PDA

View Full Version : Bill could soon be 'Lord' Clinton

Zygote
01-13-2004, 09:22 AM
from Reuters:

"LONDON. Former President Bill Clinton has been suggested for what is considered to be Britain's oldest military honor, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, a post which can be traced back to 1226.
If he is selected to succeed the last warden, the Queen Mother, who died in 2002, he would be technically responsible for repelling an invasion of the southeast coast of England."

ShooterJM
01-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Forgive me a cruel chuckle..........

heheheehehehehe

Albinonewt
01-13-2004, 11:07 AM
I too will chuckle

Cryer
01-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Albinonewt
I too will chuckle
And, I, third...

*ahem*

teeheehee

graycie
01-13-2004, 11:51 AM
ha! it will never happen

cphilip
01-13-2004, 11:58 AM
I'd prolly just throw up.

Cryer
01-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
I'd prolly just throw up.

Originally posted by Zygote
from Reuters:...If he is selected to succeed the last warden... he would be technically responsible for repelling an invasion of the southeast coast of England."
I'd invade England...

Sir_Brass
01-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Those poor poor brits. I feel sorry for them, having one of their politicians degrade such an old title by giving it to that adulterous sleezebag.

Zygote
01-13-2004, 02:09 PM
If its been passed down through the royal family then I'm sure its already been through a couple adulterous sleezebags.

I thought only native Englishmen could receive titles. Did they change that at some point?

Albinonewt
01-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Zygote
I thought only native Englishmen could receive titles. Did they change that at some point?

Yes and no.

To my knowledge some are open to everyone and some are not.

I don't really remember which ones though. There's so many.

p8ntball1016
01-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Albinonewt

Yes and no.

To my knowledge some are open to everyone and some are not.

I don't really remember which ones though. There's so many. I think that anyone can recieve a title, but you can only be called by it if you are a British Citizen.

ShooterJM
01-13-2004, 03:29 PM
Don't you have to make walmer castle your official residence if you get it?

member#10,261
01-13-2004, 04:39 PM
If Bill gets it...

I'm going to grab my 9
Steel a boat
and Invade England via the southeast coast

Come on...none of them have guns (no first ammendment)
and becides...its BILL

1stdeadeye
01-13-2004, 04:51 PM
ROFL!!!

In event of invasion, Bill would fly to Russia, smoke pot and protest it!:p

Jeffy-CanCon
01-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Brass
Those poor poor brits. I feel sorry for them, having one of their politicians degrade such an old title by giving it to that adulterous sleezebag.

I gotta agree with that. :mad: Sure, I bet some of the previous hlders of hat post were sleazebags, but at least they would have been BRITISH sleazebags. Giving such an honour to a foreigner is shameful. IMO, it would be a slap in the face to both Brits and Yanks alike.

SFAIK, most British titles are "available" to anyone. catholics in the Royal family being the one exception that comes to mind. BUT, whether or not the title would be recognized or permitted in your own country is another question. Gen. Schwarzkopf was knighted after Gulf War 1, but doesn't get called "Sir Norman" in the USA. Canadian newspaper magnate Conrad Black was given a peerage (made a Baronet) a few years ago, but our Prime Minister refused to let him accept it. So Black renounced his Canadian citizenship and moved to England. He is now Lord Black of Crossharbour.

Lohman446
01-14-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Jeffy-CanCon

I gotta agree with that. :mad: Sure, I bet some of the previous hlders of hat post were sleazebags, but at least they would have been BRITISH sleazebags. Giving such an honour to a foreigner is shameful. IMO, it would be a slap in the face to both Brits and Yanks alike.

SFAIK, most British titles are "available" to anyone. catholics in the Royal family being the one exception that comes to mind. BUT, whether or not the title would be recognized or permitted in your own country is another question. Gen. Schwarzkopf was knighted after Gulf War 1, but doesn't get called "Sir Norman" in the USA. Canadian newspaper magnate Conrad Black was given a peerage (made a Baronet) a few years ago, but our Prime Minister refused to let him accept it. So Black renounced his Canadian citizenship and moved to England. He is now Lord Black of Crossharbour.

