PDA

View Full Version : To Twist Lock or Not To Twistlock . . . . That is the question.

CoolHand
01-14-2004, 06:16 PM
OK, I am toying with the idea of doing a completely aftermarket rail for mags, and I have a question that only you all (the consuming public) can answer.

Should this rail have a twist lock?

It will use Classic sears, so naturally I though it should have the twist lock hole too. But then I wondered - How many of you would really want that twist lock anyway?

So now is your big chance, vote in the poll, and tell me if I should stay with the rectangular body locating pocket and the twist lock, or if I should abandon the old bodies, and make them only accept the round locating pin, and delete the twist lock all together.

Vote Please.

:D

logamus
01-14-2004, 06:20 PM
off with the twist lock!!!

Creative Mayhem
01-14-2004, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure... I like the SS body just as much as the ULE, but it would depend on the design of the rail I guess. Any design ideas in mind?

CoolHand
01-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Yeah, they will be very similar to the shape I am currently cutting into stock rails. The big difference is the extrusion they start from will look different to begin with, so the final shape will be a little different as well.

Different for the better hopefully. :p

Thanks for your input.

ERut
01-14-2004, 06:58 PM
I like the twist lock. What I don't like is paying ten extra dollars for barrels that I can't use with anything else. I think within a couple years, everything will have cocker threads.

coolcatpete
01-14-2004, 07:21 PM
You can always take the twist lock off, but if it not on there what will the non ule guys do, so why not keep it on. I have a ULE but we cant leave every body else in the dust.
Pete

thecavemankevin
01-14-2004, 07:25 PM
why not drill the hole for the twist lock, but just not sell the rail with the actual twist lock (sorta like the omega rails).

that way you allow the non ULE guys to be able to purchase one form AGD and still put it in there.

CoolHand
01-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by thecavemankevin
why not drill the hole for the twist lock, but just not sell the rail with the actual twist lock (sorta like the omega rails).

that way you allow the non ULE guys to be able to purchase one form AGD and still put it in there.

I tend to lean this way, as it does not entail much more machine work, and allows everyone to use them.

Unless there is a great outcry not to have that hole there at all (its covered by the frame anyway), I think this is what I will do.

jayloo
01-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Support form AGD and 3rd party folks has severly diminished. Follow the trend and and ditch the twist-lock.

Personally I favored the twist but heyy what can I do. Make my own barrels and twist ule bodies?

smilestyler
01-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Used twist locks should be easy to find from everyone who bought a ULE body, I agree with milling in the hole but not providing the part.:)

Chojin Man
01-15-2004, 01:07 AM
What about milling the hole then charging $5-10 if the cust wants the twist lock pieces.

Hexis
01-15-2004, 01:37 AM
Leave the space for it, but call it an upgrade rail, and leave the part out. They can pull it from an existing rail, or buy one from AGD if they actually need it. No reason to make the rail only compatible with ULE bodies.

Strider
01-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Love my twist!

Torbo
01-15-2004, 03:37 PM
twist lock is super-gay. Everything should be cocker threaded and will be in a few years anyway.

punkncat
01-15-2004, 03:41 PM
I say down with the twist lock.
I think the idea is great.It makes cleaning a barrel SUPER easy.
The problem is that many aftermarket barrel manufacturers don't think its too cool and don't make barrels w/ the TL.
Cocker threads seem to be what everyone is either going to , or makes adapters/bodies available for.An industry standard would be great.

RRfireblade
01-15-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm long past the twist lock,even though I did like it in it's day.But I'd never build another custom mag w/ an SS body so OFF WITH IT!! I say.

CoolHand
01-15-2004, 06:14 PM
OK, here is what I think I'm going to do:

I will leave the twist lock hole, and use the rectangular locating pocket. I will not supply the twist lock though. If you want one, you can get it from AGD, or me (for a little extra).

Overall I think this serves everyone the best. The guys who like the SS bodies can still use them, and the guys who what to go ULE can. And since I'm removing material for the hole, the rail ends up being that much lighter. :D

Anyway, if this turns anyone off, please post with an explainantion why. I am always glad to accomodate people, I just want to cover as many as I can with one option.

Thanks for your input guys, as always its a great help.