PDA

View Full Version : GREAT way to measure .001"

MisterJiggyFly
01-14-2004, 10:33 PM
I have no clue if this has been posted or not, but for anyone concerned about having to take small measurements accurately, I have come up with a simple and easy solution.

I tried measuring my on/off pin with a basic caliper, and it came out .110" inches too long :eek: . So then I thought of this meathod to measure small things such as an on/off pin with accuracy to the nearest .001".

I used PhotoShop (almost any paint/graphics program will do) and created a new canvas .XXX" by .XXX". I then filled the background with black. Next I.... printed it out! :p

Voila! Now you have a nice little mat that you can set the item on to measure it. I guess it really only works for sizing something, not exactly measuring it. :D

I'm so clever I surprise even myself :)

Demobilized
01-15-2004, 01:03 AM
But at that small of a measurement if the printer is off, or it smears, you could be measuring the wrong thing.

tranman
01-15-2004, 02:14 AM
There is no way you can really measure to .001" because the human eye wouldn't be able to see EXACTLY if the edge of the object met with the edge of the printout. Plus as was stated above, no one claims that a printer can print to .001" specifications.

Rick927
01-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Just buy a dial caliper, www.use-enco.com, and you will have the right tool for the job. The economy class one is fine for what you are doing.

MisterJiggyFly
01-15-2004, 08:18 PM
I know you can't see the difference between .751" and .750" however it's pretty easy to make out to the nearest .01". And yes, the printer can smear/bleed/etc, but again, I would use this for sizing not measuring...

Rick927
01-16-2004, 09:44 AM
I don't want to sound rude, but you posted "So then I thought of this method to measure small things such as an on/off pin with accuracy to the nearest .001". There is a big differnce in the tech area between sizing/measuring and .01/.001 I presumed from you original post that you were measuring and did not want you to go astray on a critical measurement on your marker. I would still spend the $20.00 on a dial caliper, it's a great tool for measuring and if you treat it properly, it will last many years.

argnot
01-16-2004, 11:50 AM
"Voila! Now you have a nice little mat that you can set the item on to measure it. I guess it really only works for sizing something, not exactly measuring it."
He does state at the end that it would rely only work for sizing an not measuring. I think it is a great idea for some one that needs to get a part in quick and doesn't have that ability to use calipers or know how to use em... Seriously I have had to teach tons of kids at my school how to use em. I would use calipers but in lue of them this sounds like a great method as long as your printer can deal with the size with a decent error ratio. I don't think bleeding is a big issue cause if fonts bleed you would know....aka it would be fuzzy and unclear and if it did for the aplication anything under .01 or maybe even higher wouldn't be an issue I don' t think. Thats my 2 cents. I think it was a great solution for the problem he was confronted with.

Rick927
01-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Here is a nice set of 4" digital calipers, very easy to read,with no training required, and only cost $18.00

rikkter
01-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Rick927
Here is a nice set of 4" digital calipers, very easy to read,with no training required, and only cost $18.00

andd, where did you get this?

lamby
01-17-2004, 03:35 AM
Hey, that looks like my caliper, but mine is 6" :) !!!

I got mine from the asian guy at 7-mile fair (between milwaukee and Kenosha, Wisconsin). I dont remember what I payed, but I did test it with 3 test blocks and it was accurate. I know it was less than $25 and it is as accurate as my friends $200 starret (but not certifiable in an iso9002 enviroment)

For average measuring it ROCKS!!!

Rick927
01-17-2004, 10:22 AM
I got mine at 7mile fair as well, Mr.Fan (a very nice chinese fellow) runs CDCO out of a both there on the week ends. Durring the week his business is based in IL. I will have to dig up a catalog if you want to order from him. But similar models are availible a enco, or kbc tool. I posted the link above.