PDA

View Full Version : New Teen Driving Laws?

FeelTheRT
09-10-2001, 04:11 PM
Any other state have these nonsense outrageous laws besides VA?

---New Law---

For Learner's Permit:

-Minimum age; 15 years and 6 months
-Holding period; 9 months or age 18 whichever comes first*
-Behind-the-wheel training hours; before a juv. can qualify for a licese, hi/her parents must certify that the teen has 40 hours of behind-the-wheel traning experience, at least 10 of which must be after sunset
-Passenger limits; no more than one passenger under age 18
-curfew; learner's permit holders may not operate a motor vehicle between midnight and 4:00 a.m.

Driver's License:

-Age of applicant; 16 years and 3 months*
-Passenger limits; 16-year-olds many not carry more than one passenger under age 18. 17-year-olds may not carry more than three passengers under age 18.
-Curfew; Licensed drivers under age 18 may not drive between midnight and 4:00 a.m.

Now tell me these laws rn't crazy . . .

Arturus
09-10-2001, 04:20 PM
I'll be honest and say they made it 'sound' a bit complicated.

Other than that, I think laws on teens driving should be more restricted and held to a higher standard.

*gets ready to be flamed by every teen in the forum*

Wait until you gain a few years and you'll see my reasoning. :p

Army
09-10-2001, 04:30 PM
Sounds good to me.

65% of fatal car wrecks are caused by, or involve minors (NHSB sources). Reason is; minors do NOT have the skills, that are learned over time, to handle a vehicle in an emergency situation.

You may be thinking "hey, I can drive good! I'll show you buddy....." BUZZZZZZZ wrong answer. Minors also do not have the emotional control that comes with age and experience. I can dare/bet/scare you into a race in a heartbeat, but you will turn blue trying to get me to go fast for no reason other than ego.

Alcohol is also the number 1 killer of teen drivers. You guys just can't handle your liquor, no matter how much you brag about it. Putting a cocky teen behind the wheel unsupervised is loading the gun. Adding alcohol is cocking the hammer. Lack of knowledge and skills simply pulls the trigger.

The more new drivers that are slowly weened into driving the better. You don't have to like it, but you will grow old and get over it:cool:

wimag
09-10-2001, 06:02 PM
RT: That doesnt seem too bad. Define what part of the law you feel uncomftorable with.

FeelTheRT
09-10-2001, 06:14 PM
well for one, i have to spend 2 extra hours behind the wheel durring day and 1 extra hour durring nigh. Another thing, I can only have one passenger?? what if this guy is on the street and has just been shot and asks me to give him a ride to the hospital? what am i supposed to say? "sorry bro, i really wish i could help ya but i can't carry any more than one person, RIP". Since there will be less carpooling imagin the trafic in the area and in school parking lots. School parking lots are already crowded enough. The school is already charging like 100 bux to park on school grounds to limit the trafic but now there will be almost a 1/2 increase of trafic in the school lot.

jeez, i could have just gotten the permit before July 1st and alot of the stuff wouldn't have applied to me but nnoooo, i was too lazy :), now i suffer the conceqenses.

Ni cD
09-10-2001, 06:31 PM
Tennessee has recently passed some similar laws.

At first I didn't like them, but after I thought about it for a little while I could see that they were actually needed. Teen drivers, while a majority is good, tend to be a little on the crazy side. That and a lack of skill can cause serious injuries, and / or death.

How many times have you seen some kid pull out of a parking lot...tires squealing like a bat out of hell, windows down with super loud music pouring out of the car, his buddies sticking half way out of every window (lol), speeding around like the gangsters they aren't? I see that kinda stuff all the time around where I live...maybe its not the same way in your area. Hopefully with these new laws, this type of thing will diminish...those people annoy me, and many others. :)

As for fewer accidents, God knows I've been saved from many due to my mother or father's presence in the car with me. I appreciate the fact that I have to wait longer to get my license. For with this in mind, I know that I'll be a better driver when I'm by myself.

By the way, I'm 17...no license yet. :)

wimag
09-10-2001, 06:38 PM
sucks for you. how could you have been lazy bout getting a liscence. When i was 15 that was all i focused on, well the second thing actually.
Yeah wisconsin is getting some zany laws also with teen drivers and similar restrictions as well.
Reminds me of when they upped the drinking age, and i was fairly close to the cutoff for being granfathered into the 19 legal category but missed it so had to wait to 21 (legally).
All i know is when my twin 5 year olds get old enough to drive and the laws will force more money for an additional vehicle because of it i will start asking the state for some compensation. Bunch of old windbag, morons, who would have a hard time managing a self serve gas staion with one pump and no snacks.
Just tell your buds to duck.

shartley
09-10-2001, 06:49 PM
RT,
No offense but many of your arguments don’t hold water from a rational standpoint.. If I may:

Another thing, I can only have one passenger?? what if this guy is on the street and has just been shot and asks me to give him a ride to the hospital? what am i supposed to say? "sorry bro, i really wish i could help ya but i can't carry any more than one person, RIP".

