PDA

View Full Version : Scratched tank should I be worried?!?!

Tron
01-16-2004, 04:51 AM
I am a bit worried about this knick I found on my flatline. I always use a cover and when I washed it today I noticed it. It's not deep and I can't see any fibers but its a rough patch and I really don't want to mess with 4500PSI. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tron

purplemag
01-16-2004, 05:10 AM
I have always heard better safe than sorry with Fiber wrapped. Best to take it to a certified Hydro place and they can tell you.

Kaiser Bob
01-16-2004, 05:15 AM
looks like its just the resin on the outside thats scratched, no big deal you should be safe :)

slushee
01-16-2004, 06:16 AM
wow .. if you saw my Air America tank bought in '95 .. u'd realize that is a minor fleash wound :)

Man .. imagine 600ish marks like that on a tank and it passed it's last hydro!

Seriously .. that kind of nick is no problem man .. maby I'll get around to taking some digi pics of my tank just to show ya what these things CAN take.

Tron
01-16-2004, 06:57 AM
Thanks. Gonna take it down to an air smith and see whats up just in case.

cphilip
01-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Yea if the fibers are not broken you fine. I would however dab it with some clear finger nail polish to keep the fibers from now being further broken. This is technicaly against the current rules to alter a tank by doing that but in this case I would do it for safetys sake and not say anything about it. Either finger nail polish (just enough to seal it no more) or a little two part epoxy. Again just enough to trap the outer fibers and protect them. Do not overdo the spot.

RRfireblade
01-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Yeah pretty much Phil.

You can get Resin/Hardner kits for $10 or less if your really concerned,and fill the gouge.That's what I'd do,but I have some on hand already.:)

Fixion
01-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Kaiser Bob
looks like its just the resin on the outside thats scratched, no big deal you should be safe :)

As long as its just the resin, and the fiber isn't unraveling or loose, its fine. Thats what they told me when I got my tank hydroed.

Fixion
01-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by slushee
wow .. if you saw my Air America tank bought in '95 .. u'd realize that is a minor fleash wound :)

Man .. imagine 600ish marks like that on a tank and it passed it's last hydro!

Seriously .. that kind of nick is no problem man .. maby I'll get around to taking some digi pics of my tank just to show ya what these things CAN take.

My AA tank has a couple of those too, its been rehydroed twice. The last hydro was november 2003, they said that the scratches/dings weren't a problem.

Ginjiroku
01-16-2004, 02:15 PM
It looks like something you shouldn't be worried about but you still should get it checked out.