PDA

View Full Version : Oh Brother!! Another Leak "?"

MidnightRider
01-10-2004, 03:57 PM
As the subject says "another leak question". The leak is where the Macro fitting is threaded into my xvalve. I have heard that you don't want to use plumber tape on fittings and I figured especially the one directly into the valve.

So what do you do? Is there anything out there that people have found that can be used safely?

Thanks in advance.

MR

p.s. I tried the search button and sheesh there are a lot of leak questions. Not much help for this question.

purplemag
01-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Where did you hear don't use plumbers tape? I use it, I know people who use it, everyone uses it I thought??? As long as you wrap it correctly and not over the input hole for the air, so it doesn't make a bubble and pop! But it should be perfectly fine. I guess you could use blue loctite but it is way more permanent!

purplemag
01-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Oh and I forgot on the safety thing...Macroline is inherently UNSAFE!!! So why worry about plumbers tape!!! I switched to SS hose after my macroline blew up on me! And that was with only 800 input pressure!!! Go SS, too many horror stories out there on macroline.

MidnightRider
01-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Just want to say that just after posting this thread I went back to searching again. I came up with another word to search for and *presto* there was the post with my answer.

Sorry to anybody who took the time to read this. For anybody else who might be asking the same question.... this thread did the trick.

Thread sealing? (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115745&highlight=thread+wrap)

purplemag
01-10-2004, 04:15 PM
If done correctly there is no real way for plumbers tape to get into the airstream in a gun. Gives a great seal, easier, no waiting...hmmm? And like that other thread said, with any type of loctite, you have a much LARGER CHANCE the substance will be introduced into the air system. I don't care how many people say it won't harden and harm the gun, no way for me on normal fittings, especially going into the valve. Plumbers tape is the way to go, can someone please back this up!

fire1811
01-10-2004, 09:41 PM
i use teflon tape all the time just make sure you dont put it on the last couple of threads and you will be fine

MidnightRider
01-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I will give the tape a try. I just wasn't interested in screwing up a new x-valve.:D

Peace.

MR

abunkerer
01-13-2004, 02:25 AM
yeah I have used teflon tape too, but I have heard that it can break off and get in the reg/valve, causing lots of problems. Some of the airsmiths say that many of the guns sent to them have the teflon tape clogging up areas in the reg/valve, once that is cleaned out the gun is fine.
They use blue locktite to seal their threads.