PDA

View Full Version : Which mask?

edman282
01-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Ok, guys. I have glasses and i currently own a pmi mask which typicly fogs up my glasses because of bad ventelation i guess. So which mask would you recomend for a person with glasses.

thanks

trevorjk
01-11-2004, 11:16 PM
jt axium fx 10 !!! awesome mask just gotta wear the strap a little higher buts great

PissedGodzilla
01-11-2004, 11:19 PM
well, I have glasses, and I use invision goggles. The invision goggles don't fog up practically at all, but I still had problems with my glasses fogging up. Tomorrow I am getting the fan for the invisions and it really looks like it will work perfectly. The vents on the top of the mask will give much better ventilation witht he fan... I will let you know tomorrow night, but so far I think it is the best solution out there... It's gonna cost $$ though, because the mask itself is 60-65 and the fan i got for 40 bucks. I'll keep you posted.

$tevo
01-11-2004, 11:35 PM
profiler..hands down

elpimpo
01-11-2004, 11:38 PM
flex 7 all the way

SpecialBlend2786
01-11-2004, 11:57 PM
If you have glasses, probably the best thing to do against fogging is to get a goggle system that has some sort of fan, like the JT's or the invisions. it doesn't matter if you have thermal lenses if your glasses keep fogging

elpimpo
01-12-2004, 12:04 AM
the problem with fans is that they are hard to hear other people

SpecialBlend2786
01-12-2004, 12:12 AM
thats why you only turn them on when you need them.

The new dye fans are actually pretty quiet though.

trevorjk
01-12-2004, 12:28 AM
just get new eyes

Athius
01-12-2004, 01:38 AM
I use glasses i have a JT one but u gotta cut some plastic for the glasses to fit or well get the laser eye correction operation like i will do in a week.:D

No more glasses or contacts that idea is really great for me.

sps16
01-12-2004, 01:49 AM
buy a profiler, i just bought one, haven't got it yet but i dont think it will let me down

wageslave
01-12-2004, 09:12 AM
I personally recommend the V-Force Morph. It's very comfortable, has great visibility, and it's never fogged up on me.

Jonesie
01-12-2004, 09:16 AM
Save yourself money in the long-run by spending a little more now. Get Lasec (sp) surgery and ditch the glasses! ;)

I use JT Spectras (Flex7, Proteus, whatever) and they don't fog. Plus, you can get a fan to keep those glasses clear!

Sparq
01-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Get contacts or laser surgery...I know a few people who wear glasses normally, and just have a set of contacts for paintball.

Otherwise, I used Raven NVX with my old glasses and it seemed fine. Try before you buy though - the front touches some people's noses, and the foam has a nasty habit of coming unglued (though the foam itself is very nice).

bunkermaster10
01-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Save ur money and buy contacts :D .

Sir_Brass
01-12-2004, 12:20 PM
actually, if you need an expensive prescription for your glasses, a mask that will fit your glasses is less expensive than getting contacts made for your prescription.

I HAVE to wear glasses, else I'll not be able to see anything, and contacts are an expense that is fairly unnecessary since I can work with my glasses fairly well when playing pball.

I use a JT Proteus II Chameleon without the visor. I have had ZERO problems with it fogging up in games. A few times, my glasses would begin to fog, but not so badly that I couldn't see, and when the ref allowed us to take our masks off, I simply wiped my glasses clean with the underside of my shirt (the side that didn't have paint residue and dirt all over it), wiped out any streaks and I was good to go.

Also, if you can do this, build a mask fan for the proteus as well. I recommend a computer fan, since it runs quietly and is small and is able to move air around a decent amount. When you run it, have it suck the air out, that way the moist air causing the fogging will be sucked out, and the condesation will clear up. It'll take a little bit of home modding, but it is well worth it.

However, you don't really NEED to use the fan, as the proteus ventilates VERY WELL when you don't have the visor on. However, if you play in wetter conditions than I do, there will be times when you'll need the visor to keep water from dripping through the ventilation, and it's that visor that negates the ventilation that works so well against fogging, so that's when a fan would be very beneficial.

