PDA

View Full Version : friend got busted for copyright infringment :O

impostal22
01-07-2004, 02:08 PM
he got an email the other day from his university saying he was disconnected from the server due to copyright infringement. if he felt like he was being wronged he was supposed to send information to MGM studios. thankfully, the university is charging him 25$ reconnect fee and a meeting with a DMCA agent...which could be bad or good. either way i think it's better than being dealt with directly by MGM...it didn't specify if it was for sharing or downloading, but i'm gonna assume it's sharing. so basically, if you are doing it and don't think it can happen to you, it can and just might, even if the RIAA is restricted by law now. they have their ways..sneaky government. this is probably being read by the FBI because i said the hotword "government" so..HI FBI!!!!!!!!

ps- no i'm not psychotic:(

Muzikman
01-07-2004, 02:13 PM
A lady my mother works with son got busted by the RIAA. He is 17 and is being sued for 1.5 million. They plan on settling out of court for just over $100,000. I am very anti-RIAA, but at this point, I do not have the money to fight them myself, so no more sharing MP3's via the file share programs for me, too easy to get caught.

Dubstar112
01-07-2004, 02:47 PM
if I have kazaa but no mp3's am I still guilty of infringement?

phantomhitman
01-07-2004, 03:19 PM
just bc you have kazza, limewire, and the other thousand file sharing programz means nothing. people are getting caught because they SHARE files, not download them. so if you use a program like this then turn off sharing.

FalconGuy016
01-07-2004, 03:20 PM
I thought the RIAA wasnt allowed to randomly sue people anymore.

impostal22
01-07-2004, 04:09 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2003-12-19-riaa-loses-court_x.htm

highlights:
Before Friday, the RIAA could secure names of suspected file-swappers from Internet service providers. But a federal court ruled ISPs no longer have to automatically provide that information — and that the RIAA has to make a case before a judge to get the name.

SlipknotX556
01-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Just dont share the files, thats what I do.

OR

Get all the songs and stuff you want, just delete the program and keep the files.

KornKamp02
01-07-2004, 04:30 PM
What if I have a file-sharing thing, and I have stuff that I DLed off it, BUT, I don't download anymore?? Because I ahd Kazzaa and I deleted it and still have the files I downloaded and I just downloaded Shareazza (a not-as-well known title) and I downloaded a couple stuff off taht and I just stopped.

Kevmaster
01-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by KornKamp02
What if I have a file-sharing thing, and I have stuff that I DLed off it, BUT, I don't download anymore?? Because I ahd Kazzaa and I deleted it and still have the files I downloaded and I just downloaded Shareazza (a not-as-well known title) and I downloaded a couple stuff off taht and I just stopped.

technically, you are guilty of copyright infringement, however the RIAA has no method of tracking you down. They'll never know you did it, but technically you did do something illegal

logamus
01-07-2004, 06:36 PM
or you can always move your dl'ed file after you dl it so there is nothing in that folder to share. the riaa doesnt care about the user, just the giver.

i wonder if the war on drugs had that approach, where would that war be today?

phantomhitman
01-07-2004, 08:26 PM
you should be cool unless you are sharing files. like some1 said before, you can drag those files out of your share folder also. also, share a za and all of the cloens as just as well known. there is only one file sharing prgram that is almost impossible to track no matter what. ill never tell..........:D

Digits
01-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by phantomhitman
you should be cool unless you are sharing files. like some1 said before, you can drag those files out of your share folder also. also, share a za and all of the cloens as just as well known. there is only one file sharing prgram that is almost impossible to track no matter what. ill never tell..........:D

mirc?

phantomhitman
01-07-2004, 09:32 PM
bingo!! i was going to say it but people do track the net looking for people to say what i was going to say. it took me a long time to really "get into" the mirc, so I am not telling how i did it. however, there are a lot of channels that let new people in and help them out. but they are nothing compared to the people who are really into it with their own servers, t3 based ftps, and endless amounts of info, at least this is what i hear.... good luck on yoru mirc visit to any1 who tries.

