PDA

View Full Version : talk to me people featherlite viking theres got to somthing bad about it

triggerman
01-19-2004, 09:38 PM
we all know the good things about it. but im tired of hearing ultra fast super air efficent. Before I spend my 1200 bucks I want to hear its cons too. I am seriously concidering getting one so please be honest. does it have dule ball detents, does it break paint, does it have much kick? let me know tell me everthing you can think about it. good and more perferable the bad things i'm gonna have to work around. also please give all personal experiances with shooting them that any one has. thanks guys(and girls)

-=Squid=-
01-19-2004, 09:39 PM
nope, nothings bad about an 04 viking, immortal, or any other viking that has "viking" in the name :D

RRfireblade
01-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Go check the various AKA boards.PBN,PBR,DarkViking etc. They have typical probs like everything else.

poolshark5226
01-19-2004, 10:02 PM
The 04's have some detent and leak problems, nothing major. Other than that, umm...it's expensive? Any Viking is an amazing gun

Miltonyz
01-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Can't speak completely for the 04's, but the other ones seemed plagued by fsdo. Mine is wierd where it is fine unless I let the gun sit aired up for a few minutes, if I do that a clearing shot is required before game begins.
Mine also kicks a bit more then I like.
The only other flaw in my eyes is it is rougher on paint then some guns. I know that I cannot shoot super fragile paint. If you have decent paint it's cool.

The gun itself is great. I have no regrets with owning mine. But it is not the flawless piece of machinery that some make it to be.

poolshark5226
01-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Ive never had FSDO or bolt stick on mine, I dont have eyes but I've never heard of any problems with em

triggerman
01-19-2004, 10:34 PM
and the rug is lifted exposing the dirt that has been swept under. ok I'm a putz what is fsdo? would you recomend it over an alias timmy?

keep em comming everone

-=Squid=-
01-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by triggerman
and the rug is lifted exposing the dirt that has been swept under. ok I'm a putz what is fsdo? would you recomend it over an alias timmy?

keep em comming everone FSDO = first shot drop off

My 04 with WAS, WAS eyes and razor trigger doesnt have this. My detents work great with my halo, it absolutely rips with was, doesnt chop with the eyes, and got roughly 2400 shots on a 68/45. Dont believe me? I can vid.

The thing is absolutely amazing. I have shot timmies, trixes, mags, emags, hypermags, cockers, 03 shockers, speeds, LCD's, you freaking name it... I ended up deciding this was the best of the best. Honestly, nothing compares to a loaded viking.

triggerman
01-19-2004, 10:47 PM
please post a vid of it shooting paint if you would. is the detent problem a halo pushing past the detends like on other guns? is it dual detents? and can you shoot brittle paint? such as evil?

headcase
01-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Honestly, I don't know where the problems on some of the Vikings are coming from. I had two (an Immortal and a PBX) and I never had a problem with either. What it comes down to is this, all markers have some problems. It just comes down to how major they are. 99% of new Viking problems are minor.

I will own another.

triggerman
01-19-2004, 11:06 PM
i agree all guns will have problems; I am just tired of hearing that vikings are perfect. I want one I just want to know what i'm working with.

-=Squid=-
01-19-2004, 11:11 PM
i agree all guns will have problems; I am just tired of hearing that vikings are perfect. I want one I just want to know what i'm working with. but they are perfect. :)

Literally, I havent had ONE TINY TINY problem yet. But as you say, its bound to happen. I havent even chopped one ball out of 4 cases.

Brennan
01-20-2004, 12:31 AM
My wife and I each shoot Vikings. In fact I need to post that pic of hers with the warpfeed set-up. Vikings are great. They're unbelievably durable (as is a Mag I might add), they're efficient, the trigger is nicely adjustable (3 set screws, switch and spring options), low maintentance, and relatively user friendly.

Are they perfect?
No.

My wife's has had a number of problems with her Viking's ram, ie, FSDO. The ACE, like and other eye system, is far from flawless.

I'm more than a bit of a gun slut, but I've found a keepeeer with my Viking, and the only gun my wife likes more is an Excal.

Me?
My next gun is a TunaMaxx.
Different is good.

But I'm definitely keeping my Crusader Viking.

Later,
B.

DementedRabbit
01-20-2004, 12:39 AM
So how do you quantify kick?

What would be a marker with little kick and what would be one with a lot of kick?

Guessing mag would be on the low end and a light blowback like a F4 would be on the high end.

