PDA

View Full Version : What does a regulaor do

fugitive9987655
09-11-2001, 03:43 PM
I just got into paintball and i dont really know what everything is.so can u answer a question for me. what is a regulaer.

magmanpaintball
09-11-2001, 04:20 PM
it lowers the pressure of ur gun. U dont need on for a mag because it already has a regulator.

belligerant1
09-11-2001, 09:10 PM
a reg makes it more consistent over the chrono, i shoot hpa and stay w/ in about 2ofps over the chrono w/ no reg/ w/ a wgp reg i stay w/in 5fps. so they do help alot. go get one.

Army
09-11-2001, 09:41 PM
A Co2 or nitrogen tank has from 1200(Co2) to 4500 pounds of pressure per square inch, known as psi, of respective gas inside of it. Obviously you can't run over two tons of pressure straight into your gun or it would blow up. The regulator, whether it is on the tank or the gun (like an Automag), will only allow so much pressure to pass from the tank to your gun.

Automags run most ideally at 375-450 psi, so an on tank regulator will reduce the pressure leaving the tank from 4500psi, to 800-850psi. The regulator at the rear of an Automag will reduce that even further to 375-450psi.

Now, a preset tank, which does not have an adjustable regulator, but a built in regulator that is set at the factory for an industry standard on 800-850psi. This is sent to your Automag which will, of course, reduce that pressure even further to the ideal operating range.

Co2 does not have the heavy pressure that nitrogen has, so you are able to use Co2 directly into the Automags regulator, which will still take the pressure to the ideal operating range of 375-400psi. The only caveat you must recognize about Co2, is that you MUST keep the liquid Co2 out of the gun. Most guys (and gals) use an expansion chamber, which allows the liquid to boil off quickley into gas. I use an expansion chamber and a remote, which also acts like an expando, to run my Minimag with no problems at all.

Hope this helped:cool:

PyRo
09-12-2001, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by belligerant1
a reg makes it more consistent over the chrono, i shoot hpa and stay w/ in about 2fps over the chrono w/ no reg/ w/ a wgp reg i stay w/in 5fps. so they do help alot. go get one.

You stay within 2fps with no reg, and 5fps with a reg? That means either the reg is messing it up, or you have to edit your post :)
On mags a reg will not help, as you already have 2 regs (one on the gun, and one on the tank). A regulator does what it is called, it regulates. When you regulate something, you allow less to get though. In this case you are allowing less air to get though. When less air gets though, the gun get less air, therefore the more regulators you have, the less air gets though, and the more shootdown you get. In conclusion the 2 existing regs are plenty to maintain a consistent velocity.

Cha0tic
09-12-2001, 09:44 AM
the reg just basicly does not let the pressure go higher than the desired amount, which makes it consistant....

PyRo
09-12-2001, 10:24 AM
Adding a third reg DOES NOT make a mag mor consitant.

belligerant1
09-12-2001, 04:19 PM
i beg to differ, a reg does help. i've seen so myself. i wouldn't buy one it it didn't help. now that i edited my post it says correctly 20fps variance. that's too much. if you want your mag to be consistent get a reg, if not, then your gun will shoot hot on occasion and all will be messed up. everyone i know and have ever met runs a reg on their mag, my friend ran a palmers on his retro-vavle and had no problems of shootdown @ 12 bps w/ his hyperframe. so i don't wanna hear it "It gives you shootdown!" it's a lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MinimagRockin'
09-12-2001, 04:45 PM
I believe pyro was talking about if you are running hpa in which case you don't really need another reg because there is one on the tank already. If you are using co2 that's an entirely different story because the tank is not regulated so a separate reg will definately help out consistency.

MinimagRockin'
09-12-2001, 04:48 PM
I don't ever remember adding that quote at the bottom of my posts...what's going on? I kinda like it though. Maybe I did it a long time ago and forgot about it...

belligerant1
09-12-2001, 10:13 PM
i run my mag on hpa and still need a reg to keep it tight over the chrono.