Come on… you can’t be serious about that one. Arguments like that only help support keeping kids OUT from behind the wheel. That is a common sense issue, not a Law one. And if you can’t see that, then maybe you don’t have the common sense to drive anyway? PLEASE this is NOT a flame, it is light hearted but to the point.

Since there will be less carpooling imagin the trafic in the area and in school parking lots. School parking lots are already crowded enough. The school is already charging like 100 bux to park on school grounds to limit the trafic but now there will be almost a 1/2 increase of trafic in the school lot

What is up with THIS? Ever hear of a School Bus? Driving a car to school is a privilege not a RIGHT. In fact, guess what… Driving at all is a privilege for ALL ages. And to make the argument of carpooling and SCHOOL in the same sentence… LOL They charge to park your car at the school? Be glad they even allow it.

Driving for teenagers (unless they are on a farm) is in most cases a way to get around for FUN. Their cars are TOYS, not tools. And teenagers tend not to look at things the same way older folks do. This is just a fact of life (as others have said here). And Army gave some statistics that you should pay attention to. It takes an average of 7 years before people reach the proficiency level of the average driver on the road. Add to that the habits and tendencies of teens, and you get a dangerous combination.

We are not slamming you, but please take a look at the facts, not just your WANTS. And please try using more rational arguing points, it will help your case much more than the ones you DID use. (Let me guess, I sound like your parent now? LOL)

thehead
09-10-2001, 06:57 PM
Do teens really need to drive THAT bad? Really, I made it all the way through high school and two years of college without a car, so I'm sure there's someone else out there who can. Learn to ride a bike to school (and be healthy, yeah!), walk with friends, take the bus (ok, maybe not), etc. You'll survive the changes, I promise.

Head

TamaPlaya
09-10-2001, 07:03 PM
As much as I hate to agree with Army, being 16 myself... but hes right... I dont trust other people my age, driving skills... I've been ridding with them, and they'd just slam on the breaks for no reason, except that they thought they where going too fast... I tell them to just slow down next time.. no need to lock up the breaks when your only going 15 mph. over the speed limit.. simple things like these, can prove fatal at times. Sure, I wish things where like before, but, I believe it is safer this way, and a smart thing to do.

Ni cD
09-10-2001, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by TamaPlaya
As much as I hate to agree with Army, being 16 myself... but hes right... I dont trust other people my age, driving skills... I've been ridding with them, and they'd just slam on the breaks for no reason, except that they thought they where going too fast... I tell them to just slow down next time.. no need to lock up the breaks when your only going 15 mph. over the speed limit.. simple things like these, can prove fatal at times. Sure, I wish things where like before, but, I believe it is safer this way, and a smart thing to do.

Exactly!!!

*My short post for the day* :D

MajorDamage
09-10-2001, 07:34 PM
In Tennessee they are similar. you can be 15 and get a permit, 16 and get a license but have to have a parent say youve had I think its 50 hours driving time, and have to have had a permit for at least 3 months. When you get the license you cant drive with more than one person under the age of 21 unless someone OVER 21 is in the car. No driving between 11 and 6 A.M. unless for school, work, or you are hunting or fishing and have hunting and fishing licenses. You also must have a permission slip from a parent to do the driving between those times. You can drive siblings to school tho. You get a regular license at age 17. I think thats about it.

ENDO!

ShinyGuy
09-10-2001, 07:49 PM
To respond to what Army said; it isn't true that young drivers cause a larger percentage of accidents. Inexperienced drivers cause them. Someone who gets his licence at 16 is less likely to have an accident in his first 2 years of driving than someone who first gets his licence at 25 or 30. Age and experience give one better judgement and more skill, however, youth makes one more observant and gives one better reflexes.

As far as alcohol goes, a drunk driver of any age is an extreem hazard and ,while it's true the people in the 16-25 age range may drink more recklessly than their elders, it is a completely seperate problem. It need to be solved not by restricting the driving freedoms of all minors but with better education about drinking responsibly.

Regarding the current laws, I agree completely with the restrictions on a learners permit. You don't have a licence. The only reason you're on the road at all is because there isn't any batter way to learn. The restrictions on drivers under age 18 are much more questionable. These people are less experienced and some restrictions are reasonable, however, they should apply to all new drivers not just those under 18. The real crime is that these restrictions have only been placed on the citizens who can't vote.

