PDA

View Full Version : Masks, How long is to long? Protection question... good Unka Phil Q

GT
01-18-2004, 11:46 PM
Let me premise this from other industries. When I used to race mountain bikes after a nasty spill or 1-2 years I would replace my helmet. Also with any eye protection there can be a “wear life” associated with certain types of uses, i.e. physical impact. Gloves used for dermal protection against chemicals also have limits as well as ceiling, one time, use factors, either the way they are designed or by chemical agents that are involved.

So my thought is that a mask can only last so long...... SO is there anything in the ASTM or ANSI standard that addresses long-term or extreme condition use with paintball PPE? Can we use any other sports, such as racquetball, as an example or create a hybrid rule for pb masks user life?

jb

Mindflux
01-18-2004, 11:49 PM
manufacturers have, atleast in the last 5 years or so recommended replacing your lens every year.. I'm assuming this just isn't for profit margin sake.

Other then that,I'd say multiple gogs would warrent a lense change.

cphilip
01-18-2004, 11:52 PM
The standard as I remember is is one year. Replace every year.

BUT!

I do not agree with that kind of arbitrary number. Its totaly dependent on exposure. UV light and any chemicals and then how many times exposed to those. I think the average guy needs to think about every two years. But technicaly its every year. Now this kinda depends on what you replace it with and how that replacement has been treated before you got it.

Any crack at all its time to do it. I replace mine every two years. I always place mine out of the sun when not in use and preferably back in the bag. And I only clean with water or mild dish detergent and water. Keeping them out of the Sunlight is the key. Use your bag or place it in a shady spot when you have it off.

Lohman446
01-19-2004, 12:23 AM
My morph lenses were replaced before every tournament I played at his year (once a month) - for the $15 or whatever for new lenses, I am not taking any chances.

I inspect my mask every morning before I play, checking for anything abnormal, will throw it away at the first sight of anything wrong.

Then again, marketing will save me here, I will buy a profiler this year, and before it is out of standard I will have something else LOL because it will be released

I have seen people using some ancient masks, these things protect your face - granted I am not concerned about a shot going through the mask anywhere but the lenses, I simply do not think one sneaking through would be that dangerous anywhere but the lenses (I don't care guys about the possibles here, it is unlikely one would sneak through a mask, and if it did, unlikely it would do any lasting damage - if one first managed to get through, and then managed to do damage, I was really unlucky). The lense I am not risking, even though my glasses would likely stop anything that woudl get through.

Tyger
01-19-2004, 02:12 AM
Wait, do you mean the GOGGLES or the face plate protective mask? As far as I know, ther's no "toss date" on the faceplates, if that's what you refer to?

-Tyger

nate2k191
01-19-2004, 03:03 AM
i bought a nice chrome/smoke lens for my jt mask and the second time i went paintballing some punk hit me from at least 20 ft away and cracked it, shoulda chrono'd that piece :/ . i figured i'd best replace it... cost me $24.00, bastard.

Lord_Whoopass
01-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by nate2k191
i bought a nice chrome/smoke lens for my jt mask and the second time i went paintballing some punk hit me from at least 20 ft away and cracked it, shoulda chrono'd that piece :/ . i figured i'd best replace it... cost me $24.00, bastard.

Yeah it broke your lense but saved your eye.. :eek: :D

cledford
01-19-2004, 08:30 AM
I seem to remember some ridiculously low number of direct impacts - like 2?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-Calvin

AzrealDarkmoonZ
01-19-2004, 09:40 AM
In the older documentation I got with my JT mask, once every year and everytime a the lens takes a direct hit.

Az

NGp8ball
01-19-2004, 09:48 AM
that would be quite often for most of us... having to replace a lense every time you got gogged there

Beemer
01-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Warning to check the lens before and after use and to
replace the lens immediately if any cracks are observed
anywhere in the lens. Warning to replace the lens immediately if the lens is subjected to a direct impact form a paintball from a distance under 10 ft.
Warning to replace the lens after it has been in use for
one year.

bought a nice chrome/smoke lens for my jt mask and the second time i went paintballing some punk hit me from at least 20 ft away and cracked it, shoulda chrono'd that piece :/ . i figured i'd best replace it... cost me $24.00, bastard.

Thats called a failure. they are tested at 325 to 400FPS at 4m

I always place mine out of the sun when not in use

Materials exposed to sunlight shall not undergo significant
loss of physical properties.

SpecialBlend2786
01-19-2004, 05:17 PM
the manual for my Vforce Shield says to replace it if you're hit from a distance of 15-20 feet or less.

FreakBaller12
01-19-2004, 05:34 PM
15-20 feet that would be a bunkering move, alot closer, i say just check the mask if u get gogged, and replace the lenses every year or 2.

Muzikman
01-19-2004, 06:11 PM
I replace masked about every year or two (Hmm..for me that's about 4 uses:)) I would replace lenses after a close hit 10-15ft sounds about right. If you get bunkered directly in the lens, I would replace them before using them the next game. The lenses are lexan and although vert duable, can and will crack and fail under extreme conditions.

A few years ago some kid at the local field was talking about this. He was talking about how he took his mask and shot it like 10 times at point blank range and it didn't break. When some of the guys were telling him he should replace his lenses he went to prove to them that the lens was fine. Took it to the chrono range, and hit the lense three times from about 2 feet away. The third one put a hole in the lens (not just cracked it). So yes, multiple direct hits can weaken the lense.

As for the mask it's self. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if a ball made it though, there isn't much that could cause too serious of an injury. I mean I have seen guys take direct shots to uncovered ears and one in the mouth back in the days when masks were uncool and everyone just wore goggles (No, I don't remember the Uvex days, but my first mask was a pair of JT Whipper Snappers:).

BajaBoy
01-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by toyotaboy12
15-20 feet that would be a bunkering move, alot closer, i say just check the mask if u get gogged, and replace the lenses every year or 2.

and if you get bunkered to just check the lenz? No there can be stress cracks that you Can Not see.

Wes Janson
01-22-2004, 01:32 AM
Newsflash: UV exposure weakens most forms of plastic, significantly. Try taking some cheap plastic toy and leaving it in the backyard for a week or two. It will first fade away entirely, and then become extremely brittle. Realistically, though, you would have to be leaving your mask on a windowsill for it to have a noticeable effect...but when it did, you likely would not enjoy the results.

and if you get bunkered to just check the lenz? No there can be stress cracks that you Can Not see.
If you put a mask on, after being thoroughly cleaned with water, and can see *no* imperfections in the lens, I would venture that there are no cracks. Any sort of flaw/crack/fracture would distort the light, and thus be visible.

Beemer
01-22-2004, 04:51 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newsflash: UV exposure weakens most forms of plastic, significantly. Try taking some cheap plastic toy and leaving it in the backyard for a week or two. It will first fade away entirely, and then become extremely brittle. Realistically, though, you would have to be leaving your mask on a windowsill for it to have a noticeable effect...but when it did, you likely would not enjoy the results.

Well guess what that is a standard of ANSI. I will look again to make sure that wasnt in refference to the face mask, but they refer to the whole thing as an EPD, Eye Protection Device. Realisticly I wont drive around with mine on the dashboard eather. Call a goggle company and ask them how they test the lens what the material is and if it is affected significantly by UV. I suspect sustained exposer is a factor but I didnt see any mention of time.

quote:

If you put a mask on, after being thoroughly cleaned with water, and can see *no* imperfections in the lens, I would venture that there are no cracks. Any sort of flaw/crack/fracture would distort the light, and thus be visible.

What about stress effects you might not see?

GT
01-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Beemer

What about stress effects you might not see?

Might be alittle harder to detect via human eye. BTW my maks is from 99-00 so reguardless this thread has cuased me to purchase a new pair.

anyone ever use the raven photochromatic lenses before?