PDA

View Full Version : Anyone put an Evil Omen through its paces?

rkjunior303
01-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Been thinking about a new marker as of late since I've been out of the game now for about 2 years and I've been considering a Evil Omen to go along with the Mag that I use....

Has anyone really put it through the paces? I know it's still relatively new -- how reliable is it? Any major problems? Consistent? I'm really not looking for an insane BPS or anything, I just want a solid electro that I can be happy with. I want to start playing more consistently (maybe once a month or twice a month, nothing crazy) and the price seems attractive.

Thoughts? Anyone? I've done a search and read most that's been posted but I haven't really found a real review.

Thanks!

lyer
01-08-2004, 09:28 AM
I personally haven't shot one, but i've talked with a guy at my field about his. He said he had a lot of trouble calibrating the anti chop wheel/flap/thingy. Apparently he bought his when they first came out, and PMI has done a lot of tweaking since then. I've heard positive things about PMI customer service as well. From what i understand, if you're looking for a high-ish end, lower cost gun, and don't mind doing a bit of fiddling, this is a pretty good gun.

Athius
01-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Well i dont have one but i dry shot it. The omen is pretty fast and the trigger has this sweet spot thing that when u find it, it will go full auto but this is tourny illegal. It uses a return spring which maybe it wont let the gun pass from 15 bps but i dunno. And when u get it u have to tinker with the velocity and the cocking of the gun.

I was gonna buy the omen but well i bought a b2k3 w/ pds instead.

For more info go to the evil forum at www.pbnation.com

paint magnet
01-08-2004, 09:37 AM
For something similar in the price range, I'd reccommend a BKO w/ PDS. It is a more tried and true design and there are a lot more accessories available.

Mindflux
01-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by paint magnet
For something similar in the price range, I'd reccommend a BKO w/ PDS. It is a more tried and true design and there are a lot more accessories available.

BKO's with PDS are more like 550+ for 2k4. You can thank smart parts for that.

To keep it on topic. I really wanted an omen prior to discovering the automags site. There are problems with the cam feed and force feed loaders (no halos you guys!). Although I have heard that Evil Tech support is top notch. Just make sure you pick one up with the black(magnesium) trigger and the red rear block. These are indications of the more revised Omens coming out of the factory now.

*edit: not to mention several people who sell Omen's on PBNation will willingly call them hyped up spyders. It's a blowback with some cool ideas on put on it.

rkjunior303
01-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Well, my whole idea behind getting an Omen came when I was considering buying a cocker. I have always shot a mag and never really played with a cocker, I thought i'd be fun to tinker with over the winter.. If I'm going to spend $2-300 on a cocker, why not spend a lil more on a Omen, ya know?

paint magnet
01-08-2004, 11:36 AM
As for the price range thing, I was thinking more along the lines of a closeout 2k3 BKO.

Athius
01-08-2004, 03:03 PM
What about the dragunfly it doesnt look that bad and it is cheap. I know it doesnt come with a reg but in ebay they sell them in a package that comes with a reg.

tony3
01-08-2004, 04:15 PM
I have tried an omen, lcd dragun fly, and a bko, the omen wins. It is alittle more work then all of them, but they rip insanely fast. The dragun fly was terrible, i could shoot a nice mech cocker faster then that

tyrion2323
01-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Okay - forget all the people who've heard about Omens. I OWN an omen, and I can tell you that it is a wonderful marker. For the price (you can get them for $350 used), this gun is almost unbeatable. The operation is very much similar to an Autococker, but also resembles a Spyder as well. It's light, fast, and the trigger is great. The trigger design (very original) helps to keep the trigger as close to the frame as possible, and the switch is very light and small. The operation is very simple, which makes it easy to work on (Spyder and 'Cocker mix, basically)

In terms of the "difficulties," this marker is simple. As long as you read the instructions , you should be fine. Yes, you need to adjust the recock when you set the velocity - but this allows you to fine tune the kick down to its minimal amount. Other than that, the marker is about as easy as pie. The cam feed system (two paddles which push the ball fully into the chamber between each shot) is PMI/Evil's version of the L10 (mechanical anti-chop)

Anyways, the Omen is a sick marker. Would I compare it with an Angel/Timmy/Viking? Nope. Would I compare it with an e-Bladed Autococker, a Bushy, or a Shocker? Yes! The speed is currently capped at 15bps, I believe, but you can upgrade and get an uncapped PDP board.

Peace man,

Also consider:
Dragun TES
Hybrid Numatix

(Those are my sponsors!)

Jacob

rkjunior303
01-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Nice, thanks for the information man.. Vermont, eh? I'll be in Killington this weekend.. Can't wait to try some boarding and hit the Pickle Barrel.

paint magnet
01-08-2004, 07:49 PM
No, a feeding device is not at all like level 10. You may be correct in that it can reduce/eliminate chopped balls but it does nothing to reduce the force of the bolt on the ball should it come in contact with it while it is not fully in the chamber.

And the part about the Spyder/Cocker mix analogy is what scares me. Combining two of what have proven to be the most unreliable markers (don't get me wrong, Cockers are reliable once you get everything set up and loctited) just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Just my .02

03vert
01-08-2004, 08:18 PM
i wouldnt buy a dragun fly only because its a HUGE focker. a focker is a cocker with a body not made by wgp therefore not a real cocker,or fake cocker.

tyrion2323
01-08-2004, 08:27 PM
[No, a feeding device is not at all like level 10]
The LX is a mechanical anti-chop system. The Cam is a mechanical anti-chop system. I never said that they operated similarly.
[And the part about the Spyder/Cocker mix analogy is what scares me. Combining two of what have proven to be the most unreliable markers]
What sort of Spyders have you used?!?! You could run a Spyder over with a tank and it would still operate. You can submerge Spyders in the water (mech, of course) and they'll operate just fine. The bottom tube (sear/striker) is a lot like a Spyder, and the top bolt and back bolt operate more like a Cocker.

paint magnet
01-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Oookay, let's take a blowback marker (Spyder, for instance), now let's cut production cost by having it assembled in Taiwan, now throw quality control out the window by changing the size of the parts/ threading of screws every month or so. And while we're at it why not add on a gas thru foregrip and call it a whole new marker?

paint magnet
01-09-2004, 10:12 AM
And if the Cam feed is an anti-chop device and not a feeding device, why is it called a Cam operated feeder ?:rolleyes:

paintball boy 20
01-09-2004, 11:49 AM
i have owned an omen and the cam feed is a feeding device and antichop device. When the bolt goest back two fingers come out, one hits the ball into the chamber and the other stops double feeds. hence the offset feed tube. The omen will not chop unless ur recock is set too high or u have huge and/or ****ty paint. The omen is a closed bolt stacked tube blowback. I like the design but it had a little too much kick and i personally didn't like teh trigger.

bunkermaster10
01-09-2004, 12:36 PM
The only Omen I shot was horrible. Something was wrong with it and it kicked it choped really really bad. It was pretty fast though and I like the looks of it. I say get it if you read up on it more. I would also recommend buying a pulse or a bushy instead.