Steelrat
01-20-2004, 01:12 AM
I've owned an 03 viking, and currently own an 04 viking, so I may be able to offer some insights.

The 03 was flawless. The efficiency is everything its cracked up to be, once its broken in. The 03 NEVER chopped once I put the eyes in and slapped a halo on it. The 04 has some issues with chopping small paint, but AKA knows about it and is working on it. In fact, I posted up a thread about it on PBN 2 days ago, and today I was told that they are sending out prototype bolts to fix the problem. Thats good service.

The 04 has a bit more kick than my 03 did, but the 03 had its LPR lowered. Im still waiting to finish the break-in to lower the pressure on the 04, and that should resolve the minor difference in recoil. The 04 is FAST, as anyone who shot it at AO Cal can attest to. Its also compact and much lighter than most people think the vikings are. In fact, it is actually smaller, and weighs about the same as, an X-mag. The featherlight will be even lighter.

The bad things. Well, like I mentioned before, some people are having an issue with detents and chopping, but AKA is addressing that. Also, I have a "leaky ram" which is another known issue. I am just waiting to send it in, as they already figured out that issues (manufacturing defect on the ram). Finally, the warranty only covers parts, not labor, unless you order from someone like OTE, taht covers both.

I heartily recommend them.

-=Squid=-
01-20-2004, 08:41 AM
please post a vid of it shooting paint if you would. is the detent problem a halo pushing past the detends like on other guns? is it dual detents? and can you shoot brittle paint? such as evil? Im trying to get a vid up, I was just talking about it in fact.

It IS dual detents, and they are both on side so they cradle the ball. Currently I have not had problems with my halo either.

I played a tourney saturday which used PMI premium, which is the same brittle stuff as evil (same company) and I Didnt break one time during play, and went through several cases throughout the day.

The only problem I had was the grips. YOU NEED some sticky grips or something, the stock APP's are total crap. Im also not much on the feedneck, a clamping is in order.

triggerman
01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
steelrat what is ote's web site?

squid what are the detents made of? I.E. steel wire, rubber, etc.

demented rabbit imo a bushmaster has a bit of a kick or any electro spyder, a matrix or emag would both be on the low kick end.

LeatherPants
01-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Steel's 04 rips. I had an 04 Alias that I was testing at the CA AOday...that thing sucked. I was choping like a madman. I chopped in the Viking too but the Viking is a solid performer.

I really wasn't impressed by the Alias.

Sorry you had to clean your gun after I shot it Steel.

heftylefty
01-20-2004, 10:27 PM
from my friends vikings that ive shot(03), they were just not as accurate as other guns ive owned(timmy, angel). i know about the barrel to bore match but i was using a scepter kit and a boomstick, and it still wasnt that accurate. i also think that vikings have kick compared to an impulse or bushmaster.

poolshark5226
01-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Mine defenitely kicks less than my Impy and my 'Mag. Accuracy is on par with both as well, as well as my friends NYX, Eblade, mech cocker...need I go on? But, its more efficient and reliable than all of those...needless to say I like it, I'll like it more when i throw a new board in it:)

Ov3rmind
01-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by heftylefty
from my friends vikings that ive shot(03), they were just not as accurate as other guns ive owned(timmy, angel). i know about the barrel to bore match but i was using a scepter kit and a boomstick, and it still wasnt that accurate. i also think that vikings have kick compared to an impulse or bushmaster.
Souns like your friend's Viking has some problems. The Viking should be just as accurate as any other gun, and in my experience, they have less kick than an Impulse or a Bushy.

heftylefty
01-20-2004, 10:45 PM
im not gonna say that my friends gun has problems but i was just not impressed with it. plus it doesnt like me much...last game of the finals(had to win to place 1st) and the gun decided to run out of batteries when i was chronoing. his halo also went out earlier in the day. we unfortunately placed 3rd overall.

ive just had bad luck with guns that i dont own, but definetely get the featherlite. it will be moeny well spent for sure:)

Dragoon
01-20-2004, 11:00 PM
I can't add much that was'nt already said. I think it has just about all be covered.

But.... Forget the Featherlight and go for a Destructive Customs! :) Just my milling preference.

Douglas

PS I own both an '03 and a Destructive Customs '04

minimag187
01-20-2004, 11:00 PM
My 03 Viking /w razor blade and Was board, eyes, and lpr lowered was very nice. Extremely fast, no maintenence really. It was heavy though, but the 04 was fixed pretty much. I noticed my 03 climbed when I walked it (kicked up).

