PDA

View Full Version : I got asked to be a manager, should I?

robertjuric
01-18-2004, 12:19 AM
Ive been working at McDonalds for about 7months now. Its a horrible place to work it seriously is, but in a small town, with no jobs, its the best I can do. They work around my schedules and pay pretty good. A manager just quit the other day, so they asked me if I wanted to fill, what do yall think?

hostage
01-18-2004, 12:29 AM
go for it, more responceablity more pay, what do you have to loose? Might look good on a resume later. If you've been only working their for 7 months that seems to say much about your ability to work.
=Doron

impostal22
01-18-2004, 12:39 AM
just get OUT of the fastfood business...imo.

if you really have no other options, why WOULDN'T you take up the offeR?

Big'n slo
01-18-2004, 12:41 AM
Ummm.... Do I get fries with that? :D

Just kidding, like hostage said, any chance to improve you resume, jump on it. :cool:

-Jôker-
01-18-2004, 12:46 AM
why woudnt you take it?

Chojin Man
01-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Just be prepared for: no respect from your coworkers(some not all), longer hours, slightly more pay, screaming and yelling customers who get in your face that you have to deal with, and all the free Cheeseburgers you want :cool:

robertjuric
01-18-2004, 12:57 AM
I dunno its just something that makes me feel so crappy when someone asks where do I work and I say I work at McDonalds, its almost demeaning. I dunno, Ill prob do it just for the pay, woohoo a whole $6/hr. :rolleyes:

-Tab
01-18-2004, 01:01 AM
if i were you, i'd take it. how much more will you be earning, or is the $6/hr. the amount you'll be making as manager??? kinda hope not.

go for it. you can finish up that sick mag of yours with the paychecks you'll be getting:D

impostal22
01-18-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by robertjuric
I dunno its just something that makes me feel so crappy when someone asks where do I work and I say I work at McDonalds, its almost demeaning. I dunno, Ill prob do it just for the pay, woohoo a whole $6/hr. :rolleyes:

as a manager you'd get $6/hr???????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's ridiculous!

edit- just saw your age...considering your age, be happy you have a job :P..and be happy you get a promotion..makes your resume look NICE. specially for college...

PyRo
01-18-2004, 01:12 AM
6 an hour for being a manager? That sucks.
Its pretty much been said. You get more money, but have to work longer hours, if your doing your job well there really isn't a reason why your co workers wouldn't like you. Personally I like dealing with people who start screaming because 90% of the time you can very sutally (however you spell that) make them look like an idiot, and annoy them more to the point where they just leave feeling stupid.

Zumina
01-18-2004, 01:30 AM
LOL, how much do you make now?

grw4w34
01-18-2004, 01:41 AM
$6 and hour? I love living in Cali. Minum wage just went up from 7.50 i belive it was to 8.25 i think. I know it was a big increase. At my last job at a bike store i made 8 just sitting around and fixing flats.

Chojin Man
01-18-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by grw4w34
$6 and hour? I love living in Cali. Minum wage just went up from 7.50 i belive it was to 8.25 i think. I know it was a big increase. At my last job at a bike store i made 8 just sitting around and fixing flats.

Ya but gas in Cali is like $30 a gal.;) and the Earth will randomly sucker punch you there too(earthquakes, fires, mudslides)

graycie
01-18-2004, 03:16 AM
being a manager for 6 dollars an hour is totally not worth it.

dansim
01-18-2004, 09:55 AM
you just mean a shift manager right? not a manager manager, if i went in to a resturant(all be it fast food) i would not be expecting a 17 yo store manager, needless to say as a customer, or employee i wouldnt take you seriously(but i have some athuority issues)

robertjuric
01-18-2004, 10:30 AM
I currently make 5.65, they start out at 5.50 and minimum wage here in Alabama is 5.15!!!

Its called the area manager, meaning Id basically be in charge of/responsible for what goes on around me.

I guess Ill take it, its not like I have lots of other offers jumping out at me.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
01-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by robertjuric

:eek: I get 6.50 for working at Quizno's. I'm only a 16 year old kid. (and my parents own it, but everyone gets paid 6.50 as of now)

cphilip
01-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Any Job is a good job you guys. But in my experience fast food manager positions are rediculously fraught with too much responsibility for the pay. Just another take the blame and all the headaches with very little extra compensation. But hey its still more isn't it. Ask yourself this... why did the other manager quit? Then decide. But don't be embarrased for having a job. Its not like you plan to make a carrer out of it is it? I mean you just working to have a bit of money right now. In the mean time hold your head high because you GOT A JOB. Others can demean you all they want but you do have a job. I commend you for doing so.

shartley
01-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by cphilip
Any Job is a good job you guys. But in my experience fast food manager positions are rediculously fraught with too much responsibility for the pay. Just another take the blame and all the headaches with very little extra compensation. But hey its still more isn't it. Ask yourself this... why did the other manager quit? Then decide. But don't be embarrased for having a job. Its not like you plan to make a carrer out of it is it? I mean you just working to have a bit of money right now. In the mean time hold your head high because you GOT A JOB. Others can demean you all they want but you do have a job. I commend you for doing so.
This is true.

I will also add that if an individual can handle the responsibility that comes with assistant manager/manager positions, and the pay is more… DO IT. My daughter just took her Manager’s test at the video store she works at, and has already been doing the job “unofficially” for over a year anyways. The owners want to ship her to another store of theirs that gets less traffic and make her the Manager, skipping the assistant step all together, and then after being there for a period of time have her come back to the store she is at now and manage it.

I am VERY proud of her… even if it does not pan out.

So by all means, if given the opportunity for advancement and you think you can handle it, go for it…. because someone else will if you don’t.

breg
01-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Do it for a while at least. It will look good on you reseume later in you life, and you will have a little managerial expierence.