Digits
01-07-2004, 09:34 PM
ya mirc is good.. I got Windows 2000 off it.. I forgot how to work it though lol.. It wasn't that complicated I just searched the forums at the site I got the info from and it says how to set it up and everything.. It's way better then kazaa or anything..

mikey101
01-07-2004, 09:52 PM
my bro had the first 14 seasons of the simpsons on his ftp site and a little bit ago Fox network found out. They contacted his isp and got his ftp site shut down. His university also shut him down a year earlier because he had an unreleased mad caddies cd..no fines or anything, just threats..heh

Mateo
01-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Yeah I wanted to use mirc but I dont know how:( But from what I learned its a whole lot better than kazaa. What are the advantageous/disadvantageous of mirc and ftp.

platinumjason
01-07-2004, 10:39 PM
So if I understand this right, the RIAA is pretty much only looking for users who share files, but dont care so much about those who download them correct?

Digits
01-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Mateo
Yeah I wanted to use mirc but I dont know how:( But from what I learned its a whole lot better than kazaa. What are the advantageous/disadvantageous of mirc and ftp.

with mirc you download iso's and and bin files and burn them onto a cd.. So it's basically like owning the program, with the cd, thats what I like about it..

impostal22
01-07-2004, 10:59 PM
EVERYONE ASKING QUESTIONS- this is important info, so listen up..

Yeah I wanted to use mirc but I dont know how But from what I learned its a whole lot better than kazaa. What are the advantageous/disadvantageous of mirc and ftp.

do NOT use mirc. EVERYONE thinks it's safe..yet it's almost as unsafe as kazaa, if not more unsafe now with the new restrictions. why? because the RIAA actually plants agents into mirc channels. so you sign on (sharing stuff presumably), the mirc agent sees you're sharing, goes to download something from you and BAM copyright infringement. he keeps doing it, more counts of it. this has happened multiple times, so BE WARY. i wouldn't trust mirc any more than anything else. in fact, i'm scared to use mirc whilst i'm not afraid to use kazaa.

Originally posted by logamus
or you can always move your dl'ed file after you dl it so there is nothing in that folder to share. the riaa doesnt care about the user, just the giver.

i wonder if the war on drugs had that approach, where would that war be today?

rumor has it they're also gonna start getting the downloaders, not JUST the uploaders. interestingly enough, i once talked to a state assemblyman about the war on drugs and he thought the drug dealers should stop being punished and all the drug USERS should be thrown in jail. he was incredibly hypocritical on so many points..how i love him..anyway..

Fixion
01-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Mateo

Advantages of IRC file sharing (er... downloading):
Alot faster if you know the right places to DL from.
Que lines aren't too bad.
There is alot of new stuff.
There is a TON of stuff (if you know where to look).

Try BitTorrent if you don't want to learn how to use IRC.

do NOT use mirc. EVERYONE thinks it's safe..yet it's almost as unsafe as kazaa, if not more unsafe now with the new restrictions. why? because the RIAA actually plants agents into mirc channels. so you sign on (sharing stuff presumably), the mirc agent sees you're sharing, goes to download something from you and BAM copyright infringement. he keeps doing it, more counts of it. this has happened multiple times, so BE WARY. i wouldn't trust mirc any more than anything else. in fact, i'm scared to use mirc whilst i'm not afraid to use kazaa.

And that is why I use an out of the country mirror :D. Problems solved! Like that I don't have to keep my computer on to download ;). The admin of the mirror/server that I use is a good friend, there is no way that he or his ISP would cooperate with the MPAA or the RIAA (he hates them). Oh yea, did I mention the 3 MEGAbytes/second is nice?

phantomhitman
01-07-2004, 11:15 PM
great points impostal. but if you read the files from most mirc channels and their fservers and ftps it is clear that they are not "sharing" and it is their files. people that get busted on the mirc are SERVERS not downloaders. and they are very very hard to try and convict of anything because of the measures needed to download from them. they are also private channels and ftps that will NEVER be found because they rely on the friends spreading the word, not a nation of mp3 downloaders. i have already said too much, but the mirc is not as bad as you think.

however, people need to face the facts. if you like an artist, program, or movie jsut go buy it. you are only helping them out. even if the studio takes most of the money it only makes it harder to get things illegally when the studio feels the choke hold of the net.

phantomhitman
01-07-2004, 11:33 PM
also other points that fixion says are great (that was not yet posted when i started typing). the key is where to look and who you know.

RT pRo AuToMaG
01-09-2004, 12:11 AM
I'll feel bad for 'aquiring' music when the record producers are living in the ghetto making 15k a year.