PDA

View Full Version : "Short nose" level 7 bolts?

paint magnet
01-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Well, I've heard the level 7 bolt called a "long nose foamie" bolt, and I wondered if I could get a short nose one. I have an old fixed barrel micromag with a Benchmark single trigger frame and the old style sear (identical to the one shown in the mag video), and when I install my level 7 classic valve, the bolt protrudes slightly into the chamber. I don't know if this is going to cause problems or not as I have not really had a chance to play with the gun. I use the same valve in my .68 Automag (pfhl ss body) and when I look into the chamber I can't see the front of the bolt, or can see less of the bolt, depending on the angle. Also, when installing the valve on the micro, it seems to fit slightly farther up. I was wondering if maybe the level 6 valve were a tad shorter or something, and this is the reason for the difference.

I might be over reacting and this might not cause problems at all, but I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to make the bolt sit a little farther back in the chamber? (approx 1/16" or so) Would replacing the sear with the new AM/MM one help?

Thanks in advance for any help.

athomas
01-11-2004, 11:08 AM
The original foamy bolts were a tad shorter than the newer long nose bolts. Not ever seeing one of the fixed barrel micromags, I can't comment on their build. It could very well be that the feed port does feed the gun closer to the valve. If this is so, then yo may be correct and need a shorter bolt.

paint magnet
01-12-2004, 09:38 AM
The longnose level 7 bolt I have in there now seems to allow balls to fit in the chamber fine, but it may hinder feed rate. Also, I have only tried dropping the balls in one at a time with the powerfeed removed (I need a new screw that holds it on) so I can't comment on rates of fire above one shot per second.

However, it definately won't work with a foamie on the bolt (I have no foamie on there now), and I would at least like to have the option of using one. Anyone know where I could get a different bolt? I would call AGD but seeing as how they don't make the Micro Mag body/rail I doubt there is much they would/can do. And I can't call PTP because
1.) Their customer service sucks
and 2.) These haven't been made since...um...1994 or so? I'm not sure about the date but I know PTP has long since switched to removable cocker threads.

Anyone have any suggestions? Would a level 6 or 6.5 valve/powertube/bolt assembly be slightly shorter?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

*edit* athomas, do you know if the shorter bolts are still made?

Evil1
01-13-2004, 03:26 AM
Did you ever think of getting the LX kit? It is definitely worth it.

paint magnet
01-13-2004, 09:54 AM
No. I have tried level 10 and for me at least it did not justify the extra 70 bucks, as I rarely chop with my level 7 bolt/Classic valve when using my .68 AutoMag. I am currently swapping this valve out between my two setups (.68 mag and Micro Mag) since I only have one valve. The only way I'll get level ten is if it happens to come with the valve when I can afford to buy another one.

Also, I believe the bolts are the same length, the main difference other than the anti-chop, is that the LX bolt has a recessed face, so that when the foamie is attached it doesn't add any length to the bolt.

I will admit sticking your finger in the breech is cool though :) (I can do that with level 7 too, it just hurts a LOT more :D )

abunkerer
01-13-2004, 11:45 AM
I dont think that you will have a problem using the long nose style bolts with the older mags, however...
I have a couple old bolts. They are from my AUTOMAG68, bought in 1994. one is the stock bolt and one is a venturi style (a.n.s). both are in great condition, 20 and 25$ shipped. interested? LMK

cphilip
01-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Yes... the bolts were the same overall length at the nose. The longer outer collar was developed to reduce blow back. Later a Foamy was placed into the nose of it. Mattered little really. But in the center they are both the same length.

paint magnet
01-15-2004, 09:47 AM
So putting in a shortnose bolt will do nothing except increase blowback (shouldn't be much of an issue with a powerfed marker)?

Abunker- I definately don't want the ANS bolt, and I'm not sure if the shortnose bolt will solve my problems. I'll let you know.

cphilip
01-15-2004, 10:02 AM
The blow back was even more an issue before power feeds. It was more an issue for the old standard feeds. We know a little blow back is good. It keeps the balls lose in the stack. And now we got some positive pressure feeding loaders too. So its not so much an issue anymore. The only thing I noticed was more broken detentes with the longer collared bolt. But plastic detentes quickly eliminated that issue as well. You can use either and probably will not see much difference. Best thing to do is go to Level 10 and its lighter bolt really though. You know thats the REAL solution to your problem. I think thats justifiable. I can give you a nice deal on one. Email me.

However you really should check your Power feed plug. Is it aligned correctly with the bottom lip of the body where the ball drops in? Is it a parabolic plug? Those sorts of things.

paint magnet
01-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Yes, it is the old style PF plug. I need to send it in to AGD and get it swapped out for a new one. But that's not the issue right now, because I haven't been using the powerfeed on the gun (I need to go to the hardware store and pick up a 6-32 allen head screw to hold the powerfeed on )it simply looks like the bolt is protruding farther into the chamber than it should be.

Level 10 won't solve my problems as I don't have a valve to put it on yet ;) With the upcoming CFOA season, most of my funds are being diverted into buying team jerseys and stuff for my main markers so it may be a while.

cphilip
01-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by paint magnet
Level 10 won't solve my problems as I don't have a valve to put it on yet ;)

So your saying you do not have a valve at all? then how do you have a bolt in there?

paint magnet
01-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by paint magnet
I have tried level 10 and for me at least it did not justify the extra 70 bucks, as I rarely chop with my level 7 bolt/Classic valve when using my .68 AutoMag. I am currently swapping this valve out between my two setups (.68 mag and Micro Mag) since I only have one valve.

Sorry, I guess it was kind of confusing. I have a Classic level 7 valve in my .68 'mag, which I popped into the Micro to test it.

However, when my setup is complete,I'll have a valve for each gun. The valve in the .68 Mag is staying as level 7, and I'm not sure about the one I'm going to get for the Micro. It may be LX or LVII, as it doesn't make much difference to me.