PDA

View Full Version : Delrin Level 10 Bolt

tyrion2323
01-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Hi guys,
Here's a question for you:
Would it be possibly to make a Level 10 Bolt out of Delrin material? This would lighten the weight, which would lower the amount of air needed to push the bolt, resulting in better gas efficiency. Is this possible?

Jacob

adam shannon
01-13-2004, 03:09 AM
agd did it, it was delrin wedded to a metal bolt base...and from what i understand had a breaking problem and never made it past the prototype phase. the delrin and metal construction was needed to ease wear on an all delrin design when the sear cought the lip of the bolt.

anyways it didnt work and tom has stated that the weight of that prototype is about the same as the new LX bolt...so theres no need to mess around with delrin anymore.

Miscue
01-13-2004, 03:32 AM
Urm... I don't think AGD will bloody likely use delrin ever again. The LX Superbolt II is the replacement for the Superbolt I delrin bolt, which sucked.

LaW
01-13-2004, 03:56 AM
If someone wants a delrin superbolt... you can buy the one I have for like 500 dollars??? ;) hehe

Anyhow... been there, done that. Had 2 of them and one of them is intact and I am keeping just to have as a collectable ;)

cphilip
01-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by tyrion2323
Hi guys,
Here's a question for you:
Would it be possibly to make a Level 10 Bolt out of Delrin material? This would lighten the weight, which would lower the amount of air needed to push the bolt, resulting in better gas efficiency. Is this possible?

Jacob

Actually to make it strong enough would probably NOT lighten the wieght. It would have to be rather beefy in Dieldrin to handle the knocking around it gets. Really trimming down metal one like is in the current one gets you the strongest lightest mag bolt. And you actually even now have one of the lightest if not THE lightest bolt on the marker with the level 10 bolt as it is. And its not dependent on weight what air it takes to operate the marker. The weight of the bolt has nothing to do with it really.

lamby
01-28-2004, 04:23 AM
old thread, neat concept..

If you want a faster stronger bolt make it out of titanium alloy (pure titanium would be too brittle for a bolt) I would not want to be the one dropping the ching for this though as machining titanium alloys is ALOT harder than aluminum. I wonder if the bolt is THE effecency problem with the mags hummmmmm........ delrin bolts make a huge difference in cockers so I think there is something to this.

robdamanii
01-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Interesting thought. Perhaps a titanium bolt would also be of interest?

SlartyBartFast
01-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by lamby
I wonder if the bolt is THE effecency problem with the mags hummmmmm........ delrin bolts make a huge difference in cockers so I think there is something to this.

Does delrin make a difference in efficiency in Cockers? Or is this just another of those accepted myths in paintball?

The major reason mags can't use a tank of air to the bottom and require the input pressure they do is the bolt spring. Similar to any blow back. Once input pressure is too low, the marker can no longer function. Just with blowbacks they go run away, and Mags stop shooting.

But as with so much else in paintball all talk of efficiency is just so much hypothesis. Nobody has posted any type of testing as to how many useful shots you can get with various markers with various setups.

You'll find that many who complain about efficiency are using short barrels with lots of porting.;)

Butterfingers
01-28-2004, 09:53 AM
nooo... About 5 years ago some company made a titanium alloy bolt. Even with the titanium alloyed the hardened and coated Automag Sears Would Chip and eat away at the titanium. Its just too brittle for the shear action of the hardened and coated automag sears.

If you want somthing to last forever there is nothing that compares to steel.

Delrin... forget it... it wouldent last the chrono period before the game before being eaten. Delrin is just a fancy name for nylon there really isnt anything too special its plastic. Its cheaper to make... so they use it and market it as the best thing ever... so people dont even realize they are being raked over the coals. Delrin... not cause its better cause it costs less and you pay more...

Given that titanium isnt that much lighter than stainless it wont be worth the cost...

Its the fact that you can make it so thin have it still be strong that gives weight reduction on stuff manufactured with titatnium. If you made the SB to the same dimsnsions using titanium you wouldent know.

It will do NOTHING to effect efficency if you want to improve efficency the bolt weight it the least of your worries. Its the HUGE L10 spring that does the most damage you are pushing against POUNDS not the 1oz of the current superbolt.

SlartyBartFast
01-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Butterfingers
Its the HUGE L10 spring that does the most damage you are pushing against POUNDS not the 1oz of the current superbolt.

Butterfingers agrees with me. :D

For more discussion on the bolt spring, refer to the threads on pneumatic mags...

As for efficiency discussions, show me the facts please. :p Just like videos or chronograph data on bps, proof of efficiency is pretty thin on the ground.

But tinkering with such a fundamental part of the Mag’s operation is no easy task.

1stdeadeye
01-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Miscue
Urm... I don't think AGD will bloody likely use delrin ever again. The LX Superbolt II is the replacement for the Superbolt I delrin bolt, which sucked.

Sucked?

It shot out through the barrel?:eek:

hitech
01-28-2004, 04:57 PM
If you are interested in how to make the 'mag more efficient then read this. (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114323) All will be revealed. ;)

thei3ug
01-28-2004, 05:35 PM
i really wish someone would start making spacers again.

lamby
01-29-2004, 03:11 AM
The delrin cocker bolt does not make it more efficent persay. What it does is allow you to run at a lower LPR pressure because of the lower mass that the ram has to move (compound this with a lighter main spring, and now you are pinching paint with no loss in air efficency. So the cycling is more effecient, not the shooting (that is based on many factors like hammer weight, input pressures and the like.)

That and Delrin will wear faster than your breech. it is easier and cheaper to replace a bolt than a body