PDA

View Full Version : Something's wrong with the date (no pun intended)

Matt_mg
01-19-2004, 10:56 PM
You know they captured Saddam in December right?

In the attached picture you can see a small tree yeilding fruits, it look IMO like a date tree (fruits are red-brown in color, look in the right of the picture I'm no expert on plants but those are fruits that's a no-brainer), see the problem yet?

That's right, even in Iraq's "hot as hell" weather fruits don't grow in December... So my guess is that they captured him this summer and revealed the info only now so they could do the appropriate DNA test, otherwise why would they lie?

I wanted to look at the video of when CNN's Nic Robertson visits the farm and Saddam's "spider hole." but it's available only to suscribers...

-Jôker-
01-19-2004, 11:05 PM
dif regions have dif season rotations so during our winter austrailia could be havingh their summer imnot sure of which regions but i do know that is a fact

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
01-19-2004, 11:18 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/solarsystem/images/solstice.jpg

With the earth's axis at an angle, in some regions it is summer while at the same time. in another part of the world it can be winter.

....I don't know what got into me. I guess I remembered something from one of my science classes. :eek:

Matt_mg
01-19-2004, 11:42 PM
guess I remembered something from one of my science classes.
Except the fact that Iraq has the same season rythm that we do...

RobAGD
01-19-2004, 11:55 PM
The Winter/Summer deal is Northern/Southern Hemispheres

Are you sure that pic if from the capture ? And not a photo from the pool to just show Army guys around something ? Thats looks like they are looking down a well not the "spider" hole they showed on TV.

-Robert

cris8762
01-20-2004, 12:01 AM
not to be Mr. Obvious, but the top of the pic says "Saddam's hiding place":D

Chojin Man
01-20-2004, 01:59 AM
I don't understand why a fruit tree wouldn't bear fruit in Dec. if the conditions were right.

MrWallen
01-20-2004, 02:31 AM
Even though it says it's his hiding spot right on the pic, that doesn't look like the same holes from all the TV pics and clips, maybe just a dif angle?

Ov3rmind
01-20-2004, 04:17 AM
I thought the hole he was hiding in was inside a building, guess I was wrong.

nm, that's the hole (http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/12/15/hideout.robertson.otsc/index.html).

oldsoldier
01-20-2004, 08:11 AM
You can force-cycle a plant to grow out of season too...how do you think you get fresh strawberries in december?

Matt_mg
01-20-2004, 09:16 AM
You can force-cycle a plant to grow out of season too...how do you think you get fresh strawberries in december?
Agreed but I still think this is worth looking into, anyone a botanist here? The mean of temperature in winter is 49, is that enough for dates?

shartley
01-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Simply put, those who want to doubt, will. Those who want to find fault in ANYTHING, will. Heck, there are those who still think man did not walk on the moon.

impostal22
01-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by shartley
Simply put, those who want to doubt, will. Those who want to find fault in ANYTHING, will. Heck, there are those who still think man did not walk on the moon.

i think it's always a good idea to look for evidence towards the false side of anything. otherwise, we're all just blindly believing and trusting those who tell us what we want to hear.

e mag
01-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by impostal22

i think it's always a good idea to look for evidence towards the false side of anything. otherwise, we're all just blindly believing and trusting those who tell us what we want to hear.
That's very true. You shouldn't doubt everything you are told, but you shouldn't just believe anything. It's really important to question things that happen and form your own opinion. Also, although we should be able to believe the government, they have lied about things in the past and don't forget that they are a bias source of information.

cphilip
01-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Just one problem.... those are not Dates. Dates do not grow on trees. They grow on Palms. And those you are pointing too are definately trees or bushes with a citrus type leaf. They appear to be a small Citrus of some kind. And tyicaly the Citrus trees ripen in fall and on well into winter and early part of the following year. Depending on the type.

The palm in the back left of the far left Soldier could be a very old Date Palm but its hard to tell. Date season starts in about middle of May and ends around the first of October. Sometimes a little later. But more often by late August or sometime in Sept.

shartley
01-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by impostal22

This is VERY true… but there is a HUGE difference between doubting EVERYTHING told to you (as is the case with those wanting to find ANYTHING wrong with the current administration), and questioning things that are obviously not right. There are times when you should NOT question everything put in front of you… for to do so is not simply being “smart” or “wise”, it is being stupid. And if folks can’t tell the difference….. oh well. :rolleyes: ;)

cphilip
01-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Plus there is a big difference from going with wrong information and not waiting to see what comes up before you show your ignorance.... those are not Dates. So the whole entire primise is erroneous from the get go. End of story.

Added on edit. Another tip off they are not Dates is that Dates are in clusters like grapes from a female frond. Those are individialy clinging from the ends of branches. Like citrus! ;)

poolshark5226
01-20-2004, 03:18 PM
on a seperate note, I love dates, except for the pit. But mmm dates

PolishSausage
01-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Just one problem.... those are not Dates. Dates do not grow on trees. They grow on Palms. And those you are pointing too are definately trees or bushes with a citrus type leaf. They appear to be a small Citrus of some kind. And tyicaly the Citrus trees ripen in fall and on well into winter and early part of the following year. Depending on the type.

The palm in the back left of the far left Soldier could be a very old Date Palm but its hard to tell. Date season starts in about middle of May and ends around the first of October. Sometimes a little later. But more often by late August or sometime in Sept.

Owned....

impostal22
01-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by shartley

This is VERY true… but there is a HUGE difference between doubting EVERYTHING told to you (as is the case with those wanting to find ANYTHING wrong with the current administration), and questioning things that are obviously not right. There are times when you should NOT question everything put in front of you… for to do so is not simply being “smart” or “wise”, it is being stupid. And if folks can’t tell the difference….. oh well. :rolleyes: ;)

noone suggested that you question and doubt EVERYTHING. someone had a hypothesis about what appeared to him to be dates, and asked about it. much better than having him not think about it at all if you ask me. :rolleyes: ;)

cphilip
01-20-2004, 07:20 PM
...but yet you should have "doubted" wether or not they were Dates the very first thing!

That was so key to the whole rest of it that it deserved a mintue of doubt!

... then go on from there. An open mind starts at the very first of the issue and confirms the basic facts before he concludes if their is any reason to move beyond that point with any other doubts... The time to doubt is at the very first of it all. In this case you wanted to believe that part first and move over it. Because it suited your position. Not because you felt it was good to be a "doubter" if things. If you realy felt that way the first part would not have slipped past your nature of doubt. The author of this thread expressed doubt about that part too. Unfortunately he never confirmed that part before he struck out further. He concluded that fact and went on...