PDA

View Full Version : fast hpa question need answer quick

temps
01-20-2004, 06:06 PM
I run my clasic valve mini mag on c02, but just recently the pb feild switched all rental guns to compressed air. I am lending my mag to a good friend to play there tonight so my question is should I stick with c02 or borrow one of there rental gun compressed air tanks and run my mag on that???

also I just want to double check, I don't have to do anything to the mag to make it run on compressed air right?? (pretty sure i don't but just on the safe side)

i'm leaving in like 3 hours so a fast reply would be great :D

FreakBaller12
01-20-2004, 06:08 PM
you don't have to do anyhtign with your gun, if your gonna be shooting fast and it's cold you should run it on nitro, indoors, warm and it's alright, i'd rather run on n2 though.

soccer4minimags
01-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Do you have any issues with your current set-up now? If not then use what is cheapest at the field.

temps
01-20-2004, 06:12 PM
it would be free to borrow the compressed air tank..

my set up works great right now..

paintball boy 20
01-20-2004, 06:21 PM
compressed air would be better if it is free. It is cleaner than CO2, but fills don't last as long. It is much cleaner and more consistent

MarkM
01-20-2004, 06:35 PM
If you have a full set of spare O rings then use the free compressed air tanks, if not then stick with CO2 as you will get leaks switching the gases. You might get lucky but probably not. this is due to the working temps of the two different gases, the O rings have got used to working with the gas they have been exposed to.

temps
01-20-2004, 06:57 PM
k thx i guesse i'll stick with co2 as that is what i'm used to.. and i'm lending the gun so i don't want leaks + i would only have what the feild had in the way of mag o rings... :( (not much)

sniper1rfa
01-20-2004, 07:05 PM
mark, i never had that problem... ive never heard of the problem... it makes me wonder... is it a problem? The answer, of course, is no.

i used to switch between the two constantly.

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
01-20-2004, 07:43 PM
I swear by HPA. The classic will run on CO2, but it will run great on HPA.

maglover52
01-20-2004, 07:59 PM
get n2

MarkM
01-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by sniper1rfa
mark, i never had that problem... ive never heard of the problem... it makes me wonder... is it a problem? The answer, of course, is no.
i used to switch between the two constantly.

Then you got lucky, CO2 by its nature runs cold HPA does the opposite and as such what is sealing in a cold situation often won't in a hot. We are only talking about 3 max 4 O rings but it happens. Nowhere near as often as before as most people will change the O rings as a regular service schedule and if done at the same time as switching to HPA then the issue wouldn't arise..as I started this post off, you got lucky. I may well live on the Angel section but I still own mags.

sniper1rfa
01-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Teflon o-rings (the ones in the on/off, where expansion does occur, and as such where the co2 cools off) are rated for a temperature range of -300 to 450 degrees farienheight. This is a range. It means the o-ring will act tolerably similar in any temperature in that range. It also means that the temperature can flunctuate between those numbers without affecting the seal. CO2 will never bring something down to that temperature in a paintball gun, as it is a solid before -300...

The rest of the o-rings are polyeurathane, which have a temperature range of -40 to 180 degrees farienheight.

O-rings do not get "used" to temperature ranges. I dont know where you came up with that idea, but it is complete and utter crap (sorry).

The teflon o-rings will "get used to" the shape they are in, its called deformation, but the mags internals put a mechanical load on them, so it doesnt matter.

Since you live in the angel tech forum, would you believe i have run multiple angels on co2? And then switched to HPA? and then back?
i bet you wont... :)

MarkM
01-21-2004, 12:31 PM
The point I made about living on the Angel forums was meant as to say just 'cos that is where my current interest lie I have gone down the Automag route ;)
Sure you can run an Angel on CO2..not reccomended but possible and done originally by people in the Scandinavian countries due to the lack of readily available HPA. The "range" that an O ring has is a tolerence level and of course you have never seen a butyl O ring deform or a urethane O ring do the same thing, the urethane O ring IS more stable but can fail none the less.

It is not a requirement to swap the O rings if you swap gases but a nod in the direction that if you do indeed swap gases be aware that this "can" happen. How much are the seals...pennies, how long does it take to replace them...minutes. No pre warning and no spares and you are stuck. C02 is a volitile (sp?) gas when compared the HPA and as such the sudden changes in pressure and temperature "can" effect the O rings.