NOTHING (just to show off).

The simple solution to your nerves has been said a thousand times: take it to the field.

Butterfingers
01-05-2004, 12:45 AM
IMHO I think super High ROF guns promote camper type playing... The indudsty had the right idea with the 13 bps limit. Games were much more exciting back then and people moved alot more often.

shartley
01-05-2004, 07:37 AM
I too think there should be a BPS limit. Why not? There are limits put on all sorts of things, from cars, gun ammo, etc.

I don’t think “technology” is what makes any sport “bad” or “good”, least of all paintball. It is the PLAYERS that do. The equipment does nothing on its own, it must be USED. And how the equipment is used is what matters, not its capabilities.

Meph
01-05-2004, 07:38 AM
I think it's fine by me, because those kids simply won't be able to grow up in the environment and conditions I did. And when they go to the local tournaments the people with real skill will just mop the floor with them. Once they realize that they aren't the only ones with firepower picking on the 98C rental-noobs.

Who cares if they fire fast or if their parents buy them a brand new Timmy + Maxflo for their first marker via Mastercard?. It's nothing to get worked up about. Just go out, play, and have a good time.

Wierd-Guy
01-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Butterfingers
Games were much more exciting back then and people moved alot more often.
I strongly disagree. Even if I'm shooting my E-Cocker as fast as my loader can handle, it doesn't say I will get more people off the field. Off the break you need to throw as much paint down range as possable to clear out spaces in the field for your team to get good off the break positioning. With that better position, you have more options. If I keep the snake clean and let my front guy get in there, we can do what ever we want. probably 2 opponents will have to stay on that guy just to keep that guy down so my other guys can just go through the gaps and go kill freely. I see much more movement in the modern gaem than I do in the old footage I see on the net from time to time. Its fine that you disagree but don't expect every one to just say ok, xx balls a second is good. What about RT's? What are you going to do to cap those?

Aegis
01-05-2004, 09:37 PM
A few thoughts:

Technology affects a lot of sports out there - play golf? Buy a titanium driver bigger than your head to pick up a few yards. Shoot real firearms? Spend thousands to improve your group size by .001", or your speed by a few thousands of a second.

Buy skill? nobody has figured that out yet.

My son and I went to watch tryouts for the Oakland Assassins yesterday. The difference between teams was clearly their ability to communicate, move fast at the right time, and shoot in the right spot at the right time. From what I saw, volume of fire was important but was not the deciding factor.

For me, a big factor in cost is reliability. Before paintball, my competition experience was in shooting sports. If you didn't finish your course, you DQ'd. Can't win a match if you DQ on a single stage, so you better make sure your gear is solid as well as fast.