PDA

View Full Version : Check this cool Hawk out!

Mango
01-14-2004, 02:28 PM
I shall name him (it's a male).... Henry. Henry the Hawk.

It's a Coopers Hawk to be exact.

He was just chillen in my backyard this morning around 8am. Stayed there for almost an hour. Then flew away when I tried to slowly open the door to get a better picture.

The pic is kinda crappy I know. I had to take it through two sliding glass doors and it was kind of far away.

Cryer
01-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Awesome, dude.

I was sitting on the back porch one day watching some squirrels play when one was carried away by some sort of Raptor... It was amazing!:D

cphilip
01-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Did you know that Tom Kayes Father was a Falconer as a hobby and also wrote some books on the subject?

Little known fact.

Here is some links

Falconry Uncommon (SD) By: Kotsiopoulos, George (http://www.hancockhouse.com/products/falunc.htm)

And this:

PR Highlights: The History of the Sport of Falconry.

PHOTO Highlights: 12 Colour Plates of Ancient Chinese Description

Description: Once a sport enjoyed by ancient kings, falconry has been around for centuries and is delighting in a renaissance around the world. Believing much can be learned from ancient and medieval writings, author George Kotsiopoulos has assembled a collection of texts and pieces of art pertaining to this fascinating sport. Accompanying the text are beautiful illustrations that range form 300 to 700 years in age. The art is from a never-before-seen Japanese manuscript for the Awa No Kuni Bunko Library that existed about 300 years ago.

Publication Date: 1999
Language: ENG

And

Falconry Uncommon (SD) - Author Info

Author Biography:

George Kotsiopoulos has been a devotee of falconry for more than fifty years. He has one of the world's most extensive and excellent collections on the subject and is an authority on the ancient art.

http://www.hancockhouse.com/products/product_images//FalUnc4.jpg

Thats George with one of his falcons

He also wrote "The art and sport of falconry", Publ.: Argonaut
Year & place: 1969 Chicago

But you cannot find that one as its listed this way "*** * * *8vo, 140 pp. Scarce."

There is one mention of another book but I cannot lay my hands on it for certain as to that it exists for certain.

Matt_mg
01-14-2004, 03:12 PM
I heard there were some reports of humans attacked by raports, more often at paintball fields too! :p
http://www.bigfoot-paintball.com/image/5_boutique/12/gun_raptor2.jpg

btw nice pic trough 2 lides of glass! Really nice shot for the conditions :p

graycie
01-14-2004, 04:16 PM
i saw a hawk yesterday flying outside my house, first i heard its screech and saw it eyeballing my cat in the driveway. i told it to go away and not eat my cat, so it flew down the street looking for food.

cphilip
01-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Hawk... no not really but if you do some research on Great Horned Owls you will find House Cat listed as one of its main dietary intakes.....

Cryer
01-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
...Tom Kayes Father...Kotsiopoulos, George...:confused:
Is Tom's last name really "Kaye", or has he been referred to as "Tom K." so much it stuck? (because "K" is shorter than "Kotsiopoulos")

FalconGuy016
01-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Cryer
:confused:
Is Tom's last name really "Kaye", or has he been referred to as "Tom K." so much it stuck? (because "K" is shorter than "Kotsiopoulos")

Yes, its really Kotsiopoulos :)

Muzikman
01-14-2004, 05:20 PM
His real name is Kotsiopoulos. If you look up all his patents, that is the name you will find.

graycie
01-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Hawk... no not really but if you do some research on Great Horned Owls you will find House Cat listed as one of its main dietary intakes.....

i know it wasn't going to eat my cat after it took a good look at it from straight above and realized she wasn't a rodent. otherwise i don't think there are any great horned owls in my area, just smaller brown colored ones.

1stdeadeye
01-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Okay, you run to National and pick up some black shell midnight. Next time he is around, you light him up with the X-Mag and film it. It can be your independent "Black Hawk Down":eek: :D

At least here is proof Jersey does have wildlife!:D

jwren00
01-15-2004, 02:53 AM
My uncle is a master falconer. I was into falconry a few years back. I was going to become an apprentice, but it just never happened. He used to go and catch pigeons in downtown Denver, and then he would go to a big field and tie them into little leather coats that he made. Then you attach the pigeon with a long piece of rope to a stake in the ground. They can still fly around and stuff, they just can't go anywhere.

Then he would take out his bird, he had a gyrfalcon or something, and it would circle very high above until he signaled it to come down, and it would bomb straight towards the ground and explode the pigeon on impact. He hardly ever missed.

This is just how he trained his birds. He would go to nebraska and stuff to go hunting with them. Falcony is the sport of kings, it is so awesome, but it takes up most of your time and money to take care of such an awesome bird.

jwren00
01-15-2004, 02:58 AM
gyrfalcon:

Warewolf50
01-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Not very fair for the pigeon , bt sounds really cool. Does anyone else rember that vid of randy jonson pitching and a bird flew out infront of the ball, that was classic.

Jack_Dubious
01-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye
It can be your independent "Black Hawk Down":eek: :D

*GROAN* :D

Anyways hawks are cool...except one type of hawk....

http://conservativetruth.org/opinionet/archives2/ccjm/images/oct25a-01.jpg

:p