PDA

View Full Version : Can I use an oxygen tank for a nitro fill station

soccer10lover
01-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Hey guys..

I have a bounch of my grandma's oxygen tanks, and I was wondering if it was possible to use them to put nitro (HPA) into them and use them as fill stations????

Thankx

soccer10lover

cphilip
01-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Well there are many problems to overcome.

First see what the rated pressure of them is. I doubt its much over 2200 psi... if its that high.

then getting a regulator to fit that you can adapt to a fill quick connect to fit your Paintball Tanks.

Then getting someone to fill them because they are for Breathing air with some higher percentage of Oxygen in it for medical use abd only for human use and they probably gonna balk at filling them with a gas that might asphyxiate someone like nitrogen. And they might even balk at even high pressure air but who knows. Mainly Because they are marked and color coded as such and they not going to want to risk it. Some of them are not even refillable and some of them MAY be rentals or loaners and really belong to the company stamped on them and only filled by that company. A lot of regulations and liabilities involved in filling medical use tanks.

So probably the answer is no on most counts.

But you could always go to your local gas place and see if they might trade you for a high pressure air tank?

Wierd-Guy
01-16-2004, 09:34 PM
NO! It can kill you. A year ago some one did that and a cigarette set it off. Blew the guy's hand off and gave hime severe burns all over his body. Talk to Madcustoms about it.

cphilip
01-16-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Wierd-Guy
NO! It can kill you. A year ago some one did that and a cigarette set it off. Blew the guy's hand off and gave hime severe burns all over his body. Talk to Madcustoms about it.

First of all he is not talking USING pure or even high Oxygen to fill Paintball tanks.... but if they did have some over 21% in them now... and they could... it would be ready to support easy combustion like you say.

BUT....he was going to have them filled with something else... that's his quesion. He was just wanting to know if he could reuse the cyclinder for some other gas. You didn't really read it all I think. He is not suggesting using Oxygen in pure form or anything like you assumed. Just reusing the tanks for something else. Totaly different answer to that. Read all the thread.

Wierd-Guy
01-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Sorry, posted to quick. Just wanted to avoid another occurance. It did happen though, talk teh Madcustoms if you don't believe me though.

cphilip
01-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Sorry, posted to quick. Just wanted to avoid another occurance. It did happen though, talk teh Madcustoms if you don't believe me though.

Oh no... I believe you. because you are right on that. Pure or high Oxygen percentage is dangerous stuff. Thats no doubt. No argument here.

Just wasn't the issue he was asking is all.

RobAGD
01-17-2004, 12:39 AM
HP Oxygen + oil = BOOM

Just so you know what happens is the the HP O2 will oxidize the oils and cause them to explose in the gun.

I have seen standard Compressed AIr have oil in the tank flash off.

You will typically find that a place filling tanks will not cross fill tank types. If its a listed O2 tank they will not fill it with N2.

But I do happen to know some EMTs that got some expired tanks and took the Flow valve off and put standard N2 regs on the HP bottles and they fill them from thier SCBA compressor. ( They did re hydro them )

so... your mileage may vary.

-Robert

shades
01-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Even if you bleed all the O2 out get them hydroed no one will fill it. heck I have two Scuba tanks and I cant get them fille dwith out a ton of hassle. Scubas are a pain they have to be hydroed every five years$$, inspected EVERY year and mine only hold 2200 psi max ea, plus if you do not want to get hassled you need a divers certification.
There are higher psi tanks but my fill station will not fit
those. I have had them for two years and have not got my money out of them yet. That is why all tanks are color coded, green= O2, red+ black=CO2, blue= NO2, Yellow= HPA, ect....

the_next_guy_
01-17-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by shades
Even if you bleed all the O2 out get them hydroed no one will fill it. heck I have two Scuba tanks and I cant get them fille dwith out a ton of hassle. Scubas are a pain they have to be hydroed every five years$$, inspected EVERY year and mine only hold 2200 psi max ea, plus if you do not want to get hassled you need a divers certification.
There are higher psi tanks but my fill station will not fit
those. I have had them for two years and have not got my money out of them yet. That is why all tanks are color coded, green= O2, red+ black=CO2, blue= NO2, Yellow= HPA, ect....
I have no problems with my scuba tanks. The shop fills them without certification because they are for paintball. Also, when I need them hydroed, I give them to the shop with $24 and I pick them up in a week. I guess it depends where you go. I guess the best advice is just to ask questions wherever you plan on getting them filled.

Lohman446
01-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by soccer10lover
Hey guys..

I have a bounch of my grandma's oxygen tanks, and I was wondering if it was possible to use them to put nitro (HPA) into them and use them as fill stations????

Thankx

soccer10lover

Possible.. maybe, I have no clue on the operating pressure of an oxygen tank

Should yuo, no, why would you play with high pressure gasses. Use tanks designed for what you are doing, modifying high pressure tanks and mixing gasses, if you don't know what you are doing (I don't) is not worth the risk.

GT
01-18-2004, 09:45 AM
hell,
forget co2 or compressed 'air' Fill your tank with this and I can gurantee you will be hte life of the party at the next event....

http://www.matheson-trigas.com/mathportal/_pdfs/products/n,s,t-Butyl%20Mercaptan%20Gas%20Mixtures.pdf

Hasty8
01-18-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by soccer10lover
Hey guys..

Thankx

soccer10lover

No, you cannot. Household Oxygen tanks do not come anywhere even close to our pressures. Maybe 35 to 80 PSIG.

Second, Nitro and HPA are two very different gases. Nitro is inert and will not burn where as HPA will burn.

Hasty8
01-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by gtrsi
hell,
forget co2 or compressed 'air' Fill your tank with this and I can gurantee you will be hte life of the party at the next event....

http://www.matheson-trigas.com/mathportal/_pdfs/products/n,s,t-Butyl%20Mercaptan%20Gas%20Mixtures.pdf

Helium, Hydrogen, Methane and Nitrogen?

One cigarette is all you need and....poof...there goes every bodies day!

-=Squid=-
01-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Hasty8

No, you cannot. Household Oxygen tanks do not come anywhere even close to our pressures. Maybe 35 to 80 PSIG.

Second, Nitro and HPA are two very different gases. Nitro is inert and will not burn where as HPA will burn. Then again, your the same guy who said we use N2O in paintball :rolleyes:

But of course, your right about the fact it wont work/pressures etc.

GT
01-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Hasty8

Helium, Hydrogen, Methane and Nitrogen?

One cigarette is all you need and....poof...there goes every bodies day!

its the mercaptans that make life fun....

11_Mile_TMaster
01-19-2004, 12:35 AM

Ha. Who says you need to light a cigarette? I use PTFE Paste to take care of leaks on my guns, since it is removable, unlike Loctite, and is a 'quick fix,' no drying appears to be necessary.

BUT, It specifically says, NO OXYGEN!

There's a reason for that. ;)