Tobe2be
01-12-2004, 12:41 PM
i got the profilers on friday and used them on sunay. great mask i like it a lil better than my invision for the simple fact that the lense can clean with just a lil bit of water. my invision is great but it just lacks air flow compared to the profiler. anyways i agree with trevorjk just get new eyes. there arent that expensive on the black market

fire1811
01-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by elpimpo
flex 7 all the way

ditto

fallout11
01-12-2004, 02:17 PM
I'll second the recommendation for the V-force Morph.

I have glasses, and wear the Morph almost continuously for 24-hour scenario games.

It still fogs a little under certain conditions (raining, or hot, foggy mornings, etc.), but it's the best of 8 different kinds I've tried.

I'd also consider trying the Profiler, if you have the money.
It's the "newest" mask from V-Force, and is very similar to the Morph (same lens, same locking mechanism, etc.)

SN0BL1ND
01-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Ever try No-Fog spray on the glasses? Works for me for about 8 hours...:cool:

Mindflux
01-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Profiler without a doubt.

Nick O time
01-12-2004, 03:53 PM
i haven't tried my profilers with glasses yet, but they are the most comfortable things i have ever worn and never ever fog up. i will have to see if they fog up with my glasses on and stuff. but i love my profiler and highly suggest it.

edman282
01-12-2004, 04:07 PM
thanks a lot guys. and no im not gett lasac surgery...yet
2500 :eek: oh yeah and the surgery wears off after about 20-30 years too.

Sir_Brass
01-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by edman282
thanks a lot guys. and no im not gett lasac surgery...yet
2500 :eek: oh yeah and the surgery wears off after about 20-30 years too.

um, I don't think so. where'd you hear that little bit of (mis)information?

I've been dealing with eye doctors and surgery options for YEARS, and never have I heard that lasac surgery was not completely permanent.

NJPaint
01-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Brass

um, I don't think so. where'd you hear that little bit of (mis)information?

I've been dealing with eye doctors and surgery options for YEARS, and never have I heard that lasac surgery was not completely permanent.

your eyes keep changing even if you correct them

fallout11
01-13-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by NJPaint

your eyes keep changing even if you correct them

Absolutely correct.
I know half a dozen people who've had the lasik/lasek surgery (there is actually a difference between the two), and have looked at it seriously for myself.

Each eye is permanently "fixed", but to a given focal range.
People with bifocals, for instance, have one eye set for close range (reading), and one for long range (distance).

It takes quite a bit to get used to the change, and your vision is never "perfect".
In addition, every few years, as your eyes change, you have to go have it done again to a lesser degree, as a sort of "tune-up".

After about 10 years, you're back to where you started, needing the whole operation again. More so if you're young (less than 20), because your eyes are changing more rapidly.
Most optomitrists won't even recommend the surgery to people until they hit their mid 20's.
Plus, although the cost is coming down, it's still expensive.
And there are sometimes complications. In rare instances, your vision can be ruined for life.
I decided that it wasn't for me.

cledford
01-13-2004, 07:30 AM
OK, First off I'm recommending the Dye Invisions as the best mask I've tried - although I only have experience with the JT Spectra and previous JT mask. Second, the fan isn't going to cut it all of the way for the glasses. I've got a fan on the Spectra and the glasses still fog, they just unfog quicker with the fan. Anti-Fog is a necessity - although the only real solution in my book is to wear contacts.

On the Lasik thing, it can ruin your eyes for life. Dry eyes (to the extent that you cannot wear contacts ever again) is a VERY common side affect. Also, halos, night vision degradation, and "star bursts" around lights at night are very common as well. The contact thing is really bad because you *may* still need some correction - and before lasik you could get that with contacts, after you can be doomed to a life of glasses - NOT a good choice as a life long user of both. Finally, lasik is really only good for near sighted people - people with far-sightedness are basically screwed.

All in all, I've kept tabs on it for a number of years. Even though I can afford it at this point I'm waiting for at least 2-3 years more for things to continue to mature. I should point out that I'm farsighted so that has some bearing. With near-sight they can guarantee perfect 20/20 or better, with far-sight it's a crap shoot on what they achieve. For right now the risks aren't enough to gamble based on the lack of gains. The screwed up night vision and dry eyes are like 50/50 odds - those are very debilitating issues.

-Calvin

Sir_Brass
01-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Finally, lasik is really only good for near sighted people

And alot of people (including myself) are QUITE near sighted. I HAVE to wear my glasses, else I can't see a darn thing clearly when I'm playing pball.