Magadeth
09-10-2001, 08:32 PM
Personnaly I think that the age you can drink at should be lowered to 16, and the age you can drive at should be raised to 18. Call me silly, but I think kids should leaarn how much alchohol they can handle before they get behind the wheel. All to often I see a fatality traffic accident when someone turned 21.

Lockawam
09-10-2001, 08:53 PM
I hate this new law in Tennessee, now I gotta wait a long time until I can offroading with a bunch of my redeck friends in the back of the truck. :(

Restola
09-10-2001, 08:59 PM
thehead, i dont know what the area you live at looks like but i drive almost 40 minutes to work and 25 to college. i could not get by without my car.

i have also never been in any accident, no ticket, warning, nothing. and i have been driving for 3 years.

a lot of people are bad drivers. move the age to 18 and you'll have older inexperienced drivers. move the age to 30 and youll have even older inexperienced drivers.

is there a problem? yes. can it be fixed with more laws and regulations? maybe, but probably not. personal safety and responsiblilty is just that - personal. people need to protect themselves and drive responsibly. 'peer-pressure' is an excuse for the weak.

Flip540
09-10-2001, 09:02 PM
Here it 16 for permit and 17 for license. magadeath, that would kinda reward all the drinkers out there in a way doing underage drinking. but people like me who dont drink its kind of a punishment by having to wait 3 extra years because people dont know how to act responsible.

Major Ho
09-10-2001, 10:10 PM
I dont see whats so different about the present day laws vs 4 years ago or so when I got mine? Wat are you complaining about. Its pretty much the same and I didnt seem to mind at all. Tell you the truth the behind the wheel courses are BS and drivers ed only taught me a few things other than the good pointers our teacher told us himself. I didn't think I was ready enough to drive after the pathetic few hours behind that wheel that I had. I think the longer time you have behind the wheel with say a parent and doing short trip to the supermarket is way more useful than any of that junk that is required.
Va is one of the dumb states that still has their driving age so low. Many states have already pushed it to 18. so ha! quite whining and deal with mummy driving you to the movies :D

pharcyde
09-10-2001, 11:36 PM
There's also some restrictions in B.C. Canada

1) you take a written test and get your learners.
- with your learners you must display this red "L" sign on your vehicle and can only drive during the day with only 1 adult...only 1.
2) after 6 months you take your drivers test
- after passing you get another sign, a green "N" to display on your car, with only 1 restriction...no alcohol.
3) after 15 months you take another test
- finally sfter passing you get your real license.

Thordic
09-11-2001, 06:52 AM
Laws are worse in NJ now. It's always been permit at 16, and real license at 17. When you had your permit, you were only allowed one passenger in the car, who had to be a licensed driver with at least 3 years experience. You could only drive between sunrise and sunset, as well.

Now its get your permit at 16, with the same restrictions as above, and then at 17 you get another permit, which is slightly less restrictive, and then you get your real license at 18.

I think it affects everyone born after 1984. My brother just escaped it.

But personally, I see no need for most people to get their license at that age in most situations. I personally didn't get my license till after my first year of college. In high school, commuting by train was a better idea. Anyone out there, think of how tired the average 16-17 year old is in the morning when they wake up for school. Then compound that with a relative lack of driving experience. I don't want that on the road. Then I lived at college and didn't need a car, campus being in the middle of downtown Newark. (Hooray for the ghetto!)

The point of my rambling is don't rush a license so you can drive your girlfriend to parties or something like that. Thats only going to lead to drunk driving or something else. Wait until you actually have a legitimate need for the car.

FeelTheRT
09-11-2001, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Major Ho
quite whining and deal with mummy driving you to the movies :D

lol, i bike to the movies w/ me friends :p. I want to drive myself so i can drive to school, Microcenter, and fields myself :). My mommy gets pissed sometimes if i keep asking her to take me to a bunch of places.

klb311
09-12-2001, 03:33 PM
I think that they should do something, but I don't really see the point in raising the age. I mean, a 16 year old retard isnt going to be any better in a year, he'll just be older; experience is everything.

Miscue
09-12-2001, 05:31 PM
I know FULL WELL what a 16-18 year old driver is like. Guys especially... have the tendency to drive too fast and do stupid things. I don't exclude myself from this bunch... :) Took me a year to figure out how to lay off the gas pedal... and I can't say I'm proud of how I drove sometimes. (I'm much better now)

Those are good rules.

Shortys
09-12-2001, 06:12 PM
I think that the new virginia driving laws is the biggest <B>crock</B> the government should take them and <B>shove it</B>

Watch the language... -Miscue