11_Mile_TMaster
01-20-2004, 11:48 PM
This whole FSDO thing sounds a lot like another term that We are familiar with... Shoot-Up, I mean. I understand that in theory it's not as pronounced as it is on the RT Family (Not that I particularly notice with my RT Pro,) but, Well, A dog's a dog.

A Gun with FSDO: First shot comes out slower than normal.

RT Pro: First shot comes out slower than normal.

Any comments? Someone want to show me what I'm missing?

MMM
01-21-2004, 12:27 AM
I'm not sure about the RT because I've never experienced it but as Brennan said earlier my Viking has had FSDO problems. I do know what they are caused by and have every faith in the AKA boys that it will be remedied. The first ram that came with my marker was sticky which caused the FSDO. I took the familiarization course with Larry (one of the owners of AKA, I recommend the course, it's free too) and after her described the internals I understood where the problem came from and how they are working to fix it. The new 04's have a few of the problems fixed but as with all new models there are other new glitches they have to work on too.
The up side is that they have awsome customer support and they are a great company. I've called Dan (their master tech)on his cell Sunday afternoons and he's always happy to hear from me (the sucker) and help me out with my random problems. I stuck a warp feed on and needed a few questions answered, I'm only mediocre as far as electrical aptitude.

Anyway no marker is perfect, they all have problems. What makes or breaks it is how the company backs their product and AKA does a stellar job.

Ov3rmind
01-21-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by 11_Mile_TMaster
This whole FSDO thing sounds a lot like another term that We are familiar with... Shoot-Up, I mean. I understand that in theory it's not as pronounced as it is on the RT Family (Not that I particularly notice with my RT Pro,) but, Well, A dog's a dog.

A Gun with FSDO: First shot comes out slower than normal.

RT Pro: First shot comes out slower than normal.

Any comments? Someone want to show me what I'm missing?
With FSDO, the first shot is low, but the rest shoot at about the same velocity.

With shoot up, you can start shooting hotter any time, not just the first shot.

Steelrat
01-21-2004, 12:38 AM
OTE's website is Ontargetentertainment.com.

Barfly
01-21-2004, 12:43 AM
aren't the new destruction vikings the lightest? They look cooler than the featherlite imo.

rikkter
01-21-2004, 06:06 AM
another website for them is http://www.darkviking.com/info/
they show a bunch of different types, and accessories(sp?)

right now, i'm waiting on my viking. should be here tomorrow with was board, eyes, switch, blade, ccm norise, all the good stuff.

as for the FSDO, search on PBN about it, theres actually a LOT of info on how to correct it.

cledford
01-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Regardless of what people want to admit - FSDO is a huge issue with '03 Vikings and higher - and until just a few weeks ago AKA refused to publicly acknowledge it, instead (IMHO) "blaming" users for not using enough lube, having dirty guns, mis-adjusted dwell, etc. There is now a 4 page thread over at PBN about the problem. When you consider the small numbers (in comparison to other markers) that AKA produces, the numbers of people with FSDO is pretty high. The plot thickens even more when you consider that they changed the orings in the '04 model to resolve the issue - while never admitting a problem.

I had an '02 model with NO FSDO. Something has changed over at AKA and I'm interested in what the issue is. As I stated in the PBN thread:

As I've said elsewhere in this thread that FSDO is not simply "on" or "off." It starts as soon the marker resets from a firing cycle and builds from there. Does it take 10 minutes or so to build to a "noticeable" level? Yes, but at any point between the end of a cycle and the next what ever is causing it is incremental building back. That means one thing - inconsistent velocity, which mean inaccuracy. Anyone who things that after a set time (say 10 minutes) that the condition causing FSDO just magically "pops" back in existence is fooling themselves. The same goes for simply upping the dwell. Just because you don't see FSDO any longer (the worst case example of what ever the problem is) doesn't mean that this issue isn't still there to some lesser extent.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=379878&highlight=%2Bfsdo

-Calvin

sneakyhacker420
01-21-2004, 11:27 AM
eat your heart out... www.darkviking.com has plenty of vids and pics on the forums

and overall... theres basically not one con to the 04's that i can name

AzrealDarkmoonZ
01-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Cledford, as posted above my FSDO seems to have died from simply rotating the hammer and taking out the cartridge, could be the ORings simply need some sort of movement, or somesuch.

Az