PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Footwear

Whisky
09-10-2001, 06:37 AM
My wife bought me a nice pair of soccer shoes to play paintball, i was just wondering if it is a good choice. Cause there have not much ancle support but all the rest is great.She bought the best quality she could find.
What do you think about this.?
What do you wear.?

Load SM5
09-10-2001, 06:40 AM
Nike high top cleats

cphilip
09-10-2001, 06:56 AM
I should think for grass they would work just fine. I use Football cleats. Or actually a cleated shoe called "all purpose". But I should think Soccer cleats would work just fine. However I prefer a Mid to High top to protect me from turning my ankle. But any cleat has gotta be better than tennis shoes.

martlet1
09-10-2001, 07:31 AM
I use Nike ACG (all conditions gear) mid tops. They come with a tread on the bottom similar to an off road tire. When you see the shoes on the rack they have little tips on the bottom of them. They work great, and then when you get them muddy or get all the old ball sludge on them they just go under the hose and they are perfect after drying.

DaXtremeist
09-10-2001, 07:53 AM
i used soccer cleats once before....... like 4 years ago... but i will NEVER again... they gripped the ground wonderfully but when i was running i was shot in the back of my leg and i went to turn but my right ankle stayed facing forward... since im used to twisting on my toes to turn quickly resulting in a severe sprain the doc said i couldn't play paintball for a year for my ankle to heal i lasted 3 months without paintball then had to play : )

just my opinion about any cleats

TheTramp
09-10-2001, 08:30 AM
If you play mostly speedball then soccer cleats are great. It you go into the woods or rough ground something with a little more ankle support would be good.

Gambit1106
09-10-2001, 09:04 AM
I wear work boots for ankle support. My doc told me I was lucky I had them on when I broke my ankle, or I would have been in a cast longe rthan the 5 weeks I was. Now I have another 6 to 8 weeks of rehab. Get something with ankle support it will pay off.

Darren

mykroft
09-10-2001, 10:01 AM
I use high-top Mountain Biking shoes, specifically cannondales. They have good grips, and a very stiff sole, with excellent support.

MagDog68
09-10-2001, 10:07 AM
I am way to cheap to pay for Nike sneakers if I am gonna run around in Mud and paint all day. Try Payless for some hightops or boots.

I picked up a pair or Stanley (yes, the tool company) Steeltoe Hiking boots with a great tread for $25. They were great for scenario and wood play where a misstep costs your ligaments dearly.

~Fred

ben_JD
09-10-2001, 10:20 AM
You can get a really good high-top Nike football cleat (called the Land Shark Hi) for under $30 at many sporting goods stores. These offer quite a bit of ankle support and excellent grip. These, I feel, are the best choice for those of us who never know if we are going to be on the speedball course or the wooded fields.

Of course, you can spend more and get a higher quality leather or interchangeable cleats (good for rocky situations where the cleat will wear more quickly), but for the best bang-per-buck, I like the entry-level football cleats.

lonelymag
09-10-2001, 11:01 AM
The DIGGERS Team often plays at my field so a bunch of guys i see use those. They are paintball specific shoes, and everyone seems to love em. Personally i hate wearing cleats at my field, its too dry and the ground is way too hard for cleats but that is probably unsual.

slayer
09-10-2001, 01:03 PM
I wear danner mountain hunting boots for playing in the woods. They are heavy, hold your ankles like a cast, and have a vicious tread pattern. For speedball I play in crosstrainer sneakers(pretty worn on the bottom...lower traction, but alot lighter than my boots :) ) and for indoor I used an old pair of low top hiking shoes with a moderately agressive tread.

Snap_Dogg
09-10-2001, 03:54 PM
i used soccer cleats saterday they worked fine but i normally use my football cleats

MajorDamage
09-10-2001, 04:55 PM
I used to wear these nike boots, but those wore out (holes... stinky boots) so now I wear these K-Mart shoes! They are just like black tennis shoes or somin. They work.

