PDA

View Full Version : emags and recharging

pntbawlrmz
09-11-2001, 04:29 PM
To recharge an emag at home, i read somewhere that I can get a 12 volt adapter at Radioshack, Is this true? If so, do I need any other parts, or do I just plug it into my gun? Thanks for all your help.

Load SM5
09-11-2001, 06:17 PM
Check out Bill Mills Warpig E-mag review. He tells you the exact part number to adapt your charger for wall outlets. I don't know it right of the top of my head.

Russ
09-11-2001, 06:43 PM
Radio Shack #22-501 AC to DC portable power supply $9.99

That's what I use.

RobAGD
09-12-2001, 10:54 AM
Actually avoid the AC/DC converters. Thats the biggest problem the Angels have and I am not a fan of them for the Emag.

If you are going to use a home wall outlet then use the correct device for charging.

Radio Shack #273-1779 with teh correct tip. Take you DC charger into the shop and they will help you out with getting it all set up.

This is a 12v 1500mAh transformer. Is cost $20 but its worth every penny.

-Robert

billmi
09-12-2001, 11:30 AM
That doesn't make sense Rob. Both items being discusseed are AC/DC converters and internally feature transformers to step down the voltage, and rectifiers to go from AC to DC.

The difference between the two is that Cat.#: 273-1662 costs half the price, and you can select the output voltage so it can be used for other purposes as well. Cat.#: 273-1779 has the advantage of beeing "beefier" with 1500mA vs 300mA, though from my experiences I doubt you'll a marked difference in recharge times (when compared to the 2A AKA 2,000 mA power source I usually use).

In either case, you'll need to select the proper connector tip.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

RobAGD
09-12-2001, 12:50 PM
The problem I have found with the car charger converters is they do a crappy job in current/voltage control.

Most of the LCD boards we have replaced are people that are using the are charger to wall converters.

The brick I use has yet to cause a battery problem, while I ahve killed 2 battery packs with car chargers.

As for charge time, I never made a claim about charge times :)

I am actually looking at using that transformer for powering a gang charger for doing 4 packs at a time.

:D

-Robert

billmi
09-12-2001, 01:05 PM
I think I am beginning to see things make sense.....

It seems you were referring to the the transformers WDP sells into which one can plug the Angel car lighter adapter.

The Radio Shack transformer that I listed in the review (and which it sounded like your post was saying to avoid) is not one of these, instead it is very much like the one you recommended, it just has various voltage settings (i.e. it's "universal") and a lower amperage output, and lower price tag.

Charging time difference may be there, and you didn't mention it, I was just pointing it out as one of the differences between the two adapters.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Russ
09-12-2001, 03:44 PM
The unit of which I speak, #22-501 ia a 120VAC to 12V DC "transformer" It plugs directly into the wall and has a single "cigarette lighter" socket. It puts out 1000mAh.
I'm confused about the comments...

"...In either case, you'll need to select the proper connector tip." Isn't the "tip" a male cig lighter plug?

"...Most of the LCD boards we have replaced are people that are using the are charger to wall converters." Are you refering to Angels in this comment?

The battery is disconnected from the gun, how could it affect the board?

billmi
09-12-2001, 04:03 PM
OK, I'm FINALY clued in here....... (jeeze, it took me a while :-)

I merged Russ' and Load SM5's posts in my brain, not looking up the part number Russ listed, and assuming it was 273-1662 to which Load Sm5 had referred out of my article.

All makes sense to me now.......

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Russ
10-06-2001, 08:18 PM
I found out yesterday that the 12v cig adapter actually unplugs from the E-Mags battery charger interface (the unit that goes onto the E-Mag's battery) Now I get it, "the proper tip" (light goes on in my brain :) )

So anywho, I picked up Radio Shack # 273-1776, a 12v 1000mA power adapter (just to be different!) $14.99, and the clerk @ R.S. gave me the right tip for it.

I'll keep the other unit around to charge up the Boo-Yaah eLCD's battery.

[M@g_D@ddy]
10-06-2001, 09:40 PM
"The unit of which I speak, #22-501 ia a 120VAC to 12V DC "transformer" It plugs directly into the wall and has a single "cigarette lighter" socket. It puts out 1000mAh."
is this the right one? it's reallly heavy. like $13?
:confused:

RobAGD
10-06-2001, 10:53 PM
ok

What I say to avoid is the wall adapters that let you plug in cig light type of plug for powering your charger. Those things are poopy. I know people taht use the car battery jumper box with power ports to charge there Angels and have had no board related problems. It's all about getting good clean current.

The converters I am a few others are referancing are big wall warts. The have power plugs that take a variarty of adapter plugs. You just need to get the correct plug adapter for your particular unit. In teh case of the Emags plug its a Type M I belive ( dont hold me to that ).

Ill try to get a pick of my charger set up.

-Robert

50 cal
10-07-2001, 07:53 AM
So what is the "official" AGD approved charger for the Emag. I have one coming this week and want to know what the heck to do to keep from screwing it up.:confused:

[M@g_D@ddy]
10-07-2001, 06:41 PM
ur confusing the hell out of me. i work better with pictures than words, lmao.

Russ
10-07-2001, 06:47 PM
Radio Shack has at least 4 (a 300mA, 800mA, 1000mA, and a 1500mA) 12v power supplies. They also have the 12v cig lighter socket, AC/DC transformer of which I spoke. Sometimes too many options can be confusing. Type "M" adapter plug is correct. Radio Shack gives 1 free plug with the purchase of any power supply.

AGD should ditch the cig lighter corded wire and just give a wall wart type of charging unit ;)

[M@g_D@ddy]
10-07-2001, 10:03 PM
when i turn on my e-mag, sometimes it doesn't turn on and sometimes it does. then, it works untill i pull the trigger. after that, the led gets scrambled and won't read right. is this b-cuz of the battery and charger? did it fry the board?

billmi
03-27-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by [M@g_D@ddy]
when i turn on my e-mag, sometimes it doesn't turn on and sometimes it does. then, it works untill i pull the trigger. after that, the led gets scrambled and won't read right. is this b-cuz of the battery and charger? did it fry the board?

If the board boots OK, and doesn't have a problem until you fire, I doubt the board is fried. I more likely suspect that one of the screws holding the board down is loose. The E-Mag uses a chassis ground (the grip frame is the (-) conductor). If the board is not snug to the grip frame the vibration of firing can remove power from it for just a moment. If it's a short enough moment it will not be enough to get the board to re-boot, but will be enough to scramble the data in the RAM - no permanend damage.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

[M@g_D@ddy]
03-28-2002, 10:16 AM
gotcha, that thread is like 5 months old,
but thanks for ur help anyway