PDA

View Full Version : steam problem

e mag
01-05-2004, 12:34 AM
i downloaded steam and the CS and DoD packs, but whenever i try to join a game it freezes where the progress bar says precaching resources. is there any way to fix this?

Ginjiroku
01-05-2004, 12:43 AM
I hate steam so I don't use it so I can't help you... sorry

personman
01-05-2004, 12:47 AM
Steam is good stuff, dont bash it :mad:
As for your problem, I honestly havent a clue. Check out steam's forums. I once had a problem with steam and with 5 mins of research/using the search button on steam's forums I had a working solution, that worked for both my friend and I (we had the same problem)
http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=forums

Ginjiroku
01-05-2004, 12:49 AM
I wasn't bashing it but I just don't like it. If you like it ok that's fine but I don't like it.

-Carnifex-
01-05-2004, 01:00 AM
For me it just loaded really slowly and said it froze when I ctrl + alt + etc.

Thordic
01-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Ok, I've said this a million times, and I'll say it again.

When installing steam, do NOT use the steaminstall.exe file that makes you download counterstrike after you install steam by itself.

Find steaminstall_cs.exe on fireplanet or whatever, and use that. Its a 379MB download, and installs steam AND CS automatically.

Almost every single person I know who has used steaminstall.exe had problems, including myself. Yet everyone I know who used steaminstall_cs.exe had NO problems.

Thats my reccomendation.

Also, most Steam problems can be solved by going to settings, logging out completely, and then logging back in.

Steam has a few little glitches, but they've been improving it pretty steadily and the bugs are dissapearing slowly but surely.

personman
01-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Also alot of problems can be solved by going into C:\Program Files\Steam and deleating clientregistry.blob, but I think you loose all your saved settings. Idunno, thats what worked for me.

I also used the steaminstall_cs.exe