ENDO!

thehead
09-10-2001, 06:34 PM
I've always been a fan of soccer cleats for playing in. I turned my ankle once when I first started using them (mostly because I was just an idiot), but other than that, I've never had any problems - It's just a matter of not being a clumsy oaf.. do some stretches and exercises and you should be fine. They're really light, so when it comes to sprinting for the flag or anything along those lines, they're not going to weigh you down. They are a pair of Copa Mundials that I use to play soccer in as well, and I've never had any problems with them in the mud. They were made to last.

irbodden
09-10-2001, 06:48 PM
It depends if your used to them, I used to play soccer, fall-spring and winter, so I am pretty used to soccer cleats.

2000Sabre
09-10-2001, 06:48 PM
I use Digger Cleats. They're a mid top shoe so they provide ankle support and the bottom uses a cleat similar to a football cleat. They're also light weight so it doesn't feel like you're running with lead weights on your feet all day. I like them but I think any mid or high top shoe will work. I think it's more personal preference than anything.

Dubstar112
09-10-2001, 06:56 PM
i wear Osiris Skateboard shoes, they have an agressive toe traction that makes the mud days even muddier~

RobAGD
09-10-2001, 07:04 PM
I just got a new set of Reebok DMX soccer cleats with a mid ankle and they are about the best feeling cleats I have ever wone, next to my old Tanels.

And as an added bonus they look mondo cool :) and have a lot of side padding.

-Robert

Minimag4me
09-10-2001, 07:16 PM
Tactical Combat boots. They provide great ankle support and grip(not as good as cleats but I deal with it). They are also heavier than cleats and most other shoes except maybe steel toed.

a_malfunction
09-10-2001, 08:40 PM
I used to wear my soccer cleats..... but now I have some diggers.... I love them...

ang310fd347h
09-10-2001, 09:06 PM
I sport a nice black pair of converse all stars (old school ones) and with these thing I CAN FLY!!!!. I am a little paintball fairy with these things i flot around like its nothing

Halliday
09-10-2001, 09:32 PM
I have a pair of Mack Steel-toe boots I wear for paintball. I got them when I worked in a warehouse, but they work great for paintball. I love my big black boots!

polorboy
09-10-2001, 11:24 PM
I use mountain hiking/work boots to play in. That way I don't worry about getting them destroyed while I am playing.

Eagle
09-11-2001, 11:33 AM
I wear a pair of Bates Enforcer jump boots, with the zipper on the side.

Whisky
09-11-2001, 12:52 PM
I had the soccer shoes change for football shoes. these a very confortable.

MENACE
09-11-2001, 10:00 PM
When I first started playing, we played in jungle type terrain and I wore combat boots - durable, good traction, sturdy support and a little heavy.
We moved around a bit and played in different terrains. I've switched to high top football cleats - good ankle support, great traction and light on the run.
There are a lot of great deals on line and a number of companies function as clearing houses to distribute large quantites of products for the big name companies. Check out Eastbay (I shop there) They're quite affordable.
Good Luck.

squall
09-11-2001, 10:19 PM
I have some nice, patent leather, lace up bowling shoes :)

Cardinal_Biggles
09-12-2001, 12:08 AM
I find Army surplus Gator boots to work wonders in the wet climate of Washington, but I have seeen many people play with cleats.

Ball Buster
09-15-2001, 01:14 PM
I wear a pair of Nike Metal Cleeted baseball cleets.. I only wear them because I wore them in baseball and figured why buy new shoe's.. :) They work nicely... But, I only play wooded rec ball and speed ball..

InfinatyBPS
09-15-2001, 07:51 PM
I perfer Lugz, I use my old ripped up ones. there comfortable, rugged, good ancle support, and have some good texture on the bottom to keep good traction. I learned never wear skating shoes(completely flat sole) on a muddy feild.

Miscue
09-15-2001, 08:36 PM
I've been using turf cleats. They worked pretty well indoors with carpet, outdoors in the desert, and in woods games with dirt. Also not that heavy.