Maybe Bill will renounce his citizenship and move to England :)

hardr0ck68
01-14-2004, 03:30 AM
ahhh Bill clinton, the only man in the last 24+ years i would be proud of as president, im glad he could have a chance to broaden the horizens of those around the world.

and if he gets a lil on the side in the process...GOOD FOR HIM, lord its only humpping...:rolleyes: his wife is the deffination of frosty. but yeah, so hes married, big friggin deal...Bill i hope you get more tang than a moon walk!! and i personally will not marrie any womenz who is aginst some off day humppin...self imposed castration is not my idea of fun, or natural.

the only thing i regret about billy boys career is the boming of other nations and so on... keeping with the status quoe of American imperialism...sigh

hardr0ck68
01-14-2004, 03:31 AM
PS...to everyone who says "i would invade" you all must be republicans, you boys want to invade everyone/thing

Albinonewt
01-14-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Lohman446
Maybe Bill will renounce his citizenship

I thought he already had

Albinonewt
01-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by hardr0ck68
the only thing i regret about billy boys career is the boming of other nations and so on... keeping with the status quoe of American imperialism...sigh

Besides bomb "sovereign" nations what else did he do?

Really nothing. He failed in North Korea. Failed in Palestine. Raised taxes, then was bullied by congress into lowering them again. And bombed some countries. The man's 8 years really didn't accomplish anything.

ShooterJM
01-14-2004, 09:22 AM
ahhh Bill clinton, the only man in the last 24+ years i would be proud of as president, im glad he could have a chance to broaden the horizens of those around the world.

Well. Um. I guess everyone is a hero to SOMEONE.

Rebel46_99
01-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Jeffy-CanCon

SFAIK, most British titles are "available" to anyone. catholics in the Royal family being the one exception that comes to mind. BUT, whether or not the title would be recognized or permitted in your own country is another question. Gen. Schwarzkopf was knighted after Gulf War 1, but doesn't get called "Sir Norman" in the USA.

This is true. Almost anyone can be "Knighted". However, only those of British citizenship may use the title, "Sir" or "Lady".

DW

logamus
01-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by member#10,261
none of them have guns (no first ammendment)
or even the second ammendment. ;)

while the brits are all busy with this, why not go ahead and knight jimmy carter too.

ScatterPlot
01-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by member#10,261
If Bill gets it...

I'm going to grab my 9
Steel a boat
and Invade England via the southeast coast

Come on...none of them have guns (no first ammendment)
and becides...its BILL

Originally posted by Cryer

I'd invade England...

That's what I was thinkin:D :D :D

1stdeadeye
01-14-2004, 10:31 PM
and if he gets a lil on the side in the process...GOOD FOR HIM, lord its only humpping...:rolleyes: his wife is the deffination of frosty. but yeah, so hes married, big friggin deal...Bill i hope you get more tang than a moon walk!! and i personally will not marrie any womenz who is aginst some off day humppin...self imposed castration is not my idea of fun, or natural.

It wasn't tang, it was a hummer. Get it straight!:p

But hell if you are going for something on the side and you are the most powerful man in the world, do't you think he could have done better then Monica and Paula! Jeez!:rolleyes:

Ov3rmind
01-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Bill Clinton is my frickin' hero.

ShooterJM
01-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye
But hell if you are going for something on the side and you are the most powerful man in the world, do't you think he could have done better then Monica and Paula! Jeez!:rolleyes:

Yeah, look at kennedy! He got quality! :D

hardr0ck68
01-15-2004, 01:28 PM
i really dont understand people who dont like humpin.....are they really human?? Yeah, and after 10+ years of marrage if you havent found the need for action on the side your either gay or dead.

and i will correct my earlier statment....i hope billy gets more hummers than in all of Iraq if thats what the man wants!!

Albinonewt
01-15-2004, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hardr0ck68
i really dont understand people who dont like humpin.....are they really human?? Yeah, and after 10+ years of marrage if you havent found the need for action on the side your either gay or dead.

Or faithful. There's always the outside possibility that you're just committed to the person you married.

And I don't care that Bill ran around a little. I care that he lied about it to a grand jury. I don't even care that he lied in general (who wants to tell their wife they committed adultry?)

I care about the Grand Jury.

than205
01-15-2004, 09:34 PM
I care that we wasted how many millions of dollars to